SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   bf in 6mo rtc--can they make strides/change in 1mo 1/2??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/167689-bf-6mo-rtc-can-they-make-strides-change-1mo-1-2-a.html)

kuljey 01-26-2009 03:49 PM

bf in 6mo rtc--can they make strides/change in 1mo 1/2???

my bf has been in a 6mo residential rehab for over 1mo 1/2. His letters have been like a person i dont know. He has phone privliges now and he sounds like a person i dont know.

do you think he is quacking or could he be changed? Im keeping my guard up cuz i still dont trust.

if you have followed some of my other posts you may know some of my story.
yvonne

hello-kitty 01-26-2009 03:56 PM

It may just be me, but I wouldn't trust a thing anyone says while they are in jail or in rehab. It's real easy to make promises in a controlled environment, but real hard to follow through on them once the structure is gone and your every move isn't being monitored.

It doesn't mean I don't encourage people who are making attempts at recovery. I think it's great. But I wouldn't base my future on promises being made by someone who doesn't have a good responsible history of following through on them.

Actions not words.

Have you thought about what your personal boundaries are? About what kind of behavior you are willing to accept in your life and what the consequences will be if someone violates your personal boundaries?

laurie6781 01-26-2009 04:14 PM

Again, Actions not words.

After he's out, does he diligently look for and find a job and a place to live NOT WITH YOU. Does he go to meetings? Does he meet with his sponsor regularly? Are his 'actions' coinciding with his words?

Right now, I would NOT believe a word coming out of his mouth, he is STILL QUACKING.

Recovery is not a 3 month or a 6 month project. Recovery is LIFE CONSUMING especially in the first several years.

Keep your distance, watch from the sidelines, and PLEASE develop a "Wait and See Attitude."

J M H O from almost 28 years in continuous recovery from Alcohol and drugs, and almost 25 years continuous recovery in AlAnon.

Love and hugs,

marle 01-26-2009 04:37 PM

When my daughter was in rehab and a halfway house, I noticed a real difference in her, although she did and still does have addict behaviors. She kept to her word and got a job, is still attending meetings and paying off her debts. She went to rehab because she was ready to change her life. Hugs, Marle

winnie12 01-27-2009 06:56 AM

Looking back i see it as cycles. When my son would be about 4-6 weeks clean is when his mind would start to come back and he would start sounding like the old him and saying things that were more realistic. what i try to remember is that he is in a sober environment, hearing these things all day long. It doesnt take too much to be sober and saying healthy things in these environments its what they do when they get out of these environments that really shows you if they have changed. Its not that I dont believe him its just that I know that he's not in his real life with real situations that give him opportunity and reason to change his mind. We are all subject to the environments we are in. I personally take it all with a grain of salt. Its positive that some of this getting through but the real proof of recovery comes when he's in the real world.

Serenity Bound 01-27-2009 07:08 AM

Actions speak louder than words. IMO Believe none of what you hear and only 1/2 of what you see.

outtolunch 01-27-2009 07:32 AM

This is the guy who, 6 days ago, was blaming you for his last relapse?

Can you hear the Quack?

k1a2t3h4r5y6n7 01-27-2009 08:00 AM

It's really good that you recognize it as what it is... A person you don't know.
I mistook his caring behavior in rehab for "oh, there's the man I fell in love with."
Instead I think it should have been "oh, there's the version of him when he was on coke and trying really hard to make me happy so i wouldn't see how f***ed up he was"

there's probably a lot going through his mind right now and i'm guessing it will be a long time (for both of us) until you (or me either) see him for himself.

littlebird77 01-27-2009 06:22 PM

oh this thread scares me... my ABF is or at least seems to be going down the right path... now I'm worried.

serenityqueen 01-27-2009 07:28 PM

I imagine I am going to ruffle a few feathers here, but I have to speak my Peace.

For those of you who don't "know me," I'm a Recovering Addict/Alcoholic with 3 1/2 years in Recovery. I used for 32 years before I finally "got it." 25 of those years I spent in and out of Treatment.

While I whole heartedly agree that family members/loved ones need to be cautious to protect themselves from further pain that us addicts/alcoholics bring into your lives, I have to say, please be careful.

