Had a visit with my Son in his Therapeutic Community--all good.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had a visit with my Son in his Therapeutic Community--all good.

He's in Queens, NY at this point in a Methadone to Abstinance program. Long story short - he's 22, dealing with now 4 years of addiction issues....how time flies.

My wife and I went to see him Saturday, his mother (my ex) and her boyfriend were also there. That's not a problem at all.

He looked and sounded great. Courtesy of the State of NY and medicaid, they've been fixing some his dental problems (imagine an addict with bad teeth..). He's down to 20 mg of methadone daily and seems very positive. He was thrilled to see all of us.

There was one sad moment when he mentioned that instead of being where we were, we should be attending his college graduation. Our reply was there's still time if that's what you want. That's for him and his HP to decide.

I know he's far from cured...whatever that means. Hopefully he'll stay in the program, it can last up to 12 - 15 months. All I know that as of today, he's working towards sobriety, he's safe and moving forward in a positive manner.

I can't ask for more than that. I can't reflect on what should have been. I can only pray that this
part of his journey be beneficial.

Thanks for listening to me. Prayers and Wishes to all who
are suffering.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HurtingDad View Post
There was one sad moment when he mentioned that instead of being where we were, we should be attending his college graduation. Our reply was there's still time if that's what you want. That's for him and his HP to decide.
I think that's great that you gently encouraged him about his future and what he can still do with it! The guilt and remorse weighed so heavily on my mind in my early recovery that it was hard, if not impossible, to realize what I could do in recovery if I put my mind to it.

As always, I continue to keep him and you in my prayers! :ghug
Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't ask for more than that. I can't reflect on what should have been. I can only pray that this
part of his journey be beneficial.

Thanks for listening to me. Prayers and Wishes to all who
are suffering.
Amen!! Thanks for sharing this miracle in progress.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so glad that he is doing well. It sounds as if you are, too.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congratulations to your son! What great news for all of the people who really love him!

Thank you for sharing. HG
Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so pleased that he is continuing and that you had a good visit.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HurtingDad, thanks so much for posting. As terrible as your sons addiction has been for him, and for the entire family and all who love him. It is important to know, that all he has been through, will eventually make him a great man. And all his drug abuse has put you through will help you to understand the disease of addiction much better. Everyone makes mistakes, and addiction is an illness, a disease. Unfortunately the drug epidemic in our world does not prepare our kids for the down side of getting high. We all now know, that the first time is a choice, and after that it's a disease. It's up to us to educate our kids and let them know if they try drugs, that they might not be able to stop. Take them somewhere and show them what active drug addiction looks like. It sounds like your son is on the right path. Eventually this will be a thing of the past for your son. He is very fortunate, because he has his family on his side.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi hurtingDad, I'm sao glad to hear that your son is doing well. I'm sure it meant the world to him to have you all visit. Things do turn around and your son has a hugh chance of making something out of his life. My son has turned around tremendously (sp)) and is now working and living on his own. It's a super feeling. (For today)). Smiles, Bonnie
Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I so hope he stays another year.

It's never too late to start over/go back to school, especially with 2 feet firmly planted in sobriety.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you.
thank you for keeping us posted. :ghug
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I needed to read your post today, thank you so much for sharing your joy.

I am so happy for you and your family.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so glad to hear that he, and you, continue to do well!! I know it meant a lot to him to have all his parents come to see him.

It's never too late for him to go back to school...ask Freedom and I, who are both enrolled in school, as we speak

You all remain in my prayers!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your good news. Just as the others have said it's never to late to turn your life around. Sounds like your son has a good start.

Chris
Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My daughter is coming up on a year clean next month. She was 22 when she chose sobriety. She had been using for about four years, with the last 2 in heavy addiction to heroin. I am so glad that your son is seeking the help that he is. My daughter has also mentioned how she should be graduating from college instead of just starting back. When she tells me she will be 27 when she graduates, I remind her that she will still be 27 whether she goes to college or not. And I did not graduate until I was 31 so she still has much life to still live. Keeping your son and your family in my prayers. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks HDad for sharing your positive news. I read some of your prior posts and he has traveled a long and ardous road - as well as his family. It is always uplifting to read positive posts. It renews the ability to hope for all of us who have lived with addiction.
It is never too late to get your degree -- I was 31 by the time I finished and some people I know are much older -- thanks for sharing your wonderful news...
Old 04-28-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Addiction is a full time job

HurtingDad, My neighbor was 71 and went to college and got his degree. It's never to late. Your son is on his way to living clean and healthy. Your a good dad, and you never gave up on him. He is a very fortunate young man.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

HD,
I am so happy to read your good news, it brings tears to my eyes and puts hope in my heart. Thank you for keeping us posted. Julie
Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

It pays to keep the faith...who could of guessed this for your son a yr. ago??
What wonderful news.
My son just completed 14 mo. of treatment... the first 12 as inpatient and now two in a sober living home. He is enrolled in college.

There are many cases here of recovery...what a difference a yr. or two can make.
Hang in there as miracles happen.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing the good news - of your son's continuing recovery and yours. I remember those days - when it felt like it would NEVER change - but his HP has a plan for his life. And if he stays sober and clean, he can do anything - including college.

From my experience with my ASs, the longer he can be in treatment/halfway house/etc the better. More sober living days under his belt.

Just another example of "as long as there is breath, there is hope".

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler

Old 04-30-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Hopefully at our next visit we'll be able to take him out for a good lunch/diner. Every day he's there is a good one.