What is the consensus of opinion here?

Old 01-24-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the consensus of opinion here?

There is a job opening for a maintenance/park aide coming up. It's not a big deal job, but it's a job. It's also just a temporary job till September.

My son decided to apply for it; however, he thinks he should answer no to the questions "have you ever been convicted, etc."

I say answer truthfully with explanation. He says no 'cause they'll never hire an X-felon. He thinks he has a better chance of getting hired by lying. Later if they find out, and he's been doing a good job, they'll ignore it.

HMMMM? I say tell the truth. Besides, he has a certificate of completion from the forestry on fire fighting that he earned while in the fire camp. Who knows they may think that's a plus.

What do you say?

Hugs, Devastated
Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dev, I'm not really sure....me I would tell the truth. It's funny that this should come up as my AD just said last week (she's looking for some PT work) that she is glad when the app only asked if you have been convicted of a felon, because so far she has not. Been to jail, yes, felon no.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 01-24-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dev...I've always gone with honesty. Sometimes it was because I knew with my luck, I'd get caught in the lie, lol, but now...well just 'cause that's the only thing that fits right in my skin.

Of course, he's going to do what he's going to do, no matter what, right?

When my daughter applied for the job she is in now, she told them more than they ever needed to know. She doesn't have a criminal record since in my state, DUI's (although she did serve some jail time) are motor vehicle, not criminal, but she felt she needed to be honest. Right after she was hired, one of the vice presidents who handles the personnel area called her in his office. She figured they had changed their mind. He told her he admired her honesty and appreciated what she had done and all the work she has accomplished in turning a new leaf and told her there was no reason she had to tell anyone else at the company if she chose not to.
So I guess you never know...
Old 01-24-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My daughter does not have a criminal background but she did not tell her place of work why she had 2+ years with no employment. They did not ask and she did not tell. So I guess you can give your son your opinion but it is up to him to decide what to do. (Darn) Hugs, Marle
Old 01-24-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think honesty is always the best policy. If they don't ask about a felony, he probably shouldn't feel obligated to mention it; but if they do ask, he should be honest.

If someone lies to me about one thing, I have a tendency to question everything that comes out of their mouth.

Just my two cents; but I do wish him luck. It sounds like a fun job.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Prospective employers routinely require applicants to give consent to having their credit report pulled, as a condition for further consideration. Some employers extend this to include a criminal background check.

The credit reporting agencies are increasingly picking up criminal convictions and reporting them as " other information" within the report.

I would assume that this will be a requirement and it will be necessary to discuss the conviction. Generally speaking HR people want to hear simple statements....I was convicted of ABC and have fulfilled my obligations to the courts. Acknowledge the crime and communicate reasonable remorse, that one has to work harder than the average bear to prove rehabilitation.

What they do not want to hear is anyone coming across as a victim or trying to blame the other guy or the court system. In otherwords, they are looking for maturity.

