Addicted to the addict

Old 05-12-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

((((((hugs)))))))
Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss. It is difficult to experience these moments. But you had taken a very important step in helping others with your experience, that is very impressive. As you are sharing your troubled experiences and suggestions will give some ideas to other parents to take necessary steps in helping their teens.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No I won't give up because people need to be made aware of what's floating around out there and how dangerous prescription meds.(NOT JUST OXY)are.There will always be the addict and the more people that are educated about the risk involved with prescription meds.the more they will understand and know what they are in for.Of course there will always be people who become very offended at the thought of losing Oxycontin.I guess these are the one's who are still romancing their drug of choice.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oxy was my DOC. I'm also a recovering codie. I have 13 months clean of all pain killers. I became addicted after a surgery. Most people who use pain killers after surgery do not become addicted. There are people who need that drug after surgery. I had spinal surgery, and when I was in the recovery period, I needed it. People in end-stage terminal cancer pain also need effective pain killers and oxycontin is a good choice for some of them. Who are we to take away something that can ease their terrible suffering because some of us misused it for a period of time and became addicted?

People with the disease of addiction use substances to block out their feelings. They will do this with some other type of substance until they deal with their real issues, IMO. Banning this drug will only create demand for some other drug, or more demand for heroin or other street opiates.

It is offensive that you accuse us of romanticizing this drug. I had a horrible problem with addiction. I have to work every day on me to recover. It hasn't been easy, and I'm certainly not feeling "romantic" about oxy. It's a pain killer. It's for people in severe pain. Nothing romantic about it. Your generalization is cutting. I suppose it is because you are now hurting that you feel the need to hurt. I'm sorry your son died. I wish I could turn back the time and save him. I would like to ban addiction, if I could, but that isn't how it works. Banning oxy won't help. It might be more helpful if you shared your son's story than if you worked on banning a particular substance. I promise you, if oxy wasn't there, I would have turned to something else. That's what addicts who are not working a program do.

Love,
KJ
Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
mi vida loca

Originally Posted by lostthebattle View Post
No I won't give up because people need to be made aware of what's floating around out there and how dangerous prescription meds.(NOT JUST OXY)are.There will always be the addict and the more people that are educated about the risk involved with prescription meds.the more they will understand and know what they are in for.Of course there will always be people who become very offended at the thought of losing Oxycontin.I guess these are the one's who are still romancing their drug of choice.

i understand the points you are trying to make very well, however, does your signature suggest an outright ban on oxycontin? sadly, if oxycontin was in fact banned, heroin is next in line and i dont doubt for a second that abusers of oxycontin may turn in that direction; cheaper and easy to get, etc. i personally believe that the majority of people who will become 'very offended' by 'losing' oxycontin are the ones that use it legally/legitimately and as prescribed. was your last comment directed toward the addict user of oxycontin/to the legit pain patient using oxycontin who doesnt have a choice when it comes to living with his/her intractable pain or everyone in general who uses oxycontin? personally for me, i would much rather be 'romancing' a reasonable quality of life than having to take all these meds/spend 100's of dollars+ a month just to be able to literally get out of bed first thing in the morning--take care all
Old 05-14-2009, 04:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((((lostthebattle))))))

I can understand why it would seem like a good idea to ban oxycotin. If banning it would work the war on drugs would be over by now and there would not be any addicts.

It is not the drugs that create the addict; taking drugs is merely a symptom. I believe much of the disorder is about brain and body chemistry.

I want to write more on this later I might start another thread.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Personally i dont think the legal use should be banned but i think that doctors need to be more responsible with prescribing and recognizing addiction. There are many many drugs on the market and illegal drugs that an addict will use if oxy is taken off the market. I have been prescribed pain pills many times but always had responsible docs that made sure i never had enough to develop an addiction. But there are docs out there who just pull out the prescription pad whenever asked. The docs is the key to stopping this. Pharmacists can also assist if they see trends and a good pharmacist will call a doc if they see a trend or problem developing - such as doc shopping.

The other area that must be controlled is online purchasing - that is a very dangerous source for these and other drugs and something must be done about that. I know many kids use the online sources for buying drugs and you never really know what you're getting this way.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

It really does not matter how much illegal and legal drugs are "controlled" it will not stop the problem. This is not the problem and it is a lot like cutting off branches instead of striking at the root.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think the sad part is how Purdue miss lead the pubic on this drug. There really needs to be some kind of control put in place and the only way that is going to happen is if people take a stand, too many young life's have been lost to this one drug that just floats around our schools and many more will be.

