Sticky struck a nerve

Old 03-23-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just dropped my husband off at the centre. He drove us there and we met with some people.......I dont get to see him or talk to him for 2 weeks. I feel relieved, scared, happy, holding my breath. I need to go for a walk and let this all sink in. After all this time..........
Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow. That sounds promising. I don't think there is anything wrong with hoping that he learns a lot during the next two weeks! It would also be an awesome time for you to take in a meeting yourself, and learn more about detachment and keeping your focus on yourself.

Years ago, my (now ex) husband saw me detaching from him and his alcoholism. He checked himself into a treatment center, was also sick and tired of it all, and stayed sober for 14 years.

Prayers to you and your husband.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
I just dropped my husband off at the centre. He drove us there and we met with some people.......I dont get to see him or talk to him for 2 weeks. I feel relieved, scared, happy, holding my breath. I need to go for a walk and let this all sink in. After all this time..........
Take this time to really focus on you, hon. Find an Alanon meeting to attend. Keep spending time with those horses! Keep posting here. Live in the moment.

:ghug :ghug :ghug
Old 03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
My husband doesn't try to score for drugs, steal, isolate himself, been to jail for drugs, rob me or anyone else. it hurt me to read in the sticky about what addicts do, that addicts don't love, lie about everything, cheat, steal and only think about getting more and don't care if they hurt people and can't feel emotions.
JuneBug
welcome!!!

In the program, we call those things 'yets'. I held a job until I recently retired, made pretty good money-6 figures for the last ten years before retirement, hadn't been arrested for a DUI since the mid 80's, had all of the outside trappings of a very successful existence.

And all of the excuses, raised in a household where both parents were raging alcoholics, blah, blah. Won't bore you with any more details.

Today, I recognize the person I was in that "what addicts do" sticky. When I was drinking/using, that was the most important thing. Would never say that back then, and would pretend that it wasn't, but that was the most important thing.

Sure, we could feel emotions, but we made sure that we never had to feel them for very long.........

A little confused as to why you found the sticky so troubling?