Help MyJoey 17 years olds

Old 01-25-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
The hardest part about this is that no matter what you do or not, you cannot keep him clean. That's his job to do, or not.
I know this is true, but since he is 17 and I still have to live with him. When he is clean he is so easy to get along with and it is so hard to watch him stoned, but believe me he still finds a way to smoke weed or do something.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Fawkez88

I am a 22 years old former weed addict. I luckily didn't get caught up in the harsher drugs but i want you to hear my story.
Hitting rock bottom is what got me to change.e I wouldn't accept the addiction. I wouldn't think it was and i could quit when ever i want. I was wrong. I am a canadian. I got deported out of the USA for possesion. Lost my football scholarship. Lost my father when i was 17. I grew up in a perfect home. Best parents anyone could ask for. But the people i was around got me into drugs. One key thing i saw ment alot to me. When i told my mother i got deported she was mad no more than 5 seconds, and then went straight supportive as she knew i realized my mistake. One of a kind that women is.
I got back in and continued my football career. But didn't quit the drug. Almost did because I lost everything but i got it back so i abused again. It destroyed my relationship with my gf. I was stoned all the time me and my mother became distant. I missed a football practise because i slept through my alarm i was so high the night before. Went to my locker the next day, and it was empty. I got kicked off the team. Begged ta get back on and luckily i did. I was on a zero term policy. One mistake, it's over, no matter what. I lost everything around me. My family. My gurl. My career. I had no other choice but to quit. Because I HIT THE BOTTUM. IF i didnt, i would lose everything. It's sad how it's takes you that close to realize what you got.

1) Try to make him aware that the people around him wouldnt be his friend if it wasnt for the drugs. Tell him to test it. My friends dont need me now i dont smoke, not all of them, but the ones that shouldnt matter. It a good test to realize things for himself since he needs to realize this and want to quit himself.
2) Try to help him realize rock bottum even if you have to cut him off. Use your lvoe to help him as much as you can but if it doesnt work, maybe the lack of love and making him realize he hass nothing iwth these drugs, but without them, he'd have everything

I now have had a tryout with the Calgary Stampeders and have 7 teams in the CFL looking at me. My dreams are coming true. It wasn't too late for me.
Hope I can help and bless your heart. More kids need mothers like mine and yourself. Never give up on him.

Much Love

:praying
Old 01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Hey MyJoey. I'm 17 years old too, I'm addicted to speed/LSD and I've done pot before. I read your very first post and I just wanted to say, no matter what you take away from him, or how you limit his driving, money, etc etc, we will ALWAYS find the drugs and we will obtain them. High school is a nasty place to recover from drugs because they're everywhere and if you have a friend who's holding, hell, sometimes you'll get 'em for free. I'm not saying this to destroy your hope in having him change, that is always possible, I just want to tell you that you shouldn't place any blame on yourself if he finds a way to use. Drugs have broken my family apart. My dad's an addict, and my mom figured out I was an addict too so her and my sister left us.

Bottom line, just be supportive of him. Let him know you're there. Don't expect him to change just for you or the family because it doesn't always work that way. Just keep in mind that there's always a chance for him to change now and he may do it, I'm trying to do it and I'm 17 too. If you ever want a "kid's" perspective on it, you can pm me if you'd like.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fawkez88 View Post
I am a 22 years old former weed addict. I luckily didn't get caught up in the harsher drugs but i want you to hear my story.
Hitting rock bottom is what got me to change.e I wouldn't accept the addiction. I wouldn't think it was and i could quit when ever i want. I was wrong. I am a canadian. I got deported out of the USA for possesion. Lost my football scholarship. Lost my father when i was 17. I grew up in a perfect home. Best parents anyone could ask for. But the people i was around got me into drugs. One key thing i saw ment alot to me. When i told my mother i got deported she was mad no more than 5 seconds, and then went straight supportive as she knew i realized my mistake. One of a kind that women is.
I got back in and continued my football career. But didn't quit the drug. Almost did because I lost everything but i got it back so i abused again. It destroyed my relationship with my gf. I was stoned all the time me and my mother became distant. I missed a football practise because i slept through my alarm i was so high the night before. Went to my locker the next day, and it was empty. I got kicked off the team. Begged ta get back on and luckily i did. I was on a zero term policy. One mistake, it's over, no matter what. I lost everything around me. My family. My gurl. My career. I had no other choice but to quit. Because I HIT THE BOTTUM. IF i didnt, i would lose everything. It's sad how it's takes you that close to realize what you got.