I know I'm not the norm, but when I finally surrendered, the changes in me began to take place overnight. Just a few days ago when I was cleaning out my desk, I ran across something I wrote when I had 24 days Clean. I knew then, in my gut, deep down, that I was done. But I knew that I had told everyone this more times than I can begin to count over the years. My Mom encouraged me with things like, "I know you can do this, I believe in you . . ."

But my Brother was another story. His words stung bad. Of course he had a right to say to me that he had heard it so many times before, that time will tell . . . But I just want the family members/loved ones to know that we don't need to be shamed any more than we have shamed ourselves. Whether the addict in your life has been court ordered into treatment or went completely on their own, there will be things said in treatment that will stick whether this person "gets it this time" or not.

By the time an addict/alcoholic gets to the point of treatment becoming necessary, please know that deep down, no matter how the person may act or what they may say, they truly want to get clean and stay clean. It is scarry thinking about not having that crutch, teddy bear, safety net that we used as a protective coat of armor in or lives anymore. The last thing we want is to hurt you any more than we already have.

In closing, please just be supportive of the addict in your life while they are in treatment. I'm not saying to give them money, go to every visit or even participate if you don't feel you can. Just please watch the words you choose. When an addict is in treatment and in early Recovery, they are just as vulnerable as a newborn baby.

I thank you for letting me speak, what is, my opinion.

God Bless you all for caring enough about the addict/alcoholic in your life that you are on SR,
Judy

greeteachday 01-27-2009 08:13 PM

Thank you Judy. I really appreciate your words.

I've found it easier not to look at it as don't trust; I view it as my responsibility in my own recovery to not create expectations or control what is not mine to control. It keeps the focus on me and my conduct rather than judging someone else. I realized this worked for me after several times where I would build my own little world of expectations and what I thought was the right path, and then harbor all kinds of resentments when my child could not meet the challenge - a challenge she knew nothing about, of course, since I planned it all and just assumed my way was the right way.

I will never regret the times that I visited my daughter in rehab and laughed and enjoyed seeing "her" and not the active addict, and hugged her and told her I believed in her. I will always treasure the look on her face when she had a day pass and we went out on wave runners. That smile, the laughter, the look that was the daughter who was buried beneath the disease for the year before this is a memory that will comfort me for a lifetime. I knew I could not tell what the future would bring and I still needed to protect myself financially and protect her from my enabling, but just for that day, it was wonderful to enjoy being together.

While I whole heartedly agree that family members/loved ones need to be cautious to protect themselves from further pain that us addicts/alcoholics bring into your lives, I have to say, please be careful.

we don't need to be shamed any more than we have shamed ourselves
Shamed...yes, to me the worst part of this horrible disease is the guilt and shame aspects... a big part of the cycle and the dance for both addicts and codependents. As long as I work on me and keep the inventory taking to my own "stock" I hope not to perpetuate that guilt and shame. Sometimes I think that doing that and showing by my actions that I love and believe in my loved ones' abilities to take care of themselves are the best ways I can support my addict in recovery.

I hope you can enjoy the pleasure of this time with your loved one and not project what will happen next. Hugs

k1a2t3h4r5y6n7 01-28-2009 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by littlebird77 (Post 2082221)
oh this thread scares me... my ABF is or at least seems to be going down the right path... now I'm worried.

please elaborate on this.. why are you worried just after reading this thread?

hello-kitty 01-28-2009 11:57 AM

Judy great post. I guess I think of it as staying in the present and not getting to caught up in the future promises of a person who is in rehab.

As an addict - today I can be completely committed to staying off drugs. However, tomorrow I could relapse. My friends and family have no control over what I might do should I start thinking about using drugs again. And I certainly wouldn't tell them I was thinking about relapsing should the thought enter my mind.

