Did something GREAT for myself last weekend

Old 01-21-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did something GREAT for myself last weekend

I had planned to meet up with a hiking club in the White Mtns. of NH to climb Mt. Washington over the MLK weekend. Due to the stress of my son I almost didn't go but I literally forced myself out of the house Friday to start the drive.

Am I glad I did! I had a great time meeting new people, staying at a hostel and climbing/hiking in -15 degree weather. We didn't make the summit (60+ wind gusts and -40 wind chills up there), but we had a great time going as far as we could...that's hiking for you.

Got home Monday and it started up again, phone call from my AS that his plans to get into a rehab community went wrong, they don't know what they're doing....blah..blah...blah. But I still feel great today because I took that trip.

Moral of the story ---Don't forget to take care of yourself. We all know that...but it's easy to forget on the way down.

Be well everyone....do something you enjoy.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

thanks for the reminder.
the problems will still be there when we get back.
might as well take some time to enjoy ourselves.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's Wonderful that you went & had a great time We do need a reminder sometimes to take care of ourselves & live our own lives.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HD, I'm headed to Las Vegas in two weeks for an annual convention. We've been going for 20 years and I love the outlying areas, parks, away from the city. Last night it suddenly hit me that I'll be gone for an entire week and what if something happens? I wanted to smack myself as soon as I thought it. Thanks for the reminder and I'm glad you had a great time!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its great you went! sometimes we really need to push ourselves.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Thanks for this post HurtingDad..

A year ago I was running marathons and somehow along the way I lost myself in my AH's disease..

I have been doing a lot of soul searching for the past couple of weeks and i'm slowly doing things that I enjoy.. I have even signed up for another marathon.. it's not till December but it will take that long for me to recondition myself.. It's a goal and I will work to achieve it..

Kudos for you for taking time out for you>>
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Isn't it amazing what, a little time and space *away, can do to change the view
HurtingDad, I am glad you had a great time...
Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
BBD

Hurting Dad, I'm glad you had a nice time taking care of yourself. We do need to remember to do that occasionally. Fresh air, a good hike and fun people...great mix!! Now remember how you felt and do it more often. In this cold weather maybe next time pick something a little less COLD~~ LOL I'm certainly getting tired of our NY winter and longing for garden time.. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Hurtingdad)))

I'm so glad that you went and did something for YOU!!!

When we A's are not-quite-working-our-recovery, we act all needy and dependent. We're not. We NEED you parents, spouses, bf's, gf's, etc. to take care of YOU. It makes us focus on US, and gives us something to strive for. When you can go out and do something enjoyable for yourself...we may resent it at the time, but we also remember it and set it as a goal.

I'm NOT saying take care of you, just because of what it does for the A. I'm only adding my viewpoing because I know so many of you feel guilty about taking care of you, and detaching. I want you to see it benefits you AND the A..it's a win-win situation.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really terrific that you did this for yourself! I remember canceling a trip to vermont because of fear of leaving my daughter alone. Thing was, she didn't ask me to do that and I carried resentment against her for it for awhile. It took some looking into myself to realize the only person i could be mad at was me.

Wow - Mt Washington is a challenge in good weather - I am so impressed that you went now! Thanks for the reminder and for sharing your happiness.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Woo-Hoo

Fabulous news.

From ratty bathrobe to the summit ( well almost).

Was the hardest step, the one out the door?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's great news.
I always find that any form of excersize seems to help lift the mood, even if just slightly. It's the adrenalin i think and you feel exhausted afterwards but satisfied.
Maybe i don't make much sense, but sometimes i have to go and do something energetic to help calm me down a little.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That sounds wonderful - good for you!!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hurting Dad,

Great reminder! Sounds like once you convinced yourself to walk out the door you had a great time, I'm so glad for you.

I struggle with living for me rather than trying to second guess where/when my AS might need help and being available then or when/where I think "then" will be. Crazy, stupid, insane me for continuing to get caught up in it.

So great reminder for me to get my head straight and go about my day doing what I need to do instead of looking all around in case my AS is lurking about and grabbing the phone every time it rings in case it's my AS, etc.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

well you certainly deserve it!~
Old 01-22-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HurtingDad View Post
Moral of the story ---Don't forget to take care of yourself. We all know that...but it's easy to forget on the way down.

Wow - thank you - we are all on the way down when we're not detached from active addiction aren't we? Codies do that to the hilt. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

HurtingDad....Glad you had a great time!! Continue doing the things you like to do.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hurtingdad,
I am so glad you had a good time. The weather there sounds a lot like here in NJ lately.
Keep up the good work
Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wonderful!!! I have been thinking about you since your last post, you were so down. I felt so sad for you.....funny this site has a way of doing that when you read how someones heart is hurting for thier children and we all know that pain in one way or another. It seems like a long roller coaster ride with so many ups and more downs. Well now that you have learned it pays to take time for yourself, do it more often and keep reminding us that we need to do it also. Wishing you the best.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this, H-Dad! I know it makes me feel so much better and so much more self-focused (instead of AD-focused) when I get out and take my winter run. Though I can't quite imagine hiking in 40 below or whatever!! Doing these things for ourselves does change the perspective, though.