1) Try to make him aware that the people around him wouldnt be his friend if it wasnt for the drugs. Tell him to test it. My friends dont need me now i dont smoke, not all of them, but the ones that shouldnt matter. It a good test to realize things for himself since he needs to realize this and want to quit himself.
2) Try to help him realize rock bottum even if you have to cut him off. Use your lvoe to help him as much as you can but if it doesnt work, maybe the lack of love and making him realize he hass nothing iwth these drugs, but without them, he'd have everything

I now have had a tryout with the Calgary Stampeders and have 7 teams in the CFL looking at me. My dreams are coming true. It wasn't too late for me.
Hope I can help and bless your heart. More kids need mothers like mine and yourself. Never give up on him.

Much Love

:praying
I am so proud of you and I don't even know you! That is so wonderful you made the changes and your dreams are coming true, OOO I have them dreams for my son, lately that is all they are dreams. He is doing more then just weed and I really have tried talking to him about the friends. All his old football friends don't hang with him anymore, because he's so far out there most of the time. I have no regrets, and he knows he is the light of my life, this is killing me inside, there is nothing I would not do for him and he also knows he has it made if he stays clean. See he has a VERY large amount of money (from his grandparents) coming his way, but he knows he will never see it if he is using, he has money to go on after high school (college) or trade school but he has no plans, that don't matter to him..............honestly nothing matters to him, just drugs. I am so hopeful that one day he will wake up like you did and see there is more to life then drugs. I wish you the very best! I love footfall! I was so hoping the Eagles would make the superbowl...........ok don't hit me if your not a fan. LOL
Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Call the police. Have him held or lectured, whatever will be done. Try to make him understand what crime is. I have to tolerate a sister and a cousin who went to a party of drugs and alcohol where a crazed man murdered his girlfriend and then ordered the house to be set on fire. Three people died. My sister and cousin consider it "the good old days." Do you see what happens to their minds? Keep trying to save him while you can. All my best to you.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Originally Posted by MyJoey View Post
honestly nothing matters to him, just drugs.
I don't know if anyone else is like this as an addict, but to me, more matters than just drugs. I had my first blunt when I was 14, speed when I was 15, and LSD when I was 16 and now I'm a total addict at 17. When I was using a ton in 15-17 obviously the getting the drugs mattered, but what also mattered was how am I gonna hide this? Another thing that mattered to me was my own feeling of self-worth. I hated myself, and I bet he doesn't like himself right now either. Back when I was 15, I used I felt like it was great, everything was awesome and I was just gonna float through life with no problems. Then I hit 16 and I started feeling lousy after everytime I used. Then I hit 17 and got stabbed when my friend and I got screwed up on LSD and he had a bad trip and thought I was coming after him. That was my bottom, I think. Right now, I bet he's feeling pretty damn lousy because he knows it hurts you and he hates how he's pawning off your jewelry just for the high because he's gotta have it. True, we always choose to use, but it's definitley not the only thing on our minds that matters too us.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpeedyJason View Post
Hey MyJoey. I'm 17 years old too, I'm addicted to speed/LSD and I've done pot before. I read your very first post and I just wanted to say, no matter what you take away from him, or how you limit his driving, money, etc etc, we will ALWAYS find the drugs and we will obtain them. High school is a nasty place to recover from drugs because they're everywhere and if you have a friend who's holding, hell, sometimes you'll get 'em for free. I'm not saying this to destroy your hope in having him change, that is always possible, I just want to tell you that you shouldn't place any blame on yourself if he finds a way to use. Drugs have broken my family apart. My dad's an addict, and my mom figured out I was an addict too so her and my sister left us.

