Artery Spasm from Withdrawal?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Artery Spasm from Withdrawal?

Hi All - I posted this a couple days ago in the substance abuse section because I thought I might get more response. I've gotten a couple of replies, but thought I'd try my question in here as well.

My abf has been diagnosed with both IBS and Variant Angina. I am pretty sure that the ibs is actually withdrawal based on the timing of when he runs out of his meds and when he doesn't feel well. Seems that he is also getting the chest pains around this same time. It's scary because he could have a heart attack one of these times. He gets a stabbing pain in his chest and then his jaw hurts. I don't like questioning every health problem he has and assuming it due to the addiction, but it just seems too coincidental. Has anyone ever experienced or heard of someone having chest pains / artery spasm from withdrawal? I did some searching online and I see that it is connected to alcohol withdrawal, but I don't see anything regarding opiates. He is feeling very sorry for himself for being diagnosed with a level 4 heart condition and has looked for sympathy. I can't help but think it's just another issue that we're dealing with due to his addiction.

On another note, last night he said he was feeling nauseous and weak and prickly. I think he over-did the meds? He also said he had blood in his urine. He said it couldn't be because of the vicodin because that works on the liver and the blood would be from the kidneys. I don't know anything about that. Anyone have any thoughts on either situation?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hi,
I would think if he was diagnosed with angina, that he would have been prescribed Nitro?
If not, call 911 when he has these symptoms. Better safe than sorry.

He actually sounds like he needs a full physical by his family Dr. if he has one.
A stress test, blood work, urine testing....etc.

Hope he feels better soon.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Mooselips - Yes, he's on nitro for the chest pains. And on a calcium channel blocker. Seems to help. If the pain doesn't go away after taking 3 and so many minutes (20 I think), then we've been told to call 911. He's in to the Doctor more than any person I know so I would think that they are doing all the necessary tests etc. I just continue to question if what they are finding are real medical conditions or conditions caused by addiction.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He needs to go to the doctor, the er, be first and foremost honest about his addiction and then be worked up...

It is really important for him to seek out answers, even if they might not be what he wants to hear, this should no be overlooked or explained away as a consequence of using. Now whether he does or now will be on him.

My husband is a recovering heroin addict, yes he has been through much of what you wrote...palpitations, blood in his urine, bp through the roof, numb and tingling sensations, chest pain....most of the time as a consequence of kicking, and then when he was at his worst, of using as well. Most if not all of this has disappeared except the bp being high which is just him, the opiate addiction and wd just aggravated something already not right.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hopefully his family Dr. follows him closely with all his medical issues.

I know how WE worry when medical problems come up, but this is your BF's issues and he needs to be the one to handle this. Seriously, if he is capable of using the phone, he should be the one that does it.

You sound stressed. Try maybe relaxing and letting your BF do the follow up with the Drs. and you just take care of you.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

You sound stressed. Try maybe relaxing and letting your BF do the follow up with the Drs. and you just take care of you.
I am stressed. I worry about him and I know he's not being honest with the doctors so how can they really help him? He will not admit that he's doing anything wrong. He's told me flat out that I am wrong about him having a problem and he will be on some sort of pain meds for the rest of his life. We are paying LOTS of money out for doctors bills and that makes me mad too because I have a feeling that if he'd just stop abusing his meds that most of his issues would go away. I'm trying to think about myself and do stuff for myself, but he's just so needy and feels sorry for himself for having all of these medical problems. Last night he said he'd probably be dead before he turns 50 and I just want to take all his meds and toss them in the toilet and say, there, now you can live til you're 80. Sorry, not sure where that came from. lol. It's just so frustrating.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

justtired,
It is exhausting caretaking, and worrying after someone else.

The good part is that he IS under a Drs. care.
Alot of our addicts don't have health insurance.

But I still think it comes down to a control issue,
and you can't control what he says, or does.

Take care of you.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Does he drink as well? I asked this on the other thread and never saw a reply. From the way your post is worded alcohol is not an issue, but it only takes a couple of drinks daily when combined with opiates to get the symptoms you mentioned.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Does he drink as well?
I think I did address this in the other thread, but maybe not really in detail. He does not drink (I don't think) right now. I say I don't think because he always has beer in our house for our employees (construction) when they stop in after work etc. I haven't seen him drink one in a while, but honestly, who knows. He did in the past and there were issues so I never say never. We did have an occurrence were he did take a lot of narcotics and drink on top. It was a very bad situation. Hasn't happened since. I really don't think he's drinking on a daily basis though.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Can you say MANIPULATION?

I have no doubt he has health problems. I also have no doubt that he is MILKING IT for everything he can and he IS GETTING A REACTION out of you. You see all an addict wants is a REACTION. Doesn't have to be positive or negative, JUST A REACTION. Then the addict thinks "he still has you hooked."

Now, he does have Drs. They are aware of his problems, whether he is 'honest' with them or not, the tests have told them plenty.

Next time he complains, call 911. Next time after that call 911. He will soon learn to it himself and he will learn that his 'health problems' are no 'longer a hook' to keep you JUMPING.

Yes you care. Yes you are worried. However, just like with his addiction there is not one damn thing you can do about it. Say some prayers to HP, be prepared to call 911 and step back and watch the actions.

And NO, he may not be on pain meds for the rest of his life. I can attest to that. I have had to take pain meds for YEARS, as prescribed and they do give me enough relief to keep functioning. Now I have a "Tens Unit" and my use of my pain meds is about 1/10 it was (and I was still under the maximum daily dose, lol).

So many new gadgets and items that work are being developed for chronic pain, I am now looking forward to the day I don't have to take any pain meds any more.

He is QUACKING spouting is FALSE REALITY. Please do not fall for it. An addict will you whatever 'ploy' is available to continue to 'manipulate' their loved ones to do their bidding. Yes I know it is sad. Yes, he does have some 'serious' health problems. But there are solutions for them IF HE WILL FOLLOW DR's orders.

J M H O

Love and hugs,

P.S. I don't mean to sound cynical. I have just seen these types of ploys, over and over and over and I pulled many of them myself while still out there.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Laurie's advice was great on multiple levels. This will take care of him medically and take care of you.

What if he has been drinking, and he dies over this? You'll sure as hell wish you'd dialed 911.

An an A myself, I don't always see it from a recovering codie's viewpoint. Good job Laurie.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Laurie, you're right... I can tell I'm being manipulated. I wouldn't have seen some of it as manipulation if it wasn't for your help. Some of it is obvious though. He's accused me of cheating, was totally angered by the fact that "the person he wants to spend his life with" didn't jump right on the bandwagon to allow his 12 and 10 year old nieces live at our house for a month while their dad goes through a breakup, and keeps making comments of spending our lives together, then telling me what I "should have said" when I don't comment back. He's trying hard and it's frustrating. He doesn't realize it's just pushing me further away. I'm just so scared something will happen to him. I can't keep watching him do this to himself.