I like how one woman put it:
Take OxyContin off the market for the public, reserving it for specialized licensed doctors, who can use it for the most extreme cases. Then clean up the medical, patient, and public “mess” that this one multi-billion dollar drug has caused.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
mi vida loca

Originally Posted by MyJoey View Post
I like how one woman put it:
Take OxyContin off the market for the public, reserving it for specialized licensed doctors, who can use it for the most extreme cases. Then clean up the medical, patient, and public “mess” that this one multi-billion dollar drug has caused.

Just my two cents.

im sure this is just a rough plan of how oxycontin could be more regulated but as i sit here and think, i will add my 'food for thought'....are these specialized licensed doctors going to be accessible to anyone? what about people with state aid? can people like me that dont carry private insurance see such a provider AND it wont cost me an arm and a leg? who gets to decide what is considered an 'extreme case' and most imporantantly, who is going to do all of this? the DEA? i personally already think they have far too much control over my medical information/medication options/etc. the DEA wasnt organized to take the legal medications away from legit patients, so who would oversee this? im sorry but i have background on both sides of the fence and ADDICTION kills addicts, if oxycontin wasnt there, as i said above, heroin, poppy seed tea and whatever else suits the addict will most definitely be out there. take care all--
Old 05-14-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kj3880 View Post
Oxy was my DOC. I'm also a recovering codie. I have 13 months clean of all pain killers. I became addicted after a surgery. Most people who use pain killers after surgery do not become addicted. There are people who need that drug after surgery. I had spinal surgery, and when I was in the recovery period, I needed it. People in end-stage terminal cancer pain also need effective pain killers and oxycontin is a good choice for some of them. Who are we to take away something that can ease their terrible suffering because some of us misused it for a period of time and became addicted?

People with the disease of addiction use substances to block out their feelings. They will do this with some other type of substance until they deal with their real issues, IMO. Banning this drug will only create demand for some other drug, or more demand for heroin or other street opiates.

It is offensive that you accuse us of romanticizing this drug. I had a horrible problem with addiction. I have to work every day on me to recover. It hasn't been easy, and I'm certainly not feeling "romantic" about oxy. It's a pain killer. It's for people in severe pain. Nothing romantic about it. Your generalization is cutting. I suppose it is because you are now hurting that you feel the need to hurt. I'm sorry your son died. I wish I could turn back the time and save him. I would like to ban addiction, if I could, but that isn't how it works. Banning oxy won't help. It might be more helpful if you shared your son's story than if you worked on banning a particular substance. I promise you, if oxy wasn't there, I would have turned to something else. That's what addicts who are not working a program do.

Love,
KJ
You should be very proud of your recovery time because I do know how hard the struggle is to break free from Oxycodone.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

In reality we all know that Oxycontin will never be banned.If we can get the F.D.A to take another look at this drug and the high risk of addiction and deaths that Oxycontin is responsible for then maybe,just maybe the F.D.A will enforce stricter guidelines On how Oxycontin is prescribed.There are injuries and diseases that require strong and around the clock pain relief.That is what Oxycontin was originally made for.Somewhere down the line Oxycontin has been prescribed for minor pain and this is where the problem is.If a person has true and servere pain then this person will not sell off their pain killers and this will help get Oxy off the streets.
If I offended anyone it wasn't personel.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
mi vida loca

oh, believe you me, if someone found out about the particular meds that i take and offered to buy them off me @ even $1000 bucks a pill, i would laugh in their face--there is NO PRICE in this entire world that one could pay me to be un/undermedicated...no way, no how...even being medicated there are times that my pain is pretty darn close to 'im going to rip my hair out now' kind of pain, i couldnt imagine ever being un/undermedicated again. so yes, i agree that the majority of legit pain patients are unlikely to sell their RX'ed meds. one interesting fact i have read in several places on the net is that less than 1% of legit, chronic pain patients develop a true 'addiction' to their prescribed narcotics, i dont mean a DEPENDENCE (which is bound to happen with long enough/longer term use) i think 1% is pretty impressive out of all the CPP accounted for...take care all--
Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I dont much about regulation but i do know about docs. As krissy said - she has true pain and needs her meds. if her doc gives her more than she needs well then she may consider selling some but if her docs are good and only give her what she needs then she wont. its pretty simple.

i had foot surgery for a trapped nerve a while back and suffered cronic pain for about 9 months total. i didnt even leave my home for three months after surgery and i wore slippers out for at least 6 months. this was pain that would drop me to the ground in a heap crying. After the surgery my doc gave me about a week 1/2 of pain pills - i dont even remember the first week. After that he would only prescribe me 3 or 4 pills at a time and was very clear that he would not refill it again for 3 or 4 days. When i couldnt take the pain anymore i'd call the office in tears and the nurse would send over a few more. this is a doc that was very knowledgeable about addiction and was very clear that what i was on was highly addictive and he was not going to let that happen to me. He said i had to tough it out each day as long as i could before i took the pill.

