question about needle use

Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Relapse is often times a part of recovery. Recovering from substance abuse is one of the hardest things a human being can do.

tib
Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by steve137 View Post
i intend to go to more naranon meetings. my fear is that i would be abandoning her. but, i am understanding that this is not my responsibility and that i did not cause anything.

ah, this is what i was womdering all along, if there is this one slip up (that she has admitted to) is that enough to beleive that she needs help? or, is it expected that there will be occasional slip ups along the way? i know this sounds naive, but the truth as harsh as it can be is better than a lie.

If she has admitted to one slip up, I'm betting there are hundreds more slip ups..

When you are dealing with an addict you only see whats on the surface and most of the time that aint pretty... if the surface looks bad imagine what the inside looks like...

You say this is your semi girlfriend... Take it from someone who is married to an addict... Run... run.... run... do not look back.... just run.. The further you involve yourself with her the more you will get sucked into this downward spiral that she is in..
i intend to go to more naranon meetings. my fear is that i would be abandoning her
How are you abandoning her by going to naranon meetings? Having this fear is all the more reasons why you need to go... but remeber this, you are not going for the addict, you are going for you and you alone...
Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
Relapse is often times a part of recovery. Recovering from substance abuse is one of the hardest things a human being can do.
Relapse is a part of the disease, not recovery.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

again- thanks to everyone who posted.

i asked those questions because i wanted to get a grip on things. i forst became aware of her use back in october. i decided to give her the chance to quite. despite EVERYTHING i know and was told, i felt i would be fair and see if she could do it. i have a friend who quite on her own on her third time and has been clean 3 years. my gf seemed to be doing good for a while OR she was hiding whatever she was doing. I only see her 2-3 times a week. but now i know for sure and i doubt very much there has bee nno type of use at all since october. its just bad timing as her birthday is in 2 days. BUT maybe at 29 this should serve as a wake up call for her.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What about a wake-up call for you?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

freedom- yes- good point. very good point.

i was expecting to read some more lines, but you summed that up in one line.

i suppose people don't just use on occasion. that you dont just slip and get right back to not using. at least not for long i imagine. the reality is if there are marks on both arms, one arm, anything, there is a problem.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

my brother use to shoot up between his toes. I use to check my xah every place to see if he was using. He use to say the needles were for the ink in the printer to fill them.

I would not be worried if she is using again. Have you been tested for HIV and Hep A B and C. I would worry more about her getting you infected. If she is only a semi girlfriend why do not you leave her or stop seeing her.

Funny she does not know how to use a needle but her parents found them all over her room. She is a very good at being an addict.

Reality is that she is a very sick person and you can not kick that habit by herself she needs to have treatment.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

2nd the HIV and Hep testing. My AH said he'd hold his breath, look for the jugular and shoot it in there. Disgusting. I'd also heard between the toes etc. Arms are the common place, but anywhere you can get a vein, they'll get. My AH is in his 8th day of rehab and says even looking @ his arms is a trigger. WTF?? Wouldn't that be revolting enough to know you tore up your arms like that and NOT want to use?? Read, read, read here. Read the stickies, listen to the veterans and RA's. There's a wealth of info here. More than you prob ever cared to learn about addiction.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

anvil-
GREAT post.

believe it or not i do understand the power of addiction. i have/had my own addictions, but never on these hard drugs. it is the anwers that you all give me that keeps me from falling back on fooling myself this is just a casual thing and it will work itself out. that she is not a REAL usesr, but just dabbles now and then. i KNOW that is not true. i have only been coming out of my own fog after years of vapors flowing through me, not to mention another i have had about 25 years and i am only 41. i know the pull, i know the voices, i swear i was no different than smeagle in lord of the rings. i lived for one thing and one thing only, everything else was on the periphery.

i appreciate all these answers
Old 02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

actually, that is what i meant. yes, i know that all to well and i guess all i hoped was that same monster was not in her head