any advice?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any advice?

Hi, I found this site while doing some research on oxy/ opiate addiction. My story, I am 30 years old and five years ago I married the love of my life who I had been with for three years prior to our marriage. We have a five year old son and had a great life together. About two and a half years ago, somehow, she started using vicoden I had no idea what was going on until February of 2008 when she came to me and said that she had this problem BUT she had stopped and everything would be fine. I had no clue what these drugs could do to a person, she worked as a home health nurse and had access to drugs. She started stealing from everybody and was arrested twice for shop lifting. I heard that she had been prostituting herself for drugs and money to buy drugs. In September of 2008 she left the relationship and I guess that is when things really started to spiral out of control for her… Oxy became her obsession and she would do absolutely anything to get them… her behavior can only be described as that of a sociopath… pathological lying, stealing, manipulation, promiscuous, hatful cruelty with no regard for the rights or feeling of anybody including her own son… she WAS a beautiful, charming, talented woman and a wonderful wife and mother and became something else… I wish so badly that I could save her but I cant. Last month she attempted suicide and was very close to succeeding. Now we are divorcing and I have our son. I was in denial for so long and I held out hope that somehow my family could be saved… is there any hope for recovery? Is there anything I can say or do that might convince her to seek treatment? Sadly, her mother is still in denial and blames me for everything… my wife now lives off of her and can continue her behavior.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You didn't cause her addiction, you can't control it, and you can't cure it.

It sounds like she has the perfect enabler, her mother.

I strongly encourage you to reach out to a resource like Alanon or Naranon to help you heal from the effects of her addiction.

I am so glad you have your precious son with you! :ghug :ghug
Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thexjib View Post
Is there anything I can say or do that might convince her to seek treatment? Sadly, her mother is still in denial and blames me for everything… my wife now lives off of her and can continue her behavior.
welcome!!!

No. I would go the no contact route, as much as is humanly possible, you have the child and that could make it difficult on the legal end. As long as she's using, the only thing that will matter to her is getting the drug.

No contact means no contact. Don't respond to her emails, phone calls, text messages, personal appeals. If you have a lawyer, they can handle any necessary exchange of information.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of wisdom and support here.