Just say a prayer!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just say a prayer!

My AD and I just returned from a funeral showing tonite. He was 29 and found dead in a motel room in Ft. Lauderdale FL from an overdose. He and some buddies went down there to a pain clinic to get their OXYs and Xanax. Nick did not come back.

He was a nice fellow but one of them that just didn't make it. My daughter and her ex was very close to him. She has been clean (again for a month now) but her ex isn't. As I stood in the room and watched all of his friends genuinely grieve for this person, I was trying to figure out what they were thinking. Do you think that this hits them that it could be them, or do they think it won't happen to them.

I don't know, guess I am a little to confused to post right now. Thanks for listening to me babble.

Say a prayer for his family and his little girl who will never know him
So Sad!

Gotahavfaith
Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is so sad. Whether it will truly sink in with any of his friends, I just don't know. When I was actively using, I was of the mindset it would never happen to me. Keeping his family in my prayers.

:praying :praying
Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I pray for his family, but also that his friends who are still using can find the strength through this to get help. Maybe his death can be an eye opener for someone and help them to stop. At least then there will be some purpose to something that is such a sad waste.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sad. I'm praying for Nick's family, friends and your AD.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

How very sad for this family and for all of the friends of the addict..

I often wonder too, what goes on in the mind of the addict when one of their own dies from the addiction. I think though, it's like Freedom said.. they have the mindset that it wont happen to them.. they are above that..

I remember when Heath Ledger died and I expressed my concerns to my AH because if Heath Ledger can OD then anyone can OD.. my AH told me not to worry that it would never happen to him because he knewwhat he was doing and he just knew what drugs could be mixed with what... Just goes to show you how much denial my AH was in.. how invincible he thought he was..

They don't and they wont stop until they are ready..
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BBD

Oh That is so sad and hopefully all of his friends will think hard about this and maybe~~just maybe it will sink into some of them. Lots of prayers for the family of this young man..Hugs, Bonnie
Old 03-24-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hugs and prayers to all who loved Nick.

Amy
Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

While my older brother layed in the hospital on a ventalator for 9 days, my younger half brother came in to see him everyday high as a kite. I asked him please dont do this, but did he listen NO. He wouldnt accept that older brother was gone, he knows it could happen to him to, but the disease has him, He is in serious danger of dieing just like my older brother. It makes me sick.
He is in Gods hands.
I am so sorry for your loss, I will be praying for the family and friends. I just hate to keep hearing of more lives lost to drugs. Just so very sad.

hugs,
sisofD
Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. As everyone knows my son died of overdose 11-19-08 and the grief will not stop for me. My son thought he knew it all and it would not happen to him but it did. I'm sure all addicts think it will not be them. Even death doesn't change them just when they are ready to change themselfs.

a friend
Maggiemac
Old 03-25-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My prayers for the family of this man and all who loved him.

These are not just addicts who died, these are our sons, daughters, husbands and wives, brothers, dear friends and parents of little children...each loved and mourned for, and each one a child of God.

How sad it is when we lose one. It's something I never get used to and hope I never do.

Hugs
Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i am sorry for the lost. i believe the addict thinks it can not happen to them. i also know how powerful the drug is. prayers for all concerned especially his daughter.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

How sad for his family, and friends.

INO, I think when my son has lost people he knows, he never thinks the next time could be him.

He thinks he's WAY to smart for that to happen.

Addiction stinks.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dorton View Post
I pray for his family, but also that his friends who are still using can find the strength through this to get help. Maybe his death can be an eye opener for someone and help them to stop. At least then there will be some purpose to something that is such a sad waste.
Amen to that!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
My prayers for the family of this man and all who loved him.

These are not just addicts who died, these are our sons, daughters, husbands and wives, brothers, dear friends and parents of little children...each loved and mourned for, and each one a child of God.

How sad it is when we lose one. It's something I never get used to and hope I never do.

Hugs
And AMEN to this, too.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No, when we are in active addiction, we tell ourselves "Oh, I do my stuff safer than that. I know my limits." At least until we OD.

KJ

I'm sorry for your loss. My prayers go to heal his family and comfort his friends.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words for Nick. He was a good guy with a bad disease.

My daughter attended the funeral. She had 8 months clean, relapsed for 3 months and now has another month clean. It really hit her very hard and she said last nite that she knew that could have easily been her. She cried for him, for herself and it really hit her that if she relapses again that she could leave her 2 beautiful children without a mother. She said she was going to work her recovery even harder and that she hopes she will never go back to active addiction.

I am so praying that this is true. I pray every nite for God to give her the strength to fight this HORRIBLE disease. When she relapsed, I was heartbroken. I thought after 8 months that she had enough and we were done with this terrible time in our lives. I have now realized that this is a life long fight. And we are in it for the long haul.

I also am going to work my own recovery a little harder too..

I want to thank everyone on this board for what they post. It gives me strenth, hope, and courage to keep the faith. You all show me that along with the bad things that happen, GOOD things can happen too!

Gotahavfaith
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How sad for Nicks family, I am a mother of a 28 year old addict son, and GOD has spared me that heartache. My son is now in recovery, but like gotahavfaith says, it's a life long struggle. There is no quick fix to addiction, but it can be arrested. The person has to really want it. Again, so sorry for Nicks mother. I'm sure she is grief stricken to say the least. Addiction is terrorism to me. That's how I have viewed my son's addiction. It's been a horror.