Language of Letting Go - April 8 - Self-Care

Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - April 8 - Self-Care

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Self Care

I don't precisely know what you need to do to take care of yourself. But I know you can figure it out.
--Beyond Codependency

Rest when you're tired.

Take a drink of cold water when you're thirsty.

Call a friend when you're lonely.

Ask God to help when you feel overwhelmed.

Many of us have learned how to deprive and neglect ourselves. Many of us have learned to push ourselves hard, when the problem is that were already pushed too hard.

Many of us are afraid the work wont get done if we rest when were tired. The work will get done; it will be done better than work that emerges from tiredness of soul and spirit. Nurtured, nourished people, who love themselves and care for themselves, are the delight of the Universe.

They are well timed, efficient, and Divinely led.

Today, I will practice loving self-care.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What a relief it was for me when I discovered that the universe could run without me....for an hour, for a day, for all time.

I learned it was okay to take a day and do something just for "me". I learned it was okay to rest and leave that which could wait for another day, I learned that I was a much nicer person when I could balance work with pleasure and just have fun.

Today is my "cleaning service day", something I do for myself because I work and am at that lucky time in my life when I can afford to pay someone else to clean. So I think I will balance that with a good day at work...and then pick up takeout for dinner...because I AM worth it.

How about you? Maybe take some time today to do just one special thing for yourself in the name of "self care" and see if the world stops just because you do...you may be surprised to see how much difference this will make in how you feel about you.

Hugs
Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I try to remember HALT, then do something about it.
H...Hungary
A...Angry
L...Lonely
T..Tired

Monday nite I went out with friends, left all the other stuff at home. It was a must needed TIME OUT.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is something I have been working on. I know that I need to take care of myself, or I get stressed and can get depressed or sick. One of my priorities is to actually take my break at work. I try to get out for 15 minutes and take a walk. It helps me concentrate and deal with stress. I don't always do this--I have to remind myself, or I work right through my break.

Another priority is that I get enough sleep. That means that I have to be disciplined enough to go to sleep at a decent. time.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I can relate, bluebelle, I don't take breaks and I don't get enough sleep either.

I recently quit smoking (it was easy, I just got sick for a long time, LOL) and don't miss the cigarettes but do miss the break to get outdoors and clear my head for a while. I am reminded here that I feel better physically, mentally and emotionally when I take small breaks AND get at least 7 hours sleep.

Now see? These readings and responses help ME as much as anyone
Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nurtured, nourished people, who love themselves and care for themselves, are the delight of the Universe. They are well timed, efficient, and Divinely led.
Wow...I love this! It's a keeper. I want to keep working to become a delight of the universe

Bluebelle, I find those things difficult as well. But I became pretty successful in making myself take a lunch break to go walking...there's a beautiful tow path along a canal that is just 10 minutes walk from the city i work in. It became a part of my daily routine and I found that I truly did get more accomplished once my body and soul was refreshed.