SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Topomax (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/167229-topomax.html)

jerect 01-21-2009 10:17 AM

Topomax

My AH was just put on Topomax by his DR in addition to him already being on seroquel, Suboxone and Paxil..

I'm trying really hard to stay out of AH's affairs.. but I'm thinking that this is a lot of medication to be on.. My AH was not clear as to why she put him on Topomax.. He said that the Dr. wants to wean him off subs soon and that this would help.. plus he has gained about 40 pounds since October from the seroquel, apparently one of the side affects is craving carbs..

When I researched Topomax it says that it is for people with seizures... my AH has never suffered from seizures so I have no idea why this Dr. would prescribe him this..

Even though my AH seems to be doing very well on subs and he is working hard on his program and changing his life, he is still an addict with a lot of addict behavior and of course he is going to take whatever the Dr. prescribes him..

I was just wondering if any of you guys have had any experiance with this drug and if any of your addicts that are taking subs have been prescribed topomax...

cinderellawkids 01-21-2009 10:32 AM

topomax is often prescribed for migraines and mood disorders and ofter prescribed in conjunction with an anti depressant or SSRI and has had great effects as such

laurie6781 01-21-2009 10:49 AM

Topomax is one of the drugs also used for neuropathic pain. They tried me on it and it made me crazy, however, I have been on Neurontin now for 4+ years and it works great.

The use of drugs and/or alcohol has a large tendancy to destroy the coverings on the nerve endings which then makes the nerves send erroneous messages of pain or not send proper messages for moving arms, legs, etc The neurontin has done wonders for me in allowing me to continue to walk and function while keeping the flashes of pain in check.

That being said, I have friends that the Topomax works and the neurontin doesn't. When they wean him off the seroquel and Suboxone he will probably get these flashes and the intensity of them can take your breath away. I believe his Dr is trying to prevent some really lousy side affects.

Hope that helps.

Now I have a question for you. Why are you SO INVOLVED in what he is taking, what he is doing? Please put the focus back on you. You really cannot do a thing for him, and it really doesn't matter what the Dr has him taking or not taking. HIS RECOVERY is HIS. Please............................................ ..................................you are only driving yourself crazy.

J M H O

Love and hugs,

Done_With_It 01-21-2009 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jerect (Post 2072762)
My AH was just put on Topomax by his DR in addition to him already being on seroquel, Suboxone and Paxil..

I'm trying really hard to stay out of AH's affairs.. but I'm thinking that this is a lot of medication to be on.. My AH was not clear as to why she put him on Topomax.. He said that the Dr. wants to wean him off subs soon and that this would help.. plus he has gained about 40 pounds since October from the seroquel, apparently one of the side affects is craving carbs..

When I researched Topomax it says that it is for people with seizures... my AH has never suffered from seizures so I have no idea why this Dr. would prescribe him this..

Even though my AH seems to be doing very well on subs and he is working hard on his program and changing his life, he is still an addict with a lot of addict behavior and of course he is going to take whatever the Dr. prescribes him..

I was just wondering if any of you guys have had any experiance with this drug and if any of your addicts that are taking subs have been prescribed topomax...

Topamax is actually used for a variety of things. They use it for bipolar,
eating disorders, self harm, alcoholism, ptsd, ocd, stop smoking, migraines, etc.
It has been as close as you can get to a miracle drug for me.
I know they do like to use it with seroquel because of the massive weight gain that seroquel causes, it often balances out the two or helps to lose gained weight.

Who knows why they gave it to him, I wouldn't worry about it because you never know what those crazy pysch's are thinking anyway.
It is also common to put people on a "cocktail" until they find what works out best.

I think it is okay to be a little concerned though, as long as you don't get too concerned. :)
My doctors at one time put me on way too many things and since "THEY"
were the doctors I did as they said, trust them, and didn't realize till I was about to lose my mind, and suicidal that they had me on WAYYYYY TO MANY DRUGS...... It was my friends and my Mom who helped me realize and get off them. So IMO, it's not bad to be concerned. In the end he will do what he wants to do, so once you voice your concern (if you have any) you can let it go.

Just a word of warning though, Topamax is known as Dopamax. It will most likely make him dumb for a while. lol, You can forget things, forget how to say certain words, how to talk, you get lost, etc... Usually they start you out on a low dose so you don't get too dumb, but....
If he starts acting dumb, he's probably not doing it on purpose.

