SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Making new habits (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/167224-making-new-habits.html)

InAnotherLife 01-21-2009 09:37 AM

Making new habits

I'm finding every single morning I go through a period of extreme downtime. Every morning I think about going back to the ex, and back to the *life*. I know it will pass, just as when I was done getting high I knew the extreme frustration, and wanting more would pass... just a waiting game. I set up a plan last night that this morning I would work out first thing in the morning to get my mind off of anything bad. Well, I woke up a little late, and I just was consumed with wanting to go back. Had to call xabf's mom which was hard. Have to go to xabf's house for like 30 seconds (she babysits for me while I work) today.

I'm doing ok now, just hopped on here first thing, but blew away like 2 hrs waiting for the want to go back to subside. I'm getting into dangerous thinking here, because I know he'll be back eventually, and so the most motivating thing to tell myself is *Get my life together, so that when he comes back we won't have so many complications*. Meanwhile in my heart I know once I get my life together I'll feel so good abt myself that I won't WANT to go back. But that's been my motivating factor, and it works.

Here's my problem, I've gotta do something about the *morning blues* that inevitably go away... but are just not working right now for me. When I'm in that mindset I just want to call him, I almost thought of telling him, hey we can hang out, keep it a secret, we'll just be friends. But that's crazy thinking. I won't do it, but my mind played that conversation today. I need to get stricter with myself. I need to find something to do in the morning that is self improving, but that I'll be able to force myself to do. After eating like crazy all day yesterday (guess trying to catch up with only having eaten like once every other day for the last month) I'm back to not having any desire to eat again. Back to starving myself to get off the weight that I've gained in the last week after quitting drugs.

This is hard, really hard. I mess up all my morning plans and make myself feel like a failure for the day. Why?

Chino 01-21-2009 09:59 AM

Fear of more change? Since you just quit drugs that's a huge change all by itself. Are you going to meetings?

jerect 01-21-2009 10:07 AM

((((InAnotherLife))))

I was feeling really depressed for a long time over my situation... about three weeks ago, I started getting up everyday at the same time, no matter how tired I was just so that I could have a routine..

After I get up in the mornings, I take my Alanon literature and I read it and then I write in my gratitude journal.. I list at least 5 things that I'm thankful for each day so that when the going is tough, I can look back and know that things are not always bad as they seem.. I start it off as Today, I'm so Happy and Grateful that.......

Like Chino, suggested.. are you going to meetings? If not, please consider it.. you will find tools to help you make some new habits.. and remember One Day at A time..

InAnotherLife 01-21-2009 10:09 AM

Wow, meetings... I'm not even close to giving in to the drugs, the pull isn't that strong, more the pull of being with the guy I loved so purely and deeply, and realizing I didn't even know who he was, and he never understood what I felt for him. I'm raising a 2 year old pretty much alone, and between working and still going through a bad situation on the home front, I can't justify taking ANY time away from my daughter. She went through a lot lately, and she's just getting to be a happy kid now too. She wasn't happy when we were there, and now she's got no worries... just a happy kid. That feels nice.

jerect 01-21-2009 10:40 AM

Wow, meetings... I'm not even close to giving in to the drugs
I have never given into the drugs either but both alanon and open NA/AA meetings are a vital part of my recovery.. I have gained so many tools to help myself toward the growth that I want to achieve and I have learned so much about myself and have found out what true serenity feels like by going to meetings..

Think of it as free self help... it's much cheaper then going to a shrink and much more rewarding..