Son getting out of rehab soon.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son getting out of rehab soon.

I am scheduled to go to a meeting tomorrow at the rehab with my son and his therapist. He has been there for 2 weeks and it is likely that he will be getting out within the week. I don't think the best option is for him to come back home yet. I did bring up the possibility of a sober residence to the therapist when he called me. I don't know much about them, but he didn't seem to think my AS needed one since this was his first time in recovery. He seemed to think that my AS could come home armed with IOP therapy, NA meetings, and rules and agreements from his family. I am conflicted. I'm going to a nar-anon meeting tonight. My first one so I'll bring it up there as well. Thanks

Last edited by misscrabtree; 04-09-2009 at 06:00 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-09-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Two weeks is not a long time in rehab so i would also be very hesitant about any marked changes. Its wise of you to keep looking at the SL option - sometimes at meetings they'll also know of places that you can look into. If he does come home just be very clear about your boundaries - this is a chance to start over with new house rules. i will warn you that it is harder to find programs for diabetics. We have also looked into Job Corps - they have good programs that give them a home, teach them a skill, help them finish school if they didnt and are SL - i just dont know if they take diabetics.

Just be sure that whatever boundaries you have you have the strength to enforce and consequences if they are broken. I cant recall if you had answered whether or not his diabetes is under control? If its not then i would recommend that it also be a boundary. As you probably know living with someone who has out of control diabetes can be as crazy as living with an addict. I could never tell if my son's outbursts and craziness was diabetic or drugs. My AS's docs actually thought he was bi-polar for a while but i really think its just the physical effects of the bs highs and lows. The two diseases tend to feed off of one another - the bs gets their mind crazy and they dont feel well and that makes them want to use - using makes their diabetes go crazy and it just becomes a vicious cycle. My son was hospitalized a few times where we didnt know which situation was happening but in the end it was typically a combination of the two.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My son's diabetes is not in very good control. He was in the hospital a month and half ago with a DKA. We thought that would be a wake up call, but no! It was a downward spiral from there. I could definitely relate to what you said about the highs and lows and my AS was also diagnosed with bipolar while in IOP last Nov. I didn't think at that time he had bipolar and after some time neither did he. He does also have a diagnosis of clinical depression which doesn't surprise me either. Winnie I pray that your son is safe and gets help if he gets sick from the diabetes. Thanks for the support.