Bottom line, just be supportive of him. Let him know you're there. Don't expect him to change just for you or the family because it doesn't always work that way. Just keep in mind that there's always a chance for him to change now and he may do it, I'm trying to do it and I'm 17 too. If you ever want a "kid's" perspective on it, you can pm me if you'd like.
Jason,
Thank you, it was really nice to hear is from someone my sons age. I know he will not change till he is ready and honestly I don't blame myself at all.....I blame him, he made this choice not me. He likes the LSD also, along with many other drugs some I have never heard of. The speed is a hard one to kick, it will leave you depressed for a long period of time afterwards. You would be wise to wean yourself off it and stay away, because after you are on it for a long time, you will not know how to live without. I am sorry your mother and sister left, I hope you understand it is a very hard thing to watch someone doing drugs. I see it more as them leaving the drugs, not you. My son is not himself anymore.........REALLY he has changed so much. Everything I said in my first post is so true. I just wish you young people would give life a chance before starting the drugs, see these are the best years you have to really make something of yourself, these years will define who you become later and there is so much more out there.....OK I will stop being mom now. LOL I hope you keep trying, I know it will be hard for you, but YOU are so worth it.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Dear MyJoey,
As a widow of a man who started smoking pot when he was a pre-teen, I implore you to stay the course and be firm. You have found a very loving, very honest place here on SR.
Strength and resolve to you,
Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Jason,
Right now for my son, I really don't think he cares about anything....well right now he maybe worried about the police. He don't hate pawning off my jewelry nearly as much as I do, maybe I could pawn off his drugs and call it even (sorry being a smarta$$, I am really mad at him). He don't put much effort into hiding his drugs, I find them all the time along with pipes, scales, pills. I have even walked in on him while he is smoking and he don't even try to hide it or stop.....so I kind of think he don't care. He cares when I keep the car, phone and money away from him and he lets me know it. He was doing that DXM (I think it is) when he could not get any other drugs........WOW did that ever screw him up he looked and acted crazy, they even pulled him out of class one day he was so messed up. If he cares about anything other then himself he sure don't show it.....sometimes I think he has ice running in him. He thinks when he turns 18 he is out of here, which he is if he is still using, but he has no plans and spends every dime he makes he tells me he is going to sell drugs for a living (I know I should be so proud. LOL), this is what he cares about. He has started working out again, like he did when he was in football, lifting and running.....maybe he is building the self worth again, hard to tell with him.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeroinWidow View Post
Dear MyJoey,
As a widow of a man who started smoking pot when he was a pre-teen, I implore you to stay the course and be firm. You have found a very loving, very honest place here on SR.
Strength and resolve to you,
Thank you, I was reading your story the other night......my heartaches for you. HUGS
Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Fawkez88

Thank you for your words. Best of luck to your son and I will keep here to watch the progress.
If the only thing is the drugs that matter to him, maybe another intervention is in process. I never got to that stage luckily. I'm so worried also I hate seeing potiential destroyed as he has so much.
So glad he started working out again, he is young. He does need to learn from his own experiances as I did to a certain extent. Follow him along this path, show him utter encouragement as he does positive things. Every thing thats positive he does show how proud you are and how good it is he is doing so. The ends in his brain will hopefully start clicking as that positive reenforcement will dig in and in to his mind. Lvoe is powerful. Let it do its work.

Much love
Old 01-25-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Fawkez88

Another thing. I beleive in energys Positive and negitive. It seems he has so much negitive energy in his body that positive can't get in. The gym is a great way to get out negitive energy and you imputing positive to replace it will help. Then more negitive will elave and fill it up again will more positive enrgy. Flip it around on him. Wish i was there to help and give my story to him.

Much love
Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Fawkwz88, Thank you!
He would be the first to tell you, how much the drugs mean to him.........sad huh. It is so hard to watch. The only way he would get help is if he is forced (Rehab) by the courts and even then (for now) I don't think it would work. Hard to say but I think my son is really going to have to learn the hardest of hard way, and I pray his fall don't kill him. I have had more then one person tell me wow, he just don't get it, your right something in his brain is not connecting for him. How proud your mother must be of you and how much heartache you have saved her and I am sure your father looks down with a smile for you. Thank you for the support.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

MyJoey.
first i would protect myself - lock up all valuables in a safety deposit box or somewhere he cant get into. I thought about getting a safe for my room but opted to just putting a key lock on my door - i wear the key around my neck at all times.

Secondly, i would def turn him in. You have provided this child with a home, food, clothing and he in turn has decided that what you gave was not enough - that you also were responsible for providing him the means to support his own habit. He crossed the line and you have to let him know or he will continue to do this with you and others in his life. There are so many reasons that you have to enforce a serious consequence:
1. it is wrong to do this to your parents and he must learn now that it wont be tolerated.
2. if he steals from you he will steal from others - that will land him in prison so better to learn the lesson now. our state treats a 17 yo like an adult but yours may be different (sometimes even here the judge has the choice) - youth detention is easier than adult jail and might wake him up.
3. allowing him to get away with this is enabling - if you dont enforce a consequence you may as well just give him the money to buy his drugs so that your valuables are safe.
4. Getting my son into the court system opened up so many opportunites for treatment. They took on the policing role that I had been trying to do - this let me be mom again. It wasnt about me trying to force him to quit anymore - it was the court doing it. This helped me to regain my sanity and control in my own home. If he screwed up - I told his PO and they dealt with it.

