Not just our kids or mates

Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not just our kids or mates

I first want to thank SR.

Faced with the situation with a friend of mine, without the help here, I'd be knee deep in codie-ville

That's the thing. It's not just our spouses, mates, or children, it leaks out to our friendships.

Most of us know this, and for those who don't, take a look. We can be a friend, we can be a mentor, but when it comes down to it, when we're in uncharted territory, or stagnant terrritory, we have to accept what is and not what we "see" for someone else, no matter who it is.

We can show by example. We can walk the walk, and talk the talk. Those who are ready to see the message will, those who aren't are going to keep making excuses, finding reasons, etc. All of which, without SR, would probably be making me crazy, but instead, I can step aside and let the chips fall where they may. I can offer love, friendship, and support but I cannot force the answer.

It's always easier to see the answer for someone else, isn't it? But, we can't do anything with that answer. We have to focus on ourselves. We have to be the guiding light. We have to show others that happiness and healthiness is within anyone and everyone's reach.

Thank you! As always
Old 01-10-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I too have found the lessons I learn here and at meetings have carried over to all aspects of my life. It has been 2 1/2 years since i have had active addiction in my life, but the program of recovery to me is about so much more. This is a journey of self growth and staying in contact with others in recovery helps me to move forward instead of sliding back.
I've found the tools I acquired work everywhere. It was particularly helpful for me to let go of trying to control situations and outcomes with friends and with coworkers. I had a tendency to take on so much extra work because I could then control it and make it "right." Just as I learned that I denied my kids the chance to grow and learn from their failures and successes when I got overly involved, I learned I was doing the same with staff. How liberating!

Thanks Phoenix!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It works that way with me too. That's the beauty of this program, I think, it is about me finding a new way of living, of thinking, of being...and it flows into all areas of my life. Today I am more selective of my friendships and work relationships and only involve myself in the ones who offer me as much as I offer it. Today my relationships are healthy.

Step 12 tells us...
Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs
When I practice these principals in all areas of my life, the world becomes a better place for me.

Hugs