Need Advice regarding Daughter

Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, Wanted to add my welcome to you and your wife. I also am a mom of two daughters who have journeyed through this horrible disease. At one point almost 3 years ago, they were in rehabs 1000 miles apart. I was fully involved in the dance of addiciton and a physical and emotiopnal mess. Today Naranon and SR have helped me to face the greatest pain possible and to find hope and serenity.

I understand the crash and burn fear oh so well. But I lost my youngest while I was providing support and shelter and encouraging her through her struggles with recovery. Drugs don't discriminate...Going back out just once can do it and tainted drugs can kill in a mansion or on the street. I don't mean to instill fear, just the opposite. One of the things I have learned is that letting a child find her own way can be salvation rather than the crash and burn you fear. It may well help her get to the point where she is not only ready, but also willing to do whatever it takes to stick to recovery. It may not be pretty to see her hit bottom, but it could save her life.

My older child did find her way. Today she has a wonderful job and apartment, a healthy relationship, is pursuing advanced education and doing it all on her own...What a difference from just a few years ago.

I'm so glad you are going to try Naranon. I had tried a few meetings but just hadn't found the one that clicked. When I walked into my home group, I knew immediately. It's been 3 years and active addiction is no longer in my life, but I keep going back. It has helped me in all aspects of my life and I've made such wonderful friendships. Meetings are like coming home.