Bagel Chip

Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bagel Chip

I ate one, last week. Doing so, I fractured 3 teeth, including the lower jaw bone supporting the teeth. All three teeth absessed. I look like Elephant woman, with all the swelling. Ask me if I care. I am scheduled for oral surgery to have all three teeth pulled, assuming the swelling goes down.

Got antibiotics and had an allergic reaction and ended up in the ER. Meds were switched. Also got a script for pain killers !!!! I have read too many stories about how some get hooked on pain killers, following dental procedures.

So here I am, sawing each pill in half and taking it only when I am ready to pull my hair out of my head. I should not drive but did. Whoa. It took everything I had to remain alert. Stopped by the butcher to get husband some lunch meat. I forgot that I am scarry to look at, right now. Left my wallet and the meat, there. Husband can go fetch, later on.

I am this loopy on 1/2 a pill and yet I have read stories of people popping 50 a day. It's obvious, I have no tolerance and do not intend to acquire one.

Oh yeah, it was time to put our 14 year old puppy to sleep. I stayed with him. It was very peaceful. It's been quite a weekend.

If I end up addicted to pain pills, just shoot me, please.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Oh you poor thing!!!!
Hope you feel better. Rest!
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

most dentist arent going to give you more than a few days worth after surgery - just do exactly what they say and if you are concerned call your dentist or pharmcists so you can be reassured that its okay to take them. pain pills do have a real and valid purpose and it certainly sounds like you need them right now.

i've had major dental surgeries and foot surgeries and with both after a few days with the pain pills they recommended high dosages of ibuprophen - dentist said its really good because it takes out inflammation. so if you really dont want to take pain pills maybe you can ask him about another option - wont work as good but still helps.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about your pup...with that loss on top of everything else I would still be in bed, forget the butcher shop.

I can barely stomach pain killers. I usually throw them up after 10 minutes. If it's stronger than taking a couple of Tylenol it's best if I just take some Nyquil and stay asleep in bed.

I hope your surgery goes safety and swiftly and you heal up soon!!

Alice
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG... I am soo sorry! Here is a big hug for you! Take care of yourself. Take the medication and just veg out... get well soon.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just wanted to send you hugs and support, reading your post made me chuckle I must admit - the thought of you leaving both your wallet AND the meat at the butchers. I hope you feel better soon - you've been through quite a trial. Hugs.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about your pup! :ghug

I had to have an impacted wisdom tooth removed when I was only about 90 days clean/sober.

That was miserable. I ended up with a dry socket twice and emergency visits in the evening to the dentist's to have it repacked!

I hope you get to feeling better soon!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Yikes, it sounds like the week from hell for you. Hope you heal soon and never eat another bagel chip.

And sorry about puppy, how sad that is. It's just so hard to part with our pets, I'm dreading the day my Toby goes.

Big hugs
Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling better very soon. What an ordeal!

Sorry about your puppy - we had to do the same about a month ago - he was 14 too.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dear Out

I too am sorry about your puppy and your teeth. I had abcesses a couple of times. I am petrified of dentist. And my dentist is great. Gives me that laughing gas to get me in the chair, if not I would have to take valium.

I too have a hard time taking pain medication, with my daughter being addicted to them, it scares me. BUT when I have tooth pain I TAKE THEM, as prescribed. That's why there are directions on them.

Hope you feel better soon. Please don't suffer, maybe try alternating 800mg motrin and narcotic. Thats what my dentist tells me to do.

Gotahavfaith
Old 05-04-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((OTL,))) I am sorry to hear about your dental ordeal and your pain. I also offer sympathies for the loss of your puppy.

I have had several root canals in my recent adult life. In my experience there is NO pain worse than dental pain; it ranks right up there with childbirth. Actually, I made it through natural childbirth, but I had to use pain pills for the dental work. After my first root canal I was in such pain (crying and moaning) that my best friend went to the pharmacist to get some medication. After the next dental work, my friend came by the house to check on me. I had taken ONE painkiller. Whoa, I skipped to the door and laughed all the way. I suppose I learned the power of these pills. They scared me, too.

My son claimed that he got hooked on pain killers after he had his wisdom teeth removed. I think he had his problem prior to his dental work.

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Heal quickly.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

:ghug2
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.

I will survive.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OTL,

I hope the tooth pain is starting to ease.

I know it will take much longer for the loss of your puppy to ease, I'm sorry.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We women just can't rest when we are ill, can we?

Please don't drive if you feel even the slightest bit loopy. Police can decide to charge for "under the influence of an intoxicating substance" if one gets into an accident and they discover that they are on pain meds, although this is rare.

It is up to the individual to determine if they are ok to drive while on a small amount of pain meds. That's why it says on the bottle "do not drive until you know how this medication affects you." When you aren't used to opiates, they can really knock you out.

I know that you are a very wonderful and responsible person and this was not your intention, but I also know you are the type of person who would feel awful if something happened and you or someone else was injured. So stay home and get your rest! Hubby will have to pick up his own stuff for now! Take care of you, the work will still be there when you feel better, dear!

Love,
KJ