From the other perspective:

As a family member of an addict - I only have control over whether or not I let myself get to caught up in the promises of a person who has never followed through on his promises to me. I need to recognize that there is always a possibility that an addict may relapse. Therefore, it is my responsibility to take care of myself no matter what - and not believe immediately believe hype of someone who has only been clean for a week, or a month. Time will tell...

k1a2t3h4r5y6n7 01-28-2009 12:20 PM

but, also from the point of view of a family member or loved one, there are times in your relationship when you need to make plans based on what they say.

if they are making an honest effort to get clean, then i may be willing to give them another (or even several) chance(s), but, if everything they're saying is just hype, it might be worth walking away right now.
it's hard to know when to make that call.

my problem that i was having when my addict was in treatment was that our family therapy would ask "well, kathryn, after hearing this and hearing him say that he wants to stay clean and he wants to have a good relationship with you, are you willing to give this relationship another try?" and i would say "well, i know that he means what he says RIGHT NOW, but when he get's home, will he feel the same way?"
almost everytime he came home messed up on cocaine, he would try to hide it. i would nicely ask him if he had been doing coke, and he would (sometimes) say yes. then usually i'd get upset, and he'd feel guilty and say "i didn't tell you because i feel so bad about it. i don't want to do it anymore. i hate the way i feel afterwards, it's not worth it. i'm not hanging out with *so 'n' so* anymore."
and i'm convinced that, at the time, he was telling the truth. he really meant what he was saying.

its just that, a week later he changed his mind.
or he found another drug to do.

if i had been able to discern the bullsh*t from the truth, then i probably would have left a long time ago.

so, sometimes we kind of have to depend on what they say and "really mean" to make some decisions.

kuljey 02-02-2009 02:21 PM

Oh this is so true

Originally Posted by cynical one (Post 2080734)

1) THIS time is it/I’m done

6) Work with me on this
7) I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry

9) I know what I have to do

12) I need you as a friend
13) I wouldn’t leave you in jail/abandon you if you were here

15) I need to stay clean for myself
16) I’m getting too old for this $hit
17) I don't want to use

20) Look at the damage I have done to...(fill in the blank)

22) I want to be respected and will have to work really hard to earn that respect back
23) I will do anything to make it right

25) I am so lonely in here
26) If you were the addict, and had this disease I would stick by you 100%
27) Forget the past and look forward to our future together.

29) I will change

Holy moly these are so true!!!

kuljey 02-02-2009 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by winnie12 (Post 2081285)
what i try to remember is that he is in a sober environment, hearing these things all day long. It doesnt take too much to be sober and saying healthy things in these environments its what they do when they get out of these environments that really shows you if they have changed. Its not that I dont believe him its just that I know that he's not in his real life with real situations that give him opportunity and reason to change his mind.

it sounds right, being in a controlled enviroment would cause ppl to be talking so diffferently.

kuljey 02-02-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by k1a2t3h4r5y6n7 (Post 2081364)
I mistook his caring behavior in rehab for "oh, there's the man I fell in love with."

You know, when i met my bf he was not this nice....so...im getting to know a person little by little (mail, 2 ph calls a week) that i never knew. I didnt fall in love w/the perfect person/man. He is sounding very different now, like someone i dont know.

kuljey 02-02-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by serenityqueen (Post 2082287)

there will be things said in treatment that will stick whether this person "gets it this time" or not.

In closing, please just be supportive of the addict in your life while they are in treatment. I'm not saying to give them money, go to every visit or even participate if you don't feel you can. Just please watch the words you choose. When an addict is in treatment and in early Recovery, they are just as vulnerable as a newborn baby.

thank you for this. i realize i am in unchartered waters at this point-for me. not even 2 months into rehab and im worrying bout when he is out. am sticking by him and taking the wait and see route. so far he is speaking differently. he is sounding like he is sick of being sick, dependent on a drug.

kuljey 02-02-2009 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by greeteachday (Post 2082344)
I've found it easier not to look at it as don't trust; I view it as my responsibility in my own recovery to not create expectations or control what is not mine to control. It keeps the focus on me and my conduct rather than judging someone else.

Shamed...yes, to me the worst part of this horrible disease is the guilt and shame aspects... a big part of the cycle and the dance for both addicts and codependents. As long as I work on me and keep the inventory taking to my own "stock" I hope not to perpetuate that guilt and shame. Sometimes I think that doing that and showing by my actions that I love and believe in my loved ones' abilities to take care of themselves are the best ways I can support my addict in recovery.

this is good information. makes alot of sense. we cannot control anybody and focusing on ourselves is the best thing to do sometimes. thank you for your insight! very helpful. :praying