OT: Marriage proposal

Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Marriage proposal

My RAD received a seriously botched marriage proposal on NYE. After a cryptic message yesterday, she finally told us about it today and is still fuming. He handed her a ring, but then couldn't get the words out of his mouth without her prying them out. She said he's so codependent he needed her help with the proposal. She said every woman dreams about that moment and it really made her mad to have to do it herself.

She said no

I am so proud of her. She knows neither one of them is ready. That he couldn't get the words out told her he isn't anywhere near being ready. She doesn't know if his love for her is stronger than his fear of being alone. She doesn't know if she wants to be with one person right now, let alone the rest of her life. I told her being true to herself was the BEST way to start the new year.

I asked her if it was worse than the movie The Bachelor and she yelled yes, then laughed. Oh dear God I've always loved this daughter of mine and now I'm actually liking her again
Old 01-02-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

wow, what girl you have, Chino....lol
how wonderful