Pregnant drinker

Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pregnant drinker

Hi
I could greatly use advice on an issue that I am struggling with. A friend of the family has a drinking problem and is now on her second pregnancy. This friend is apparently in denial about how much she drinks and whether she is harming her fetus. (It is very easy to find medical advice to justify drinking on the internet.) But as I have two children I know that the safest guidance is that no drinking is the best for the fetus. I believe this person drinks more than four glasses of wine at a time more than twice a week. Also it appears the first child may have problems due to drinking through pregnancy and breastfeeding. Despite other family members' attempts to say something in a nice way, her drinking has not stopped.

My feeling is that this person is poisoning her innocent baby. I would like advice on how or whether I should take any action. I am not particularly close to this person, other members of my family are, so it would be unusual for me to reach out to her directly. But I feel that I am partially responsible for the health of the baby if I do nothing.

Thanks for your help in advance. All the best to everyone dealing with this tough disease.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you think she caused fetal alcohol syndrome in one baby and is continuing to drink, I would make a hotline call to the local child protective services. FAS is the leading cause of mental retardation in children in the US. If she's drinking this much, she's probably also neglecting the baby she has.

Those kids need help. I've been a mandated reporter. The hotline system is anonymous and easy. It's painless. I would totally call this in, if it were someone I knew.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much - very, very helpful. Had no idea I could do that.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too have made annoymous calls to CPS and reported a friend that was drinking alot and breastfeeding and driving intoxicated with the child. It made me feel better know that at least the innocent child who didnt have a voice finally had one. Maybe it will be her wake up call that people care about the baby and her. Maybe just knowing that she could be checked up on at anytime might make her think twice. I would make the call yuor the only voice the baby has.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for caring about that unborn child. :ghug