Regular drug testing for AH?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Regular drug testing for AH?

My AH (separated now over a week)...you may all recall. he's clean right now.
He wants to see the children and be involved as much as possible.
He has seen them twice. He did a drug test (that I gave him), he passed.
I would like him to do drug tests regularly to visit with the kids (for their safety). I have learned not to just take his word sadly.
Has anyone done this? He says he wont mind, whatever it takes to visit the kids. Is it expensive? (canada) Reliable?
And how often do you do it so that you know he didn';tjust stop for a day or something (I guess they can't really do that ?).
Anyone with any experience would be SOOOOo appreciated!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did some drug testing of my son. It depends on the DOC on how often to test. My son's DOC was Oxycontin and stayed in his system up to 4 days. I purchased my tests online. If you buy in quantity, they are much less expensive.

For Oxy, I got a 12 panel urine test. The 5 or 6 panel ones did not test for the Oxycodone family. The 12 panel test will pretty much tell you if he has done any drugs at all. The tests I got were very reliable. PM poster if you want more info
Good luck!

Last edited by greeteachday; 01-08-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Removed link to commercial website. Prohibited by SR rules
Old 01-08-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As a RA, if I want to get around a drug test, I would have. I was tested on a weekly basis when I started rehab, and for Division of Family Services. I was still high and testing negative. Even the hair folicals. Im not trying to shoot you down, Im only saying that sadly if an addict wants around something we will find a way. I just giving you a honest opinion from a addicts point of view. Actually its kinda scary how quick those thoughts still come to mind after 3 years clean. But the only guarenttee I can give you is that he will slip up and show positive. The key to drug testing is the random part. If he knows he's gonna be tested on a certain day or time, he will clean up or buy the things to make you show positive. The key is blind siding an addict when they least expect it. Such as if he is to see the kids on a weekly basis then dont test him for a month or so and then the day after his visit with the kids slam him with the test on the spot. You see if he has seen the kids then he thinks its ok to get high or whatever. Whatever you do dont give him a day to go find something to clean his system. Tell him its right now! Wow, this brings back so many memories. Things that Im not proud of to say but if they help you keep your kids and you safe..... its worth it.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What Gwen is saying is true. My AS would pass the drug test at the outpatient rehab, but not at home. That is because for his DOC you needed a more sensitive test. We gave him a test every 2 days. It kept him from doing drugs at the most 2 weeks, and then he would test positive. He is no longer in our home.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So how do I know than?
Do I check his arms? Pupils? He was using IV heroin.
He quit for 6 -7 years. Can he go 6-7 years again?
Will he switch to pills? what type of test should I use?
(PS I SOOOOOOOOO did a random test! he thought he was going to
meet the kids outside for 5 min.....I made him come in and pee in the cup....hee hee)
he didnt see it coming!
I'm still concerned as the lines were there BUT faint....but it's still under 10 days since he quit.
AHGGGGG I wish he had a little display on his forhead that said "today I'm using/today I'm clean".....wouldnt that be nice.!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

get a urine that tests for OXYCODONE not opiates. you were speaking on another thread about how his test came up with a very faint test line but a very strong control line no? You also said that the test you had was for OPIATES.

Let me explain a bit, i am also a former IV heroin user. My parents used to give me opiate 1 panel urine tests as well. the problem with these tests (my parents had no idea and im sure you dont as well) is that it only tests for codiene and morphine. Those are the 2 chemicals that heroin breaks down to into the body. I found out (through trial and error) I could continually take oxycontin or roxicet or any legal pain pill (which has the same effect as herion although it is not as potent) and pass the opiate drug screenings because it was not testing for the chemical oxycodone. It only was looking for codiene or morphine.

I am not saying that your husband is using but i remember my mother used to complain about those "faint" lines and I would only get a faint test line when I was using oxycontin. If you are going to continue randomly testing him go with the 1 panel OXYCODONE panel tests instead of the OPIATE 1 panel test. The OXYCODONE panel will be able to pick up if he is using any type of oxycodone(oxycontin, percocet, roxicet) OR heroin. While the opiate panel test will only pick up if he is using heroin. It costs a bit more (the oxycodone panel test) but it is definitely worth it as you will know for sure if he is using or not.

I know this was a bit off topic with what you posted on this thread but I couldnt find the original thread.

