SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Relapse or Recover??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/176157-relapse-recover.html)

hello-kitty 05-13-2009 09:19 AM

I always wonder, how do they GET these statisctics? They've never asked me, Tess, or Hank...that's 3 recovering crack addicts, right there

I feel the same way and I have 3 years clean now. And if I relapsed 5 years from now, would that completely screw up or support the statistics? There's too much unknown in the statistics to be reliable or meaningful when applied to an individual.

Recovery requires work. But first you have to want to stay clean. Then you have to deal with all the demons that drove you to use in the first place. Using drugs is a coping mechanism, and until an addict changes underlying behavior, they don't have much of a chance to stay clean for the rest of their lives. It will always be a struggle for some. Some unfortunately, choose not to engage in the struggle.

Some may get clean, and stay clean, but still never recover from their addiction, if you know what I mean.

That's why focusing on ourselves and our behaviors is what is really important. It's hard not to worry about a loved one. But it's key to remember that worry isn't going to fix anything and statistics mean nothing on an individual level. There is always hope. And there is always hopeless.

Do what makes your life meaningful and makes you successful. Then, whether your addict recovers or not, you won't have wasted your life because of someone elses inability to commit to dealing with life on lifes terms.

bluejay6 05-13-2009 09:49 AM

Thanks H-K. Needed to hear that today.

Angelic17 05-13-2009 05:04 PM

Thank You all very much for your time, your knowledge, and your support.
I know that I shouldn't waste my life worrying about my sons addiction,
but he's my boy, and I do. I let go, and then for some reason, I always take it back.
I have to disconnect myself from him.

On a happier note, his counselor called today,
He said that my son is doing remarkably well
He also mentioned that he is helping the addicts
that are new in treatment, and is a great role model.

He is doing everything he is supposed to do,
and all that is needed to recover.

I am happy with that.
So I am going to live in the moment

All of you great people have helped me
to see, what I need to do for me.

Thank You Very Much,
:thanks

hello-kitty 05-13-2009 05:49 PM

I think you can still worry about your son. I am sure I would worry about my son if he was an addict. But somehow I would have to find a way to accept that I couldn't change him. I'd have to learn how to put my son in my HP's hands and keep my own life stable and healthy. Tough. For sure. I don't know how I'd do it. I'd probably forget about the statistics and start praying my butt off. I'd find a support group of people in a similar situation. I'd set small goals for myself and take baby steps towards them.

People can and do recover despite the horrible statistics. It happens on their terms, when they are ready. Unfortunately we didn't cause their addiction. We can't control their addiction and we can't cure their addiction.

But we can hold ourselves together.