Group Therapy Meltdown

Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with Hydrogirl. Silently, other parents probably agreed with you and cheered you on! All my support to you and keep working away. I had a cousin who died from alcoholism and drugs (mainly the alcohol) in his thirties. When I moved here, the family was just standing back and allowing it to happen. His father had started his son's drinking when he was approximately 11, and there was no return. His mother was also an active user and alcoholic while pregnant.

All support goes to you!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

OOO Winnie,

You are so right, I have been there done that. Most of the parents and kids in them groups are there for the first time kids caught with weed and don't have a clue what they are in for if their child decides to stay the course.
PLEASE don't you dare feel bad for standing up for how you feel. I for one am very proud of you! I know how hard this is on you. I have been thinking about you and praying it will get easier for you. (((Hugs))) Julie
Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sending hugs Winnie - I know that feeling as well and kids your son's age tend not to like parent's to do anything that makes them stand out - just comes with the territory. As for me, I love passion and you expressed your views with passion - so understandable.
I sure hope when things settle down that you will have a chance to pick up a few meetings. I found the so called "real" world didn't get it at all, but I could say what I felt within the rooms of Naranon and never feel judged.....just total support. What could be better than the SR family in person? Hugs
Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

There are good counselors and bad, good groups and bad, and good moms and some not quite as good....and Winnie, you are tops in my books so hold your head high, trust your mom instinct and do what is right for you.

Originally Posted by winnie
I'm tired of being strong and i'm tired of not having another parent to help me through this.
Have you tried live meetings, Winnie? Alanon, Naranon or CoDA are 3 similar programs where you will meet lots of parents just like you and I promise you it will be the best gift you ever gave yourself.

Sending mom-to-mom hugs, as Cats says, being a mom isn't for weenies.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Winnie.... I hear you! Although it's my children's Dad who is the A in my life... my kids and I have been struggling with each other BIG time through all this. They are in such denial that my touching anything that looks like reality sends us into a huge battle! I too believe that as Moms we have a job to do. We don't have to be dictators or mean about it, but sometimes we DO have to be firm and we ain't always our kid's best friend.... well, we probably are, but they don't see it that way!

Sound like you are trying to take good care of you and that you are being a great Mother! Good for you. Guilty is such "yucky" feeling... don't stay there... you said what you felt, with honesty and love... too bad others may not have liked it or wanted to hear it.

Mom hugs to you. Thank you for sharing this. It helped me sooo much!