The Next Generation

Old 05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Next Generation

My son got caught smoking a joint at school a couple of weeks ago. I talked with him and investigated extensively into why this happened (his 16th birthday, one of his genius friends thought it was "high" time he tried it and couldn't think of any better place than the school grounds~!)

So yeah, I was very upset. For one, both of my kids have so far as I know (and I'm far from drug-naive) been drug and alcohol-free. My daughter made it to 21 without ever doing drugs or getting drunk. So I was hoping my son would do the same, but it wasn't to be.

My sponsor advocated calming down as I was flipping out and thinking of taking him to NA meetings, a doctor, all kinds of stuff. She thinks it was experimental, and I agree now.

So I have to go to some classes at the school with him twice a week on drug-prevention.

Anyway, I came home yesterday, all upset about having to go to the second class and mad because I had to leave work early. It felt like forced codependency. Why should I have consequences for his actions?

But when I got there, he was out in the yard, had borrowed a mower (ours is broken) and mowed the yard without my asking, and was trimming the hedges. I was amazed. He said they had talked to him at the first class and stressed that my time is valuable and that he needs to show appreciation in some way for me coming with him to the classes.

I just think those teachers did a great job in having him do that. And I'm so happy that he mowed the yard, because he knows I hate that job.

KJ
Old 05-01-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! Sounds like he gets it.... probably a good kid that caught doing a bad thing... and hopefully it was just experimental and now he will know this wasn't a good idea. My kids have not fooled around with drugs... to my knowledge, but they certainly not concerned about wasting my time... sounds like he is a good kid... all the best!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

kj, wow sounds like you have yourself a really good kid. Also sounds like his school taught him more than just staying away from drugs.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kj - that's really cool. Your son sounds like a pretty amazing kid. At 16 it's awfully hard to hear adults speaking to you...It would have been awfully easy for him to blow them off and to never let you know about the conversation. Not only did he listen, he followed through and shared with you. I believe everything in our lives is an opportunity. I like the life lesson here. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This really touched my heart Kj.

What a kind gift to listen, and to care.

(((Hugs)))
Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think it's all good. It's not good he smoked pot but it has led to counselling together about this issue that is big in your life and in the end it may prevent him from doing it again.

My prayers go out for both of you, this just can't be easy.

Hugs
Old 05-02-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Aww KJ - sounds like he understands.

You know, I am getting ready to go to my 20 year class reunion and it was pretty common for everyone to at least "try" pot - even the good kids. I'm glad he's getting the scare tactics and counseling to hopefully prevent this in the future.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry your son chose his 16th birthday to do pot - but wonderful that the school stepped up to the plate and he is making amends -- Hope springs Eternal!!