Son in recovery

Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son in recovery

My son is in recovery. Two weeks clean. He'll be leaving rehab in a few weeks with instructions for follow-up, ie. out-patient, NA, etc. How do I proceed? Do I let him come back home?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welome Crabtree
Wow...that is a tough question.
Personally, although I did let mine come home, I think I would have fared better had he landed somewhere else.
I had to do a LOT of work on me, to prevent me from trying to dictate his recovery.

He, of course, did not take a straight path, but did eventually find his way.
It was a very painful process for me.

He recently relapsed hard, but again, found a better path.
This time I was a bit better at handling it, but still look forward to the day that I am spared having to witness the process.

How do you feel about him coming home?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How old is your son?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Son in recovery

My son is 20. Along with the addiction he has type 1 diabetes. I want him to come home, but I'm afraid of him relapsing or my family and I going back to enabling him. I have younger children at home as well. I know they are looking to see how I handle the situation. My son seems to be genuinely invested in his recovery and unfortunately has no where else to go when the rehab is completed. He has no job and I know he will need something productive to do when he gets out. It is a pretty heavy dilemma. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Usually rehab's will have a recovery plan in mind, whether it be sober living quarters, or a plan for the family. Personnally I think sober living would be best, but then that could be because when my AD got out, she came home. Yikes.

The thing that we need to remember is that rehab is NOT the cure all. And that even though our "A" is now clean, their behaviors do not change overnite. Their continued sobriety will depend on their continuence of working a recovery program.

If you haven't already, I would find some alanon/naranon meetings and begin attending. There you will find experience, strength & hope.

Hugs,
Chris
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are there no sober living facilities in your area? Surely rehab can help him look at that option. At 20 years of age, he needs to learn to stand on his own two feet.

Sober living would help him transition by giving him a structured environment, and he would also be responsible for finding a job, attending meetings, etc.

Personally I would put the ball in his court, tell him as much as you'd like to have him home, it's not an option, and let him and his counselors work it out.
  # 7 (permalink)  

oh Miss - i just about fell on the floor - my son has type 1 diabetes too and i could post about a bilion things on here to you but i dont want to overwhelm you. its so very hard when they have another disease and as you well know drugs and diabetes do not mix at all. I gotta say even at 20 if they are not responsible its a tough one and its really hard on a mom who has been caring for their medical needs. but you have to have some strong boundaries on everything - using and diabetes.

is his diabetes in control? what age was he when he was diagnosed. what is his drug of choice?

he needs to continue recovery - he's not "fixed" and is going to have to work on this hard. you need recovery too - as moms who have cared for a medically needy child we have to fight our internal urges to keep taking care of them long after they want or need us to. I have had some counseling in this area and would be happy to share. Please feel free to PM me anytime - i'm sad that you are going through it but it is nice to know when others really understand what I'm going through. sometimes i start rambling in a post about blood sugars, insulin and glucagon shots and wonder how many people understand what the heck i'm talking about.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winnie12 View Post
sometimes i start rambling in a post about blood sugars, insulin and glucagon shots and wonder how many people understand what the heck i'm talking about.
Actually I do as I sponsored a gal in AA with type 1 diabetes, and am also close with another gal in AA who is also type 1.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and im an alcoholic.

My family interveined on me 18 yrs
ago sending me to rehab for 28 days
then a 6 week outpatiant aftercare
program.

I was about 30 yrs old then with 2 small
kids.

While away, my husband upon suggestion
removed all the alcohol from the house
and anything else that would tempt