Mushrooms

Old 03-21-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mushrooms

Wondering if anyone has information on Mushrooms........the after affects. For those that don't know my AS had a bag of them in his car along with some weed on Wednesday morning before I could say a thing my husband was on the phone with the police and my son was arrested again. He was placed on house arrest Thursday and he will stay on it till his court date which is April 6th. He told the PO the past week he has been doing weed, mushrooms, speed (Adderll), and some kind of downer ( I forget the name). Anyway, since he has been home he has been couching like crazy, I mean non stop unless he is sleeping. He has been throwing up a lot, but will not eat. He is also cold, keeps turning the room heater on while he is under an electric blanket and it was a nice warm day today. I am wondering if this is a normal thing for mushrooms. I don't know if he had a stash of them still in the house that maybe he is still using them or if this is from a few days ago. A few months ago I thought he was using them and he spent 4 days throwing up.......and I mean non stop day and night. I had to take him to the doctors who gave him a shot to stop him from getting sick. He never admitted mushrooms is what caused it, so I really don't know for sure. I am just worried about his liver and long term damage at what point do I take him to the hospital or doctors.........or should I just ride this out? This not a withdraw is it?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It could be Wd's but I have never heard of withdrawals from mushrooms. Afterglow of the experience will persist anywhere from few days to several weeks;

Surgeon General's Warning: One of the aftereffects of psilocybin (and most all psychedelics for that matter) is "emotional fluctuation", ie. things that would make you a bit happy cause euphoria and conversely things you don't like cause depression. At its worst this is a real manic-depressive rollercoaster, but usually the fluctuations are more positive than negative
Old 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

LSD and magic mushrooms

LSD is a hallucinogenic drug which distorts the way the mind perceives things.

Its effects are usually felt within half an hour of use and last for up to 12 hours.

Experiences vary according to the individual so are difficult to typify.

Users report that objects appear much brighter and may seem to ge moving or distorted. Hearing may also be intensified and the user's feeling of time and place may be distorted.

Once a 'trip' has begun, it is impossible to stop or control it.

The drug tends to exaggerate the mood a person is feeling when they take it.

Users do not become physically dependent on LSD, but some may experience a psychological dependence.

Some develop a tolerance of the drug and need to take higher and higher doses, but deaths and overdose are rare.

LSD users sometimes experience flashbacks which may distress them. Some have long-term psychological effects, such as schizophrenia.

Magic mushrooms also have a hallucinogenic effect which is generally milder than that associated with LSD.

However, the physical effects are generally more pronounced, such as incrased heart rate and blood pressure.

Side effects include nausea, vomiting and stomach pains. Long-term effects may include flashbacks, but little research has been done in this area.

There are reported to be no withdrawal symptoms and no risk of physical addiction.

Or here is more info.

Magic Mushrooms - Dangers - The Good Drugs Guide
Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, that is a cool site for information. I am wondering if he didn't take to many mushrooms and that is what is causing him to get so sick. Maybe it isn't even from the mushroom he could have got his hands on something else........this sucks, I just wish I knew so I wouldn't worry that he should go to the hospital or doctors.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG MyJoey, I feel so bad for you, This kid just doesnt want to quit. What a sick disease addiction is. My heart goes out to you. ((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) Hang in there. I wish there was somthing I could do to help you. Tough Love all the way. Eventually he will give up, especially if you and your husband keep on calling the police on him. He is fighting a losing battle. I will pray for your boy again. I know the pain and heartache. It's terrorism to me.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

If this were my son, I would have already taken him to the hospital. There could be many things going on with him. How old is he? If he's a minor, then you have every right to take him and have him checked out. Something is going on. I'm sure he's not telling you the entire story of what all he has used and how much. . . and what he is still using at home, even on house arrest.

Better safe than sorry. He could be dehydrated if he's been throwing up that much. I'd take him ASAP.

Judy
Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

He's put all kinds of not good stuff into his system and mixed it all up...I think he's bound to be feeling sick and moody and tired for a few days. But like any other sickness, I'd watch the vomiting and for signs of dehydration. When in doubt, give your family doctor a call...don't wait til it is an emergency. If you are worried enough to post here, I think a call to your doctor makes sense. Hugs...kind of sucky way to spend your weekend, I'm sorry!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
If this were my son, I would have already taken him to the hospital. There could be many things going on with him. How old is he? If he's a minor, then you have every right to take him and have him checked out. Something is going on. I'm sure he's not telling you the entire story of what all he has used and how much. . . and what he is still using at home, even on house arrest.

Better safe than sorry. He could be dehydrated if he's been throwing up that much. I'd take him ASAP.

Judy

For Peace of Mind, I think I would have brought him in there also. Have you taken his fever?

He could have picked up some kind of infection that could or could not be related. That's just me, do what you feel right doing.

