New Here..

Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here..

Hi everyone...

I'm here because I have an ABrother, he's been using in some form or another since he was about 12 years old.. he's now 30. My parents' and I found out this past weekend that his most recent DOC is heroin. This is his 3rd shot at rehab just this year. I think all of us were surprised because we didn't think it was "this bad." Not that any drug is better or less destructive... but to know the method of use was terribly shocking to us.

It's been a tough road and the three of us decided finally to seek out help. We went to our first NarAnon meeting last night. The whole thing is strange to me right now, it's hard to wrap my head around the idea that we were somehow doing something wrong. But, the more I read and really think about it, the more I'm beginning to see how my actions have contributed to the chaos in my life. Just in the past 12 hours, I've began to notice behaviors of co-dependance in myself that have effected my own marriage and other relationships.

I'm hoping that the program will guide me in being a better person for me so that I can be a healthy contributor in my relationships.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here and finding the way to a calmer, better way of life. I need to have faith that things will get better and I've come to the realization that I'm the only one that can change those things for me.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

IrishG, Welcome to SR! From your post its seems to me that you have taken the first steps in your own recovery (Co-Dependency). As a Codie myself, it was hard to look at ME and realize that yep I had enabled my AD to continue using, I had contributed to my own life's unmanagibility.

I hope you will continue to post, go to the meetings & read the stickies at the top. A good book is "Co-Dependence No More" by Melanie Beatty.

Lots of others will be by shortly to welcome you.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome IG13!
It looks like you are already on your way. Good for you!
Read, post, make yourself at home!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome - glad to have you here even though sorry that you are having to deal with what brought you here.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BBD

Hello Irishgirl, Stick around and get to know everyone here. Its quite the eye opener.. Post whatever your thinking and want to ask about. This site, meetings and counciling is what woke me up and helped so much, You seem to be eager to understand it all SO WELCOME...Smiles, Bonnie
Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rozied

Welcome Irishgirl, You have come to the right place if you are dealing with an addicted loved one. There is plenty of help here.
Love.
Diane
Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome IrishGirl13!!! :ghug3 SR is a FABULOUS place and you will find life altering friends and information here... great move on your part.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome,
This place and the people here are wonderful, you will find tons of support. It is heart breaking having an addict in the family, glad your here. Julie
Old 03-25-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

so glad you have found us. welcome to S.R. i am sorry about your brother but you mhave taken the first step in your recovery. i am glad your family is joining you. keep coming back & read around. there is alot of information here. we are all here for you. prayers for you, your brother & your family.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you all so much for your warm welcomes =)
I really appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! You might not always like we some of us have to say, but I've learned so many things since joining this board. I don't think there is any life experience dealing with addicts that someone hasn't dealt with. (A somewhat sobering thought).

Sorry to hear about your brother, but you've taken the first step on
your own journey.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR from the mother of an addict (whose choice of drugs are usually prescriptions, just about any 'downer' she can get her hands on). :ghug :ghug