Question

Old 05-09-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ex D-Boy View Post
The short answer : No.

The long answer : Why even bother risking it? During my 4 years of heroin addiction I had tried all other drugs and alcohol. I could take and leave them all, even refuse them when offered to me (free of charge) My love affair was with heroin and heroin only. That drug demanded my full attention (physical, financial, emotional)

What I have found during my recovery is that while I am not in danger of switching addictions (from heroin to coke or heroin to alcohol or heroin to pot) that when I ingest any substance that alters my ability to make good judgements I am at risk for relapse. After drinking a few beers my confidence suddenly is much higher and I believe I can handle just 1 or 2 shots of dope.

I found it was like a little tease for me. Getting high or drunk on other substances just gave me a little taste of what I was really looking for. Within a matter of a few hours I was looking all over town for any dope or pain pills I could find...

So for me, it is just much easier to stay away from all substances and live life sober
OMG, D-boy is growing up! Pretty soon we're going to have to change your name to D-man! Great response, D! Your new maturity is very appealing...your sponsor should be very proud.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

For me, and this is only my opinion: A drug is a drug is a drug.

When my AS substitutes alcohol for cocaine, you can guarantee there's going to be blood, something broken, or someone in jail.

To me..being sober is not using any mind altering substances, whether they're legal or not.

JMO
Old 05-09-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

For me, I know I can't have alcohol or any drugs that get me high. It was never a 'muddy' issue with me, because I often/usually mixed alcohol with whatever other drug I used and if i couldn't get any drugs, I drank. I also know that in NA, it is's all over the literature that drinkning is using and that statement is read at every meeting "alcohol is a drug".
Still, many addicts want to manipulate things in order to still be able to drink.