It wears off though, and you get your smartness back.

Just tell him to keep his cell phone with him , in case he gets lost. :lmao

That is my experience anyway.

marle 01-21-2009 12:21 PM

My daughter is on Suboxone, Seroquel, Singulair for her Asthma, Trazadone if needed for sleep. When she first came back from rehab and she took all the pills at night they made her act loopy but during the day she is okay. The Seroquel is the drug that I dislike because it makes a person numb and they can nod on highter doses and my daughter did heroin for that feeling. I think she takes too much of it (75 mgs.) but when she found out the side effect of gaining weight she cut back on it. It does work well for her anxiety. I try to stay out of it. I figure when she is ready to stop, she will. Hugs, Marle

Freedom1990 01-21-2009 12:29 PM

I'm on Topamax as a preventative measure for migraines, rather than using something to use to treat them as I get them. I've had chronic migraines since the age of 20. I'm also on Cymbalta and Mirtazapine (generic Remeron) for depression.

Impurrfect 01-21-2009 01:09 PM

((Jerect))

After we got robbed at work, and I got whacked on the head, I have migraines and PTSD. I am on a combination of Pristiq (anti-d), topamax and seroquel. I also have treximet for breakthrough migraines, though I haven't had to take them, lately.

Done is right about the Topamax, aka "dopamax". My dr. warned me about it, but it only lasted for a few days. It also makes sodas taste really bad, and that has lasted ever since I've been on it.

I haven't had any weight gain from the seroquel, but both the Pristiq and topamax cause appetite depression, so I actually lost weight.

I know you're concerned about all these medications, but I would leave it to his dr. I would prefer not to be on ANY medications, but that is not an option for me, right now. I realize my circumstances are different than your husband's, but as mentioned above, there are several reasons why topamax is prescribed.

With me, the anti-d keeps me awake, no matter how tired I am. I take the topamax and seroquel when I'm ready to go to sleep. I don't like having to take pills to regulate my sleep/wake pattern, but it is what it is. It keeps my mental status on an even keel, so it's worth it.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

jerect 01-21-2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by marle (Post 2072891)
My daughter is on Suboxone, Seroquel, Singulair for her Asthma, Trazadone if needed for sleep. When she first came back from rehab and she took all the pills at night they made her act loopy but during the day she is okay. The Seroquel is the drug that I dislike because it makes a person numb and they can nod on highter doses and my daughter did heroin for that feeling. I think she takes too much of it (75 mgs.) but when she found out the side effect of gaining weight she cut back on it. It does work well for her anxiety. I try to stay out of it. I figure when she is ready to stop, she will. Hugs, Marle

When My AH first went on Seroquell he was somewhat loopy and out of it too.. then the Doc lowered the dose and he seems to have adjusted fine to it..

Topamax is actually used for a variety of things. They use it for bipolar,
eating disorders, self harm, alcoholism, ptsd, ocd, stop smoking, migraines, etc.
It has been as close as you can get to a miracle drug for me.
I know they do like to use it with seroquel because of the massive weight gain that seroquel causes, it often balances out the two or helps to lose gained weight.
Thanks, that does explain a lot ....

I think it is okay to be a little concerned though, as long as you don't get too concerned
I'm not too concerned, I was just a little curious mostly... I like to be informed of my AH is taking because if something were to happen to AH and I needed to tell the Doc what he was on...then I would want to be correct in what I was telling him...

kathy306 01-21-2009 08:16 PM

The Dr is most probably using Topamax as a mood stabilizer. Many of the seizure meds such as Depkote, Topamax, Trileptal and Lamictal are used as mood stabilizers. It is used alone but more typically as adjunct with antipsychotics. He could also being using it for weight loss (since you had said he gained weight on the Seroquel). Topamax causes signifcant weight loss esp in higher doses. Has he been diagnosed with a mental illness? The meds you mention are quite typical for many addict patients I have cared for.

notsleepingwell 01-22-2009 05:39 AM

You know.....my daughter has a bucket full of prescription pills....for anything, everything...I told her...you are 31 and are on more pills than me...I"m 53, and I'm on nothing. I just wonder if this is really a good thing. I mean I'm glad she's off heroin...but COME ON!!!
Do they really need a pill for every little thing they experience???