It is not easy to have your child locked up. Be sure to build a case before going to the police - you cant just say that you "think" he did it. if you find something in his room have the police come to your home so that they can document the proof. If he is blatantly stealing then it probably wont be too hard to find proof (addict teens arent the smartest criminals) - you may want to talk to the police privately first to find out what you should do and let them know what you are dealing with. I did have to work with the police a few times before they finally arrested him - they had to know that it was real. I did also talk to the juvenile court beforehand. I went to their office and told them what was going on - this helped a great deal. In my state they cant just arrest a juvenille - they have to present the case (on the phone) to the juv court and then let them decide. Since i had already presented my case they were familiar with it and pushed it through.

One way or another report everything that has been stolen immediatley. My son told me the other day that he does not know if he would alive if I hadnt had him arrested that first time because he was using so heavy and was into such dangerous drugs. It was said very off-handed but meant the world to me.

This is going to be hard no matter what you do - right now your child has a sense of entitlement that he can do as he pleases and your family is just a means to an end for him. You have to stop this immediately - for his own good and for your own good. He is going to be furious with you - he is going to hate you - that's okay if he does - I promise it wont last forever. My son hated me with a passion when i first had him arrested but now he has respect for me - he may not understand yet why i did these things but he doesnt cross that line anymore. Its time for tough love for your son and for yourself. This is ALL done in love - it is not done to merely punish him. Love him enough to let him learn these basic life lessons.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

sorry i'm so longwinded but i do want to remind you that statistics show that whether its forced rehab or voluntary that chances of recovery are the same. I am starting to believe this because my son is much better than he was a year ago and he fought it all tooth and nail. I would actually guess that with teens it may be moreso because sometimes kids do have to be forced to learn consequences. Even him knowing that his PO would be randomly drug testing him helped a great deal. It didnt stop him completely but it did slow him down.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

My daughter also stole all my jewelry , including my wedding ring. Like you, I went to a message board ( not this one) for advice.

I'll never forget one of the responses I received.....

" That someone steals/pawns jewelry usually means the drug usage has progressed to crack or an opiate. If there are no consequences to her crimes, she will continue to steal from you and others. The next window she crawls through might have someone in the house who will put a bullet through her head".

I dismissed the post because I knew my daughter was not using crack and/or an opiate ( pills or heroin). I was mistaken, very, very mistaken.

The reality is, stealing is a crime and crime has consequences. Better a parent take legal action than someone with a gun, down the road.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winnie12 View Post
sorry i'm so longwinded but i do want to remind you that statistics show that whether its forced rehab or voluntary that chances of recovery are the same. I am starting to believe this because my son is much better than he was a year ago and he fought it all tooth and nail. I would actually guess that with teens it may be moreso because sometimes kids do have to be forced to learn consequences. Even him knowing that his PO would be randomly drug testing him helped a great deal. It didnt stop him completely but it did slow him down.
Winnie, OOO I have been waiting for you. You have helped me more then you will ever know. Thank you!!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

outtolunch,

You are so right and I know it, still not easy. Is it you that said this is not for wimps? I feel like a wimp. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyJoey View Post
outtolunch,

You are so right and I know it, still not easy. Is it you that said this is not for wimps? I feel like a wimp. Thank you.
You're not a wimp. We all started out in this thing lost and confused and hurting.

I made so many mistakes with my oldest AD, and I beat myself up for a long time because I had been in recovery from my own alcoholism/addictions for years, yet I enabled the crap out of her.

You've reached out for help, and are listening to people who have been where you are at.

That is a good thing, my dear! :ghug :ghug
Old 01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
You're not a wimp. We all started out in this thing lost and confused and hurting.

I made so many mistakes with my oldest AD, and I beat myself up for a long time because I had been in recovery from my own alcoholism/addictions for years, yet I enabled the crap out of her.

You've reached out for help, and are listening to people who have been where you are at.

That is a good thing, my dear! :ghug :ghug
Thank you. I just wish it felt like a good thing. Thank goodness you didn't return to drugs, dealing with this could make someone start.