:ghug
Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to watch him for tonight. Well I am going to sleep with one eye open and if he is still sick in the morning I am going to take him in. He will agree to go if he is still sick then, right now it would be a fight to get him to leave which tells me he will be fine tonight. I have him sipping a sports drink. His temp is 100.1 I just worry about him coughing & getting sick that much, as long as it isn't causing any long term damage and it's just an uncomfortable thing then he should feel the full effects of his drug use....not that it will get to his brain that he should stop!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Well I am going to sleep with one eye open
Amazing how you Mothers can do that, LOL

Let us know how he's doing.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mushrooms can cause vomitting after someone first takes them, but not for this long. It also wouldn't explain the fever. Maybe this is from a combination of drugs? It is good that you are keeping him hydrated.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe he ate some of the wrong types of mushrooms, the kind which will kill him. I would take him to the ER immediately. You don't want or need the guilt that will fall on you if something bad happens.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've never heard of anyone throwing up after them - maybe when they first take them but not after. it makes me wonder if its not from something else he's been doing, if he still has something on him and is using now, or if its because of the party cocktail he's been on. I agree with the others but i would take him to the ER not the reg doc. There is something about that whole experience that could make an impact. You know my son has other medical problems and his diabetes would be affected while using and afterwards - that last trip to the ER was the final straw in my son realizing that he really does have a drug problem. One counselor told me last year "you are not a doctor and not capable of handling his medical issues so when he does these things you need to turn him over to a doctor." She explained that when i sit up all night watching him and testing his blood sugars that i'm enabling him - I've become his caretaker keeping him alive. when i started taking her advice it took his medical issues out of my hands and put them in the hands of professionals and my son - the side effect was that my son started realizing that his problems were more serious than Mom could handle.

Julie - it could be from the mushrooms but it could be something else - it sounds like withdrawals. it took well over a year for my son to finally admit everything he was taking to me so i'd be cautious and get him in to see a doc soon. Dont baby him right now - he's sick because he's destroying his body and if he gets sympathy from you then your prolonging this - it is possible to care for his medical needs without providing sympathy. Remember my son always devised medical emergencies to pull me back in - not saying your son is devising this but he is pulling you into the sympathetic mom role. Be tough mom - let him know that if he uses or has drugs in the home you call the law - if he gets sick because of drugs you seek medical care. put the responsibility into someone else's hands. nurses and doctors have little sympathy for a teenager on drugs - they take care of them physically but they're tough on them emotionally. I suspect it makes them a bit angry to see this. Its almost sounding like he may need some medical detox.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Julie - one other thing watch the OTC drugs in the house. When my son OD'd it was on OTC sleeping pills which are actually filled with the same drugs as cold medicines. He did run a fever from those. I have to keep very limited amounts of OTC drugs in the house and i do keep them locked up in my room when he is home. I've found so many things in my son's room - things that could never get you high but he'd try anything.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well he made it through the night. His temp is down to 98.6 and he doesn't seem to be throwing up anymore. Still coughing like crazy and laying in bed. I asked him if he feels sick and he said no, then I said is this a withdraw Joey and he just said I will be fine if you just leave me alone....So be it.

Winnie, I did lock up all the OTC drugs. I know he would go for anything right now. I also know he could have someone drop him drugs off when we are not here, because one of the neighbor kids who he is friends with could just walk them over. So with that said it is really up to him, but I don't see the change coming quick or without the courts help.

Thanks everyone for the support I would be a mess without this place, I'm sure I will be back for more before this is over.........(((hugs)))
Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

You mentioned a "downer" that your son is taking. My first thought is that it is indeed WD's, not from the mushrooms but from the downer. While not deadly (to the majority of healthy, young people), withdrawals from depressants will cause many of the symptoms you're referring to and the "hardest" part normally lasts around 72 hours. I'm thinking of you and wish you strength!
Love, me
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

MyJoey, I'm sorry to hear this. The WD's are probably from all of it. He's been putting a lot of bad chemicals in his body. They have to come out somehow. Ask him if it was worth it? No nevermind don't ask him that. Just let him feel the consequences himself.
Try to go on with life as best as you can, and get to as many meetings as you can.

Huggs,
NH7
Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank goodness he's doing better. i would be sure to mention this to the judge and PO. if he uses at school the next two weeks he'll just be right back in the same situation when he goes to rehab. are they drug testing him a lot? when mine was on house arrest they came by many times during the week to test him.

its funny to me how they think they can handle it on their own even when they are going through something like this. this is when its hard for me to not come up with some smart aleck mom comment like "oh yeah i can see how well your handling it on your own."
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

OOO Winnie, I am the best at comebacks for my son. You know "how'd that work for ya"! Yes, they are testing but most of the time they tell him when they will be testing. Grrrrr which makes me mad, because he knows how to pass them test. Thursday she didn't tell him ahead of time she was going to test, but when she did, he came clean and just told her what he had been using.

Breakingfree, I wish I could remember the name of the downers he told the PO, I was thinking the same thing about the withdraw from them and he seems to be sleeping a lot.

Needinghelp: LOL I ask, just can't help it.

Other news, the phone has been ringing all morning. Rumor has it one of his good drug buddies he hangs with all the time got into an accident (while drinking) last night, rolled his car and was arrested with drugs. I haven't been able to find out if it is true or not, but the kids seem to think it is. Joey called his house and the woman that answered said Logan was arrested last night. I hope he is ok and didn't hurt anyone else.........and I sure hope he was arrested, he is 18 so he will get in a little more trouble then my son.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by MyJoey View Post
Well he made it through the night. His temp is down to 98.6 and he doesn't seem to be throwing up anymore. Still coughing like crazy and laying in bed. I asked him if he feels sick and he said no, then I said is this a withdraw Joey and he just said I will be fine if you just leave me alone....So be it.

Winnie, I did lock up all the OTC drugs. I know he would go for anything right now. I also know he could have someone drop him drugs off when we are not here, because one of the neighbor kids who he is friends with could just walk them over. So with that said it is really up to him, but I don't see the change coming quick or without the courts help.

Thanks everyone for the support I would be a mess without this place, I'm sure I will be back for more before this is over.........(((hugs)))
and he just said I will be fine if you just leave me alone....So be it.

Oh isn't that special... LOL, isn't it funny how we sure do need you to make us better when we are sick, but need you to go away when we are better.
Kids......

:ghug3