Running in Circles

Old 02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Jason, I'm sorry. My dad is an adult child of alcoholics. He very seldom talks about his parents, and I never met them because they were both dead by the time I was born.

My dad was the oldest of three boys, and both parents were alcoholics. I do know his dad was a violent alcoholic and beat on his mother.

His dad died in a fire at a club he owned out in the country. His mother died a year later. He was still in high school and left to raise two younger brothers by himself.

I can't even fathom that. I think it's too painful for him to talk about it.

Both of his brothers went on to become addicts/alkies. One died many years ago from his alcoholism/addiction. The other one is in extremely poor health now, but did quit drinking a few years back.

My dad's the only one of the three who never drank or drugged.

I know it's not exactly the same situation as yours, but I just wanted you to know that once upon a time a young man found himself with both parents dead of alcoholism in a very short period of time, and he wasn't even 18 yet. He didn't have any other family members to turn to either because most of them were alcoholics too (there's a long line on both sides of my family).

:ghug :ghug
Old 02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Jason, Unfortunately, I believe that there are a ton of families out there that are discontented. Including my own. I have a brother that my sister and I call the other sibling, as neither one of us have heard from him in years. Oh if you call him, he'll talk, but he really is not interested in us. Couldn't even bother to come home for our Mom's funeral. (but that's a whole different story)

It's possible that your Dad's parents would support you, just because they don't support him doesn't mean they would abandon you. That's totally up to you, if you would want their help.

Otherwise, I understand you wanting to stick it out for the next 7 months, it seems that you are very mature for your age. Just remember to take care of yourself and separate yourself from your Dad's situation, if & when he comes home.

As someone else said, he may lose his license, if so, he may be willing to give you the car.

If you choose to go to meetings, I can guarantee that you will make friends and will be able to get rides. You see my AD lost her license and she gets to at least 1 meeting each and every day. Sometimes like today 3. She has to rely on program friends for rides. That is part of the program, helping each other, supporting each other in recovery.

I'm really sorry that you have to go through all of this, and hard as it seems right now, it will pass and I believe you will learn from it.

Your always welcome in MD also. Hmmm you could go from state to state. lol Just trying to lighten your load.

Take care.
Chris
Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

See that Jason, you got family in two states now. Keep going and one thing for sure, you will have the largest family with a substance abuse problem in history. SMILE When is your dad coming home?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Pretty sure he's coming home tomorrow. Sooo not looking forward to that. I think he's got a court date already, if so, then I'm gonna be in hell in the next few days or weeks or whatever. The reason I say this is because, MyJoey, your thread reminded me of what my dad is like before a court date. "Last hurrah" I know he'll get mandated meetings or drug tests or something like that. If he gets mandated those things, THANK GOD. I will finally have a little peace because I know he'll stay clean during the time he is assigned. He won't be happy, but he'll be clean. God forbid he should spend a few days in jail...
Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Ahhhh Jason I will be thinking about you today. Lets hope for the best. Check in and let us know how you are, you got a large fan club going on here........we are all pulling for you. Julie
Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

jason, i am so sorry you are going thur this. you are a brave young man. you are going to be ok in life. i wish i had all the answers for you. i am glad you are learning to take care of you. remember you are the son & not the father. this is a terrible situation. i hope your father gets some jail time. maybe social services will step in & help you.
are you going to n.a. meetings or naranon meetings? maybe you can tell your story there & someone can give you a place to stay. i wish you all the best. keep posting. we all care. do not let your father bring you down. prayers for you & your father going up. big hugs,
Old 02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Oh my godddddddd.
My dad is fxcking insane. It hasn't even been a day yet and he's already taken off! He doesn't have his liscense so a friend must have picked him up, our car is still out there so he's not driving illegally. I didn't see him leave because I was at school, the only reason I know he's out of the hospital is because I called to ask because I thought he would be home by the time I got home. They said he was discharged at 11 am. What the hell.

And please, just for my sake right now, don't suggest "this is the time to leave" blah blah blah because all of you know I won't do it. >_>
Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I have the keys, no worries.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

The sad fact Jason is you just cant count on him right now. Its hard to come to that realization but its the truth - the sooner you can try to accept that the easier it will be. just try to not expect anything out of him - he is in addict overdrive right now. if you expect nothing then you wont be as dissapointed - if he comes around and its good you can be pleasantly surprised. i know this sounds very pessimistic but you need to protect your sanity.

Hey and please know that NO ONE here judges your choices. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Jason, That's good you have the keys, one less thing on your mind. Just remember to take care of yourself. Keep venting all you want, we're listening........not judging.

Chris
Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hey Jason,

How ya doing? I guess dad is still out? Not telling you to leave, but it would be cool if you could find one of them meetings tonight. Just leave dad a note, where your at. It would be really cool if that is where dad is..........ok wishful thinking.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Originally Posted by MyJoey View Post
Hey Jason,

How ya doing? I guess dad is still out? Not telling you to leave, but it would be cool if you could find one of them meetings tonight. Just leave dad a note, where your at. It would be really cool if that is where dad is..........ok wishful thinking.
I already looked for an NA meeting. There isn't any that are close to me tonight.

I don't get this, what is his logic here? No, you know what, I don't want to get it, I don't want to try and understand his little crazy mind, I just want to be done with it. That's all I want.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drove myself crazy for a time trying to understand the "logic" He's lost in the addiciton right now and being a couple days since the last fix, his addict brain is probably telling him 105 reasons getting high is the right thing to do even though he just got out of the hospital due to an overdose.

Jason one of the things that has seen me through a lot is forcing myself back to the moment whenever I'd catch myself projecting about what would happen next. As bad as the moment was, i could get through it to the next one...But when I started future-tripping, I was a goner.

So right now you want to stick it out but you want to be done with it...It does make sense to me - I get it...I'd suggest that minute by minute approach may be a good tool to try as you stick it out.

You can add Nj to your tour...make it a tri-state visit, lol Hang in there Jason
Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Jason,

I did another post to you last night, not sure what happened to it. I hope today is a little brighter for you, hang in there.........only a short time left and you can put this behind you and move on with your life.
You really have so much to look forward to Jason, college will offer you so much more. You will have a chance to meet new people and make friends for life. You are so smart and have had to grow up so fast, I know you don't see it, but you can move on from this to become anything you like. Try to think of what you want for your future..........just keep it together. Check in and let us know your alright. Julie
Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Jason, Just checking in to see if you're okay today.

Chris
Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Jason,
Waiting for you to check in........hope things are ok.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Dad's not home.
I used.
Things are not ok. I'm just angry.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Jason, I'm so sorry that your angry and that you used. Tomorrow is a new day. You have lots of support at SR and lots of people who really do care. I know that getting to meetings may be hard for you and that you may feel uncomfortable about going, however I really feel you need some face to face support.

I know that you're hurting, while I can't say or do anything to take that hurt away.......I am praying for you.

Please keep posting, please remember that tomorrow is a brand new day. One moment at a time.

:praying
Chris
Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Jason
so sorry that your going thru a rough time............and sorry that you used
but this doesnt have to be the beginning of using again.it can be a slip
try to do the things you need to do to stop now...........find a meeting, read the big book....talk and share with people here

did you look up AA meetings?

you will be in my thoughts
Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey Jason,
We all fall down babe, get back up dust yourself off and start over. I think if you really think about it, that didn't make things any better. Next time you feel the need to get away...........come to PA! (((Hugs Jason))) it will be ok.