Self-care

Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What does that entail? ? ?
Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Exclamation College Classes......

Hi Everyone,

I don't know what you are studying for but it sounds like pre-nursing or pre-doc....!

I got sober in 1988 & spent the whole year taking care of myself, my counseling for depression & another counseling session for my alcoholism...usually a woman's group at Mental Health, & then an AA meeting every night & sometimes at noon. I worked also. I had counseling once a week and also had a few hospitalizations for my depression.

I did go to in-patient treatment for both the depression & alcoholism the first year.

The second year I worked half-time, went to my counseling, went to three AA meetings a week and attended college full time for a BA in Psychology...I had quite a few credits already because I had been taking the prerequisites for nursing but changed my mind on that. My classes were in the late afternoon & evenings.

It was a struggle well worth going through...I was on the Dean's list every semester, I stayed sober, took my meds for depression consistantly when I finally got to be on a theraputic dose, & studied hard....the result was a very good paying job at Mental Health as a Psyc Tech. & in two years I was promoted to a Geriatric Mental Health Counselor....I was 50 years old when I started this career & had already worked 10 years with the Elderly in different types of jobs....depending on where I was living. :ghug2

My Depression was hard to deal with....I did a lot of self-talk, meditation, & researched all medications I was tried on & also new theories about depression as they came along. I knew more about my body & brain than my doc did....he even said that to me once.

My success was due to the fact that I wanted to be sober more than anything else in my life....I wanted a college education like I helped my two husbands get. I wanted a clear face without the sores & redness of alcoholism. I wanted to quit stinking of alcohol even when I hadn't had a drink. I wanted to give my kids a Mom that was comfortable in her skin...not feeling like I was made of broken glass with my skin holding me together.

I did it but I still remember the person I had become & be careful to take care of myself. I forget sometimes & let too many stressors add up & the last time landed in the Geriatric Psychiatric Ward at a hospital a long ways from home & my husband this past summer.

Take care everyone....whether we are sober one hour, one day, one month, or 20 years.....we have to remember that one drink can lead to a last drunk with no where to go but down.

kelsh
Old 02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callie View Post
What does that entail? ? ?
Here's a link to the required courses for the degree:
Course Descriptions