Celebrate Recovery

Old 03-23-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Celebrate Recovery

Has anyone ever attended a Celebrate Recovery meeting? I have noticed that quite a few of these meetings are popping up all over my town at various churches.

If you have attended, what was it like and what did it entail? I do not want to replace alanon with CR but I thought it might be a nice addition to my regular 12 step program since it seems to be Christian based.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is one around here, but I haven't been to it, it conflicts with my regular church service. Heard good things, though.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I have never but I know Angelgirl is very into them. They really have helped her a lot.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the one in my area conflicts with my nar-anon home group (same time) so I haven't been.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I went to several in my town and then our church started one. I love it! I still like secular meetings but CR is different. Every CR meeting I come away from with so much more hope, peace and optimism because CR is for so many people - codies, addicts, alchoholics, people that suffer from depression, grief, food - basically everthing that there is a forum for here on SR.

Our CR group just got invited to do Saturday night meetings at the Salvation Army. For some reason they ran off AA and NA so they asked us. We contacted the other two churches in town with CR programs and are going to rotate Saturdays with them. We had our first meeting at the Salvation Army on Saturday and it went really well and was well received.

Typically the format is 1. Praise and worship (we do 3 songs) 2. The 8 Principals based on the Beatitudes 3. The 12 steps and their biblical comparisons and then a step study. CR has a booklet. We are rotating a lesson with testimony every couple of weeks. Then we break down into small groups (male/female) to share. Ultimately when it gets larger, we'll break down into smaller groups more specific to whatever hurt, hangup or habit someone has.

I would definately recommend that you go to at least one or shop them like you would any other meeting. It's similiar to AA and NA as far as the 12 steps go - it just takes it a little further in that no one has to worry about offending someone by saying "Christ" as opposed to "Higher Power". God gets the glory and through Christ all things are possible. It's very uplifting.

My AH has always gone to secular meetings and still does but he really enjoys CR too.