SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Just to Get High (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/171939-just-get-high.html)

JustAYak 03-17-2009 01:23 PM

Just to Get High

I was listening to this song today and I thought it was a pretty good description of what an addicts head is like... and I thought about how codie this song sounds. I believe the lead singer of Nickelback had a friend that died from OD-ing on something, that's the basis of this song.

YouTube - Nickelback-Just to get high

Just To Get High
Nickelback

He was my best friend, I tried to help him,
But he traded everything, for suffering,
And found himself alone.
I watched the lying, turn into hiding,
With scars on both his lips, his fingertips...
Were melted to the bone.

But I can still remember what his face looked like,
When I found him in an alley in the middle of the night.
Tell me what you know! Tell me what you gone and done now!
A gun would do the trick, get it over with,
You're better off...
To take all you've got
N' burn it on the spot,
To get high

Three days no sleeping, he gave up eating,
He sold his mother's rings, she said nothing,
And pretended not to know...
He started stealing, to supply the feeling,
Found out he pulled a knife, on someone's wife...
And held it to her throat.

But I can still remember what his face looked like,
When I found him in an alley in the middle of the night.
You're better off...
To take all that you've got
N' burn it on the spot,
Just to get high.
Tell me what did, where you gone and hid?
Show me...!
What you really want, was it what you got?
Slowly...!
Circle in the drain, throw it all away,
Just to get high
High...

You're better off...
To take all that you've got and burn it on the spot,
Just to get high.
Tell me what did, where you gone and hid?
Show me...!
What you really want, was it what you got?
Slowly...!
Just to get high
Just to get high
Just to get high

Ananda 03-17-2009 01:34 PM

hurts to read it

Serenity Bound 03-17-2009 01:41 PM

brought tears to my eyes.

Freedom1990 03-17-2009 01:47 PM

I didn't realize the story behind that song, Jason. Thanks for sharing that. I'm a big Nickelback fan.

winnie12 03-17-2009 02:09 PM

Wow - that's powerful

JustAYak 03-17-2009 02:53 PM

Glad you all liked it...or well, maybe not liked it, but glad you got some sort of feeling out of it...

Ananda, it does. I agree..

lunarise 03-17-2009 03:02 PM

:c029:
Thanks for sharing. So sad.

Latte 03-17-2009 04:43 PM

I might have a great big love for Nickelback. My girls love them too. My wonderful husband (normie) got me listening to them when I first got sober and I have enjoyed their stuff ever since.

StaWay 03-17-2009 04:52 PM

Like you, I identify with music. All too much at times. This song is really deep. Thanks for sharing.

imallright 03-17-2009 06:29 PM

Jason... love Nickelback... but also love life and being well. Hope you are doing better. Think of you often. So much to live for. Take care of you and keep talking to everyone!

jan123 03-17-2009 06:37 PM

Thank you for sharing a very realistic song. I know that I have blinders on when i think of the depths of what they will do to survive. The last time I saw my ex he looked totally awful. It was a shock. It was CRACK!

Angelic17 03-17-2009 07:04 PM

Whoa, I think I'm going to go and buy that CD. What a heavy song. That was definitely written about an addict. No doubt in my mind J. Thanks for this one. :hug:

MyJoey 03-17-2009 07:06 PM

Hi Jason,
Sad song, and all to true what getting high will do. I hope things are getting a little easier for you. Julie

bluebelle 03-17-2009 07:17 PM

I've seen too many people destroy their lives and die over a desire to get high. It's very hard to see a good, kind, otherwise normal person decline so seriously.

janet1965 03-17-2009 07:25 PM

Wow!!!

Yesterday i heard that song i to am i big nickelback fan. I was on my way home and that song came on the radio. i drove listening to it. i just busted out in tears. i was on my way home to get my boyfriend to take him to the hospital. he is not well. when i got home it hit me he took:c029: something. that song stuck in my head. when i was driving him to the hospital, i than asked him what or how many did you take. too many. today i go to a place to find comfort and i see that song. wow!!! thanks for the tears i needed to cry one last time for him. now i know i still care!!! thanks again.

rahsue 03-18-2009 10:02 AM

powerful!!!!!

thanks

winnie12 03-18-2009 10:18 AM

Jason, can you please post and let us all know how things are going?

Serenity Bound 03-18-2009 12:19 PM

winnie, check the substance abuse forum, under "not doing so well".....Jason posts there most every day.

Chris

JustAYak 03-18-2009 01:00 PM

Chris is right, check out my thread in substance abuse if you wanna know the day to day stuff. But so far, really not good... my mom is throwin a lot of stuff at me that's really crushing me. She just belittles me every time I try to talk to her..

winnie12 03-18-2009 01:27 PM

Thanks Jason - I'll check that out
Remember you have about 20 moms on here and WE LOVE YOU AND THINK YOU'RE WONDERFUL!!!!