Today I am feeling "Horrified"

Old 02-24-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

you & your daughters are in my prayers. i am so sorry for you. my addict is my son. i will keep you all in my prayers & i hope your youngest can beat this before it get any worse. i pray your oldset will find her way. you have alot on your plate. meetings are great. find one & come back here. we are all here for you.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marlie View Post
One day, I did a google search "why are teenagers stupid" and pulled up a university study about frontal lobe development in the teenagers. They don't have an adult brain until 24 or 25.
Believe it or not I watched an episode about this on the Discovery Channel not even a year ago.

I remember thinking about that is why some kids race in cars etc, drugs never entered my mind at the time.

I just don't understand how some kids can make the right choices and others do not.

There have certainly been a lot of changes in our home right now, better late then never.

Another thing in which I do not understand, my ad was seeing a social worker from school, he Knew everything. Ad told me that he was trying to talk to her about entering Rehab. I understand "Confidentiality" in that they can't tell the parents etc However, I do not understand why there is noone that this social worker could talk to for guidance or something, like his superior. There must have been someone? Why couldn't this social worker get my daughter the help she needed? She is a minor. I mean if a minor or an adult as far as I am concerned actually said "I am going to kill myself" there would be action taken. He must have realized the danger she was in.

Should I make an appointment to see this social worker? There should be laws to protect our children. I always told my children that if ever something happened or if they were ever in danger etc and felt that they could not tell their father or I to go to someone and tell them....like a priest, teacher etc. I just feel like my daughter did in her own way go for help but I don't feel like enough was done. I realize it was her decission and all to take the drugs but still, something more could have/should have been done. My question for him would be why? why didn't he get her help?

I asked my 16 yr old daughter this evening if the 20 to 30 plus pills her sister took were all at once but she said no mom, that was the total for the week so I must have misunderstood about her taking that many durring one evening or maybe I was the one whose question was misunderstood. Even a fraction of one pill is to much.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the prayers, it helps so much along with your support, kind words,information,and experiences.

I asked my youngest daughter who is 16 how long it has been since she had any drugs and she told me the first week in Jan. She is sticking with her meetings and for that I am thankful.

In another two weeks we will be able to all go and see our 17 yr old ad for 6 hours.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpeedyJason View Post
Sterotyping. Not all of us are stupid <_<
Just because some fall into doing drugs doesn't make us stupid.
Jason, I dont think any of us is saying that teenagers are stupid just that it takes a while for the brain to fully develop cognitive reasoning (if i do this - this could happen). My son is extremely smart - i've never seen an IQ test but I suspect its very high. For me, its easier for me to accept that my son just hasnt developed the reasoning skills for the dangerous decisions he makes. The alternative would be that he is really a messed up person who doesnt care about himself or anything else in this world. I like to keep the hope that one day once he matures he will do what's right for himself. It also helped me because i was talking him to death trying to get him to understand my truths instead of allowing him to learn his truths on his own and in his time.

On the flip side of the brain debate, some of us as we get older loose some of our brainpower, I know i have a harder and harder time remembering things - it doesnt mean i'm stupid it just means my brain isnt retaining information as much as it did when i was younger. understanding the limitations of my own brain helps me to learn find ways to compensate.

I hope that explains it and no offense was intended by the statements.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey LMK,

I was thrilled to read that you are looking for meetings for yourself - AlAnon, NarAnon whatever you can find would be great. Being able to get face to face support from others going through similar situations is good. Not sure where you are from, but look around, not all meetings are the same and you can 'shop' around for one that makes you feel comfortable and will get you what you need.

Good Luck!