Ongoing education/ skill certification is a plus. And lastly, community service can tip the scales in favor of any job applicant. It's walking the talk.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I say tell the truth.... it will get you a whole lot further then a lie will..
Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I hope yall dont mind me sharing my own experience with this topic.
I am not going to say what you son should or should not do. Only what I have experienced.
I have not been convicted of a felony ever. I have however been arrested and charged with numerous felonies. So when they ask on an application if I have been convicted I say no. BUT..If that employer does background checks. They do need to have the consent of the applicant in writing with signature. I answered no felony convisiton s and consent for a background check.
That employer pulled up every imaginable thing he could. Things I totally forgot about from 10+ yrs ago. He flipped out. My worst would be a strong arm robbery charge that was dropped to a misdemeanor petty theft. I was not informed this background check was going to include arrests. Even dropped charges. And the robbery charge didnt even happen like that. It was a fight where the other persons necklace was ripped off in the scuffle.
But with that employer. He wasnt hearing anything I had to say. I wasnt saying poor me. I was honest. I simply said I did some really stupid things awhile back. But its been awhile since I have gotten in trouble. I even tried to make light ogf it a little by saying. You know how it is when you at that age. You think you know it all and nothing can touch you. He acted like I was found with 50 bodies in my trunk or something.
I had already worked about a week before they got that background back. And he was telling me all that time how much of a good worker I was and how fast I picked things up. blah blah blah.
Another employer I was honest about that robbery charge. Told them what happened. What the outcome was. And also the same line that I was wild back then but I have long since matured and not gotten in trouble in a long time. As soon as they saw the background info. Again. Rejection.
So in my experience. Being honest hasnt worked for me.
I am a very hard worker. And reliable. I am honest and I am far from that person on those police files. But alot of employers dont care. Its a shame. It really is.
MAkes you feel like you will never out live your wrongs no matter how much you change or try.
I hope everything works out for your son. I cant say what he should do. But whatever he does. I hope he gets the job. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to make it. And for me..If I have to leave out some details. Then so be it. I will just deal with it when that time comes. Sry if I ffended anyone. But I have been rejected for my past so many times. It hurts and gets so frustrating after so many times.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chiynita, I'm sorry things still come back to bite you...it does stink.
An area I oversee issues licenses for a professional service (that deals with people and sometimes handles funds). There is a standard list of questions that are asked in every state, including have you ever been convicted of a crime. In our state we look at things in terms of whether the standards of being considered a rehabilitated offender are met (things like the time since the occurence; age at the time, circumstances, references, community involvement, etc) Many states have a similar approach but I have run into others that like you stated, put the person through torment based on charges, not convictions or will deny because the person was convicted of a felony 20 years ago.
I don't believe that is fair or just..it stinks. I can certainly understand your frustration and I hope you have been able to overcome these obstacles and find the job that works for you!
Old 01-25-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Employers do background checks now fairly routinely. Honesty is the only way. If he does not tell them and they get his record, he will definitely NOT get the job because he lied on the app.

I wish him very good luck in his search!!! HG
Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exactly what Hydro said... I worked for the employer who did the checks and more than once I had to "follow policy" an let someone go for lying on the application. We might have been able to allow employment depending upon the charge.... but it was the dishonesty from the get go that broke the deal.

Be honest.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

In times of economic hardship, and high unemployment,
using these types of past records
are just one more way to weed out
the mountains of applications
that employers have in front of them.

During other times,
when unemployment is low,
and employees are hungry for people to fill positions,
They are much more willing to overlook these past records,
And give people a chance.

It's not fair.
But, it is what it is.

I cannot say what he should do.
But, I understand his problem.
And I feel for him.

Shalom!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi Dev, I say to tell the truth. My dad used to run a stell plant and hired a man that had done time. He lied on his application and after finding out~ dad fired him. He said if the fella had told the truth he would have kept him on. I know things are a lot different today but checking out employees is probable the same. Honesty is so important...hugs, Bonnie
Old 01-25-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your input.

He asked me what I thought and I suggested he tell the truth. I said to him what's the big deal anyway?? It's just a temp job for a few months and they'll probably have a lot of applicants. So, tell the truth and take your chances. At least they have to respect you for that don't you think? I would!

There is no way in this world that they are going to hire him!! However, stranger things have happened I guess. I mean not that he doesn't present himself well, because he does. He is very articulate, and very charming (part of the con-artist thing) but don't think the state hires people with records.

Incidentally, no big deal around here 'cause if you ask me everyone has a record here! This is Mayberry, believe me you can't cross the street wrong and not end up in jail here! They hand out felonies here like candy!! It's really terrible.

With any luck at all they'll all be X-felons applying. LOL

He needs to work on getting his contractor's license back so he can work for himself. Of course, you need to be very disciplined in order to work for yourself.

Thanks though, it was interesting to see the different views.

Hugs, Devastated