Language of Letting Go - April 5 - Detaching in Love

Old 04-05-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - April 5 - Detaching in Love

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Detaching in Love

Detachment is a key to recovery from codependency. It strengthens our healthy relationships - the ones that we want to grow and flourish. It benefits our difficult relationships - the ones that are teaching us to cope. It helps us!

Detachment is not something we do once. It's a daily behavior in recovery. We learn it when were beginning our recovery from codependency and adult children issues. And we continue to practice it along the way as we grow and change, and as our relationships grow and change.

We learn to let go of people we love, people we like, and those we don't particularly care for. We separate ourselves, and our process, from others and their process.

We relinquish our tight hold and our need to control in our relationships. We take responsibility for ourselves; we allow others to do the same. We detach with the understanding that life is unfolding exactly as it needs to, for others and ourselves. The way life unfolds is good, even when it hurts. And ultimately, we can benefit from even the most difficult situations. We do this with the understanding that a Power greater than ourselves is in charge, and all is well.

Today, I will apply the concept of detachment, to the best of my ability, in my relationships. If I cant let go completely, Ill try to hang on loose.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We detach with the understanding that life is unfolding exactly as it needs to, for others and ourselves. The way life unfolds is good, even when it hurts. And ultimately, we can benefit from even the most difficult situations. We do this with the understanding that a Power greater than ourselves is in charge, and all is well.
If we only learn one lesson in recovery, if there is only one thought that gets through to us, this would be it.

I learned (the hard way) to let go of that which was not mine to hang on to. It was all an illusion, I never owned it in the first place. God gave us life. We each get to choose how we live it....even when we choose badly.

Today, if it doesn't have my name written all over it, it's not mine to own.

Hugs
Old 04-05-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I cant let go completely, Ill try to hang on loose.
I like this...I have found that my path in recovery is not a race with a set pace. Sometimes change is quick and meaningful and other times I am at a crawl, not quite ready to change. If I hang on loose when i am not ready, it will be easier to take the next step of letting go rather than being dragged.