All i know is that if i had another doc who gave me a month at a time then who knows what kind of addiction i could have developed. If all docs were this responsible when they prescribed pain meds then we may not have the excess in our society. I am very thankful that I had a doc who cared enough about his patients to be this tough on me.
of course we're never going to stop addiction to pain meds and addicts will always find a way but i still think that docs being more accountable can help to save some lives.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
mi vida loca

TRUST ME-there is no way in hell or anywhere else that if i had excess of meds that i may consider selling them, ive got kids myself and i would NEVER EVER EVER EVER for MANY reasons, one being that i dont want this **** i take floating around in our schools 'consider' selling my leftovers, if there ever were any. bad, bad, bad example there-sorry. secondly, there are only a few 'narcotics' that can be phoned in and believe me, none of which i take can be...i would be livid with my doc if he actually expected me to come to his office every 3-4 days to get a new script....my doc gives me mine in 2 months at a time (post-dated and current-dated scripts) and while i can sympathize with CP, there is NO MEDAL at the end of the day in waiting it out to take pain meds-any doctor in my opinion that believes that 'toughing it out' until you take a pill is a moron as once your pain gets 'that' bad, its very hard to get back on top of it and you are then chasing it all day long trying to settle the 'beast' down. i dont know what kind of doctor would even say something like that in addition to the comment about not wanting anyone to get addicted (unless a patient has a known history of abuse/addiction) i would assume this prescribing doctor was either a PCP or a surgeon? i would be very surprised if he was a pain mgmt. doctor....even my own surgeon would laugh right along with me if i suggested him giving me 4 days of meds at a time....there is no way in my condition this is even reasonable....i think doc are half the problem....the ones that arent educated enough...the ones that think all patients will become addicted, did you all know that in med school, students get ONE HOUR of training in PAIN MANAGEMENT? amazing
Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

(About ten years ago I shattered my wrist and ended up having 7 surgeries in a 9 month period.Took bone from my hip to put in my wrist(that was the worst)have plate in wrist and pins in the joints of my ring and pinkie finger.
I thought my surgeon was the greatest doctor until he quit giving me Vicodin and Percocet's.Never taken pain killers before all this no one, not once, told me that there was a risk of addiction.The doctors did tell me the stuff they used to put you to sleep for surgeries could leave a person feeling drained for a while.Here I was thinking I felt pretty good for someone getting put to sleep every other month.Then poof the pills were gone and I felt like S**t.
It took a year at least before I had my normal motivation back.
Anyways that's been 10 years ago that I took pain killers.Never took Oxycontin and for that I'm thankful.
Since Ryan (my son)has died in such a senseless,STUPID way I am angry and then I read the post from KJ and I do remember the addiction that can happen to a person if they are faced with an injury and they pretty much have to take something.
The problem I have is (1)Oxycontin on the street
(2)Kids buying Oxycontin from people that have a script for Oxy
(3)Doctor writing the script to people that keep selling on the street,month after month
(4)Oxycontin is time released and the kids buying oxy see the 1 pill, want to get high, crush the pill and if it is an 80mg oxy they get a hold of,well if it's crushed down that would be equal to (16) 7.5 mg Percocet's(16) pills crammed into (1) Oxycontin pill.
Kids well they don't think and they buy A pill and not thinking one pill is going to kill them and it does.Every day it kills them.In every state,every town,Oxy is killing teenagers and this is what I am talking about.These kids are the ones that need someone to step up to the plate and tell the F.D.A that something has got to be done.People this drug Oxycontin is killing young people that don't get a chance at life because they are losing their life before it ever really begans.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

=lostthebattleOxy is killing teenagers and this is what I am talking about.These kids are the ones that need someone to step up to the plate and tell the F.D.A that something has got to be done.People this drug Oxycontin is killing young people that don't get a chance at life because they are losing their life before it ever really begans.
I would not spit on the head of the FDA if he were on fire. A much more common killer is aspartame if has full blessing of the FDA but people die from it every day the stuff is poison and they allow it to be put in foods and some people don't even know the stuff is deadly.