How will I know when he is truly ready to stop using?

Old 04-19-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy How will I know when he is truly ready to stop using?

My ex-boyfriend is on his way to a six month rehab. He told me he wants to focus on his wife and kids (I though she was ex), but maybe we can hang out and get drunk when he gets out. I want this to work for him, but in my heart I know he is just going to use again. He says he wants to do this for his parents, his kids, his sister, in short everybody but me. I am so grateful for this site for the information and the reading and the compassion. I don't know yet what I'll do if he comes back to me, because I know he will only come back if he starts using and his family cuts him off. I play the scenario in my mind.....do I welcome him back with dinner or cut him off too.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redstar5105 View Post
My ex-boyfriend is on his way to a six month rehab. He told me he wants to focus on his wife and kids (I though she was ex), but maybe we can hang out and get drunk when he gets out.

Let me get this straight? He's still married? He maybe wants to hang out with you and get drunk after he gets out of rehab?

See if you can get a copy of the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. I'd also highly suggest the book "Women Who Love Too Much" by Robin Norwood.

Find Alanon meetings in your area and start attending on a regular basis. This will help put the focus back on you and how to heal yourself. If you don't start looking at yourself and your thought processes, even if you never hook back up with him again, you'll end up with another like him. I repeated that same mistake over and over for 13 years.

Learn to like yourself, even love yourself, to set healthy boundaries for yourself. Learn to be your own best friend. It's worth it, I promise.

:ghug :ghug
Old 04-19-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know yet what I'll do if he comes back to me, because I know he will only come back if he starts using and his family cuts him off. I play the scenario in my mind.....do I welcome him back with dinner or cut him off too.
Being the last resort is OK, with you?

He was panhandling when you met him, for cryin out loud.

I do not know you, but I do know you deserve to value yourself more than you do.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

My ex-boyfriend is on his way to a six month rehab. He told me he wants to focus on his wife and kids (I though she was ex), but maybe we can hang out and get drunk when he gets out.

This is your answer isnt it! Wait six months for him to come back out and use you again..
It sounds like he has you all figured out and you're still trying to figure him out!

Old 04-19-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Welcome to SR Redstar!!

Glad that you found us.
Freedom gave you some good book suggestions,

my advice would be to run as fast as you can
you deserve much better.

Stick around and read more, you'll get a lot of
support from others soon.

Glad you are here!

:day6
Old 04-20-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

so you're his safety net - if everyone else dumps him then he will come back to you? Sounds like he's just stringing you along for when he screws up - have some love and respect for yourself and say no to that offer because you're only going to get the messy scraps and you deserve more than that.