If you have any questions about anything feel free to PM me. sadly, i have a wealth of information when it comes to heroin use / abuse/ tricks to beat drug tests, signs of using etc etc.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So does that mean he might be able to use oxycodone and pass the tests!
AGHHHHHhh!
So if I do the 1 panel oxycodone test will that for sure pick up heroin?. How often should I test (randomly)

So what did the faint lines mean?
It showed that he had methedone in his system (that I know about)
Can you take Oxycodone AND methedone?
I wish he could be so skilled at other things in life that he put into his cover ups!
I still dont get how great heroin can be to lose everything.....
Old 01-09-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The tests I had would not have a line if they tested positive. If there was even a faint line, the test was negative (as in not using). I took a test myself and some of the lines came in quite faint, but all lines were there. So I took that to mean if there was some sort of line, then all was okay.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I completely understand why you feel the need to test him - because you dont want your kids being around him high. But I just dont think that any test is 100% failproof and addicts learn how to get around them. Do what you think you need to do but now that you know he's an addict i would say the best test is his actions.

You cant completely control this situation and i'm just afraid that you are going to drive yourself crazy tyring to. There is no control of addiction or addicts and some of your questions arent going to have answers that are going to satisfy you're natural sense of protection over your children. If your fear is solely for the safety of your kids (and that is warranted) then it may be best to just have supervised visits to make sure they are safe and he isnt using around them. Besides that there is nothing you are going to do to be 100% sure that he isnt using and there is nothing that you can do to make him stop using. I think that we all here have gone through this stage but i've yet to hear one person that successfully controlled the situation. Drug test or not drug test, supervised visits or unsupervised visits - these are all are your choice but dont think this is going to make any difference at all in whether or not he uses. That is up to him.

There is one other thing to keep in mind. Right now he is scared and complying but if he starts using again the drug tests are going to be a problem and confrontation during those times could be very intense. This is a pandora's box.

How about this suggestion that may ease your mind - not sure the ages of your kids but if your oldest can make a phone call then give that child a cell phone. Tell them if they ever have a problem or need you to just give you a call. you dont have to explain details just let them know you love them and want them to always be able to talk to you when they want to. Then you can also call and speak to one of your kids if there's a problem. My parents got my daughter one - they didnt really go into detail but i know that's why they did it - just so she would have a way to call me or someone else if there was ever a problem.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What's his plan for recovery?

If I recall he is in a Methadone Maintenance Program. I have no idea how such programs are administered in Canada. If this is the case, it reduces or eliminates the physical cravings for heroin.

I am also aware that there are heroin maintance programs in Canada as there are in some European countries.

Of course, his diabetes complicates the situation.

Is he planning on going to rehab? Is he working some kind of program? Has he gained employment or volunteer work within the community or is he back home, living with mom and dad, on the couch and talking the talk? In otherwords, what's his lifestyle like and what's he actually doing to help himself ?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

While the opiate panel test will only pick up if he is using heroin.
Ex D-Boy, (I'm sorry to threadjack here) but I have a question for you.

If one tests positive for opiates through a lab test, does that mean heroine has been used?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well so far he seems Very different from the man I've been living with for the last 4 months.
He looks 100% different, clean, shaven, he got a haircut, he gained 5 lbs already, I can honestly say It's weird to see him so 'normal'....it makes me kinda mad.
The last 2 weeks of him using (before I found out and kicked him out) he DIDN'T SHOWER!
He actually had to come over today and pick up his suit as he has an interview. (actually a REALLY good job too)
He is so excited to be hopefully working soon. He says being unemployed is the WORST thing for him. He has given me money to get groceries and whatever I need for the kids etc....(not alot but enough....hell he was taking all our money for heroin and we got by!)
(I realise now I can live well on very little!)
He is on the methedone (last I asked was 35 ) I didnt ask if he's gone up yet.
he is still scheduled to detox (This apt was booked before he did the methedone) so I guess that needs to be cancelled).
I'm not sure how it all works with his Dr. and the methdone and the treatment plan, I'm staying out of it as much as possible....it seems to be the idea on SR.
He has begged the DR. to advance him to see a therapist, he is on his own till he gets an apt. (this is the way with the free public system here in canada...long waits)
I guess I wont know for sure if he is using.....even with the testing.
But i must say I'M NOT AS FREAKED OUT AS BEFORE, He wants to do his best to support me (till I find work/childcare and can get on my feet on my own)and support the kids.
I hope he can. At least I'm not getting resistance.
He is still going to agree with whatever I need to do for me and the kids and accepts that his vistations are at my 'mercy' right now.
I'm not stupid, I know he may/will relapse. But at least for now, in the clairty, he is focused on keeping his kids ok.