new but not so new

Old 04-21-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question new but not so new

Hello everyone! I am looking for some advice. I am completely lost as to what to do and how to go about doing it. I am completely sure that my sister is an addict. To marijuanna, narcotics, and random other medications. It started out as medicines to help with migranes and has grown out of control. She was to the point where she was going to 3 different ers for shots on a regular basis and then her dr put an order in for her to get narcotic shots every 8 hours. My other family memebers have noticed the differences in her just as i have but no one wants to step up and face her about it becuase they are afraid she will flip out. She has been down this road before she was in rehab when she was 16 for the same thing she is now 28. I am worried about her but i am more worried for her kids. there has been times i have stopped by the house to find her passed out on the couch becuase she has taken so many medications and her kids are running free around the house. my neice has had to grow up so fast and learn to take care of her brother and it is just not right . my son is not allowed over there unless i am presesnt. i am watching my sister slowly but surely do the same thing my mother did to us to her own kids and it kills me. I have talked to her husband but he is blind. he does not want to see what is going on and does not want to deal with it. there is a lot more that i will type later because in order to get the best advice but i needed to get a little off my chest now
Old 04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Melbear)) - welcome to SR!

I'm sorry about your sister, and especially her kids. You've come to a great place...lots of supportive people here, with some great ES&H (experience, strength & hope).

I'm an RA (recovering addict) but have loved ones who are also addicts. I also suffer from migraines but my neurologist says narcotics do more damage than good and I am on other types of medications.

There will be others along to greet you. Please keep reading and posting, asking questions.

One thing to learn is the 3 c's...we didn't cause it (the addiction), can't change it, and can't cure it.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Melbear, welcome. That's a very difficult situation you are in. Unfortunately, you can not control your sister's use, nor "make" her husband deal with it either. It's very difficult because young children are involved...that breaks my heart. I think if I was in your situation and came to believe the children's safety was at risk I would tell my sister and her husband that if nothing was done I would feel an obligation to notify child protection services. The addict may be unable to care enough at that point to get help, but I would hope the other responsibile parent would realize the seriousness if that was the case and take whatever action was necessary to protect the kids. But I don't know...I have not been in this particular situation and certainly can not tell you what is best for you and the kids.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Please keep reading and posting. Others will be along with experience to share.