quiting- all or nothing?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quiting- all or nothing?

my gf is struggling with hard drugs on and off. she seemed clean fora while but slipped and shot heroin. again she says she wants to quit. but she smokes weed. i am not against weed in general, but i cannot determine if she would need to quit everything. she says she needs to smoke to keep the edge of from her bad situation at home and to keep her from keep using the hard stuff.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can't control what she does.

What do you want out of life?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Anvil. I've seen too many just use weed until they could get their hands on the DOC.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My son tells me that all the time, Ok mom all I really want to do is smoke weed. It never stops with weed (Not that I would allow it) that just seems to be the easy thing to get till he can get his hands on something stronger. You really need a new girl friend, why would you hang around for this? She will only change when she is ready and until then it will only be heartache for you.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It IS all or nothing. In or out. Once they corss that threshold, there is no going back. Ever. EVER. Addiction is a PROGRESSIVE disease. It only gets worse! You're in above your head and you don't know it. I UNDERSTAND the need to understand, but again...run, run fast and hard far away from this before YOU get sucked in. You don't know what you're messing with.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A drug is a drug is a drug. Mine came back to borrow money the day (he says) he got out of rehab. I hadn't seen him in eight months. First thing he looked for was a beer, then he asked if I had seen his pot dealer around town.........please give me a break! I think this is why they say "CLEAN and SOBER". I am not a professional by any means, but I know a few people who used the same excuse as your friend. It didn't work for them, and I don't think it will work for her, just leads into more of the same.

If the WEED maintenance program really worked then none of us would have to worry about crack or meth either. Addicts would just sit around smoking pot all day long, listening to "Bob" and we would be done with all the rest of it. I would replace a bar of brownies any day before a pipe or needle for my loved one. Actually, mine used to start off smoking pot, then drank, then left for days. Please be careful.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve137 View Post
my gf is struggling with hard drugs on and off. she seemed clean fora while but slipped and shot heroin. again she says she wants to quit. but she smokes weed. i am not against weed in general, but i cannot determine if she would need to quit everything. she says she needs to smoke to keep the edge of from her bad situation at home and to keep her from keep using the hard stuff.
You cannot determine any of it. It's her issue and only she can determine what, if anything, to do about it and when.

Using a substance to take the edge off anything is an excuse to use substance.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks. these were all helpful
Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Steve, I married an addict in hopes that he would change but while he doesn't use anything even close to what he used before, he is currently only 1 month clean. This is great but I wonder all the time why I didn't walk away when we were still dating. It's a bit more complicated once you are more committed...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah - I'm in the camp that says weed is no different than any other drug. People can give me the argument all day long that "you can't OD from weed" - ok - fine - that doesn't make it all good though, does it?

Many people miss the point. Drug's are abused because people use them to alter the way their body's or mind's feel. So - if you said, instead, this addict wanted to eat 2 candy bars each time they felt they needed to use - again - the addiction is still there. They are "checking out" for the time certain feelings come up that they either can't or don't want to deal with.

Me? I like to drink a few beers - and <gasp> get a buzz once in awhile. I even like to smoke a little dope NOW and THEN; I compare it to my desire to take an extra long hot shower or go get a massage. I don't do any of those things daily or frequently, but once in awhile - it's really nice. Its known that most drugs have very good medical uses too. My point it - I'm not one to be against all drugs - even those that are commonly abused. However, when someone has to turn to a drug or ANY substance or activity in order to duck out of dealing with LIFE - there is a problem that needs to be dealt with or nothing good will come of it.