Info on Gulfcoast Rehab in Destin Fla needed

Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Info on Gulfcoast Rehab in Destin Fla needed

I have posted on here a couple of times about my 20 yr. old son. This past Sat. we convinced him to go into rehab in Destin Fla. We drove 13 hours through the night on Sat. to get him there. We talked to the people there before we took him but it was rushed because he agreed and we wanted to get him there before he backed out but I would like to know if anyone has any info, on this place. It does not use Suboxone or a 12 step program and is costing us 35,000.00. It is too late to back out but I would still like info.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is the address 3391 Scenic Coast Hwy 98?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes
Old 01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dont know about this one personally but i do know that Florida has some of the better rehabs in the south. This is coming from someone in Georgia and our rehab options here are really terrible so i dont know if that's saying much. i know that florida does put more money into their mental health and substance abuse programs. I had looked into some down there for my AS - it was actually going to be my next step when i was getting close to exhausting the ones here.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a small, family operated Narconon facility. Narconon is sponsored by The Church of Scientology.

They use the basic principals of Scientology to teach their clients how to cope with life, without substances. It's an effective program for some people, especially younger people, who do not relate well to a 12 step program.

Like any recovery program, some people take to it and some do not. Some choose stick with a 12 Step Program or Scientology Principals and some do not.

The basic principals are sound and are all about coping with "life's ups and downs" and strategies for a better life, without substances. The method of delivery is rather unorthadox but then again, there is nothing orthadox about addiction to opiates. Like 12 Steps if you work the program, the program works. If you don't, it won't.

No doubt that right now, he is spending most of his time in the showers and saunas, detoxing. Then the fun really begins. It's at that point that most addicts want to be anywhere other than rehab, regardless of which rehab. Many will start to manipulate their families to rescue them with variations of the following:

The program does not work.
They are nuts.
I can't relate.
They make me do chores.
People stare at me.
They are mean.
They abuse people.
People are doing drugs.
If it's a 12 Step program, they are apt to say they are not religious.
If it's Narcanon, they will use the Scientology thing.

The objective is to get you to rescue them so that they can go out and use again.

Narcanon has an established protocol for students who refuse to participate. They drop them off at a cheap motel and let the addict figure it out. Many parents are horrified by this. Many parents do not understand addiction.

Most rehabs are for profit businesses. Never lose sight of this.

Most private- pay or insurance sponsored treatment programs run 28-30 days and average about $1000 a day. Narcanon Programs are open-ended and run as long as it takes. Three-four months is typical. Therefore Narcanon is substantially more cost effective than many similar 12 Step Programs.

Many rehabs programs require upfront payment and are nonrefundable, no matter what the outcome, including early termination. Narcanon is no different. No doubt, you executed a contract, as sponsor for your son. That contract most likely has a grace period of X days, meaning that if you quickly withdraw your son you will get a partial refund. Read the contract.

There are no rehabs that guarantee that your son will choose to remain substance free, forever. Rehabs do not cure addiction. They teach the tools necessary to support a life without substances. When you get right down to it, the coping tools taught by Naracanon and a 12 Step Program are similar, albeit the delivery is different. It's up to the addict to choose to use those tools or not.

Scientology is viewed as a cult by many people. AA/NA and the whole 12 Step thing is viewed as a cult by many, too. Both require surrender, not a bad thing as it relates to addiction.

I am not a Scientologist nor a walking/talking billboard for Narconon. I do however have an appreciation for life without mood altering substances and acknowledge that any program works if you work it. People get sober at the Salvation Army and people get sober at Betty Ford. People also get and stay sober without any program, albeit not many. The long term recovery rate from addiction, regardless of which rehab/program, is rather dismal. Having said this, there are miracles, every day.

At the end of the day, no one dies of Scientology. The flip side is that the only outcomes related to opitate addiction are prison or death. There is no one right way to sobriety.

My daughter was in a Narcanon Program in another state. I responded to her manipulation and rescued her at the 5 day mark and paid for 5 days of detox. The cost was compariable to detox, anywhere.

I transfered her to a world class 12 step based program, in Minnesota. Almost immediately, she began to call me constantly making the same claims as she did at Narcanon. It was obvious, she did not want to be in a rehab, anywhere. Six days later, I got the call from this facility that they were going to discharge her at the local airport, in 24 hours because she needed more care than they were able to provide. We went onto rehab #3 in a matter of days.

I was absolutely insane during that period and believed that if I threw enough of my retirement savings at the problem, I could find a cure for addiction. I thought I had the power, energy and love to fix her. I was delusional.

My daughter is sober today, just for today, because she wants to be.

I am forever grateful to the people on this forum for helping me to understand that the only thing I control is me and my own reactions.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more information about Narcanon.
My bottomline is that any program works, if you work the program.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wow, Outtolunch, that is a magnificent post. Thank you for your input and for sharing your experience.

You put very well how rehabs work, the differences, and the ability of the addict to try to get out of staying. I too have found that any program works about as well as the addict's willingness to work it.

Again, thank you for this informative post.

Hugs
Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know this thread is from 2009 , but I was wondering what the outcome was with both of your children . Outtolunch and Dorton. Please let me know because I am going through this with my 25 yr old daughter. She has been using for 5 years and I am desperate to get her help! I fear for her life. ��
Old 05-06-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This was great information, I too am looking for a inpatient program for my daughter. I would love to hear what has happened since 2009 to see if you have found anything that works.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Dita, Winnie hasn't been here since 2010 and Outtolunch hasn't been here since 2014. She comes back periodically but if you are not answered that is why.

What I can offer is this, the outcome of any program is directly related to the addict's willingness to embrace it and work it into his real life once he/she leaves rehab. Often it takes more than one shot for them to want it enough to do the work that is necessary to stay sober and clean. Some, like my son, may go through the revolving door of recovery/relapse for years and years and others may grab on for dear life and once is enough. We never know how our children will do until they do it..

Someone else may be able to tell you about rehabs in your area, this site has several listed for most states. If cost is an issue, the Salvation Army Program is very good, long term and free.

My prayers and best wishes go out for your daughter, and for you too. It's a scary rough road for all of us.

Hugs
Old 05-07-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you very much