Update On Where I'm At

Old 03-20-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
rozied

Dear Amy, your quote by Joyce Meyer says it all.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Hey there (((((rozied)))))

You sound great! I know it has been a very long up hill battle but things look pretty good at the top of the hill don't they!

God bless you and keep you sane!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have my own life. I am NOT an extension of my children.
Rozied, i think all us mamas and papas too should get this laminated and put it over our mirrors so we remind ourseleves daily.

Good for you - I hope you feel pride in your actions and a sense of peace knowing that you can not control him and you can take care of yourself. Hugs
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

You told your son just what needed to be said.

You are tired of the old energy and you have changed it...

Your son now knows there is a shift. He may move in the direction..or not. but at least you have. Way to go!
Old 03-21-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
rozied

It gets so easy after raising them from infants to think of them as extensions of yourself.
All of a sudden you look at them & realize they are separate people, responsible for their own lives. You CANNOT help them cuz they do what they want, not what you tell them.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Rozied that was really good. Now that you've said all these things, you have to remember to mean what you say. You don't want to not follow through with the boundaries you have set for him.

They are so smart and know immediately when you mean what you say.

When my son got out of prison, I let him use my cellphone because I never use it. Well, he immediately ran out of minutes. I warned him that he was now out of minutes and working on the rollover minutes. I asked him nicely to monitor them so closely.

Well, needless to say, he didn't and went over even the rollover minutes. I said you didn't respect what I told you so hand over the phone. He got angry and said "fine, take it!" I did. Then in front of him I called every number on that phone and said do not call this phone again as it is my phone now. They didn't!

I did not give it back. Last month he said, "do you think you could give me one more try at the phone?" I said, sure. Well, let me tell you so far so good he hasn't used hardly any minutes for the past two months.

These are the things we should have done when they were little boys; however, guess it's not too late to make them believe in what you say. You just have to mean what you say! No empty threats.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
rozied

Thanks Devestated, You are so right. Joey is not getting any help from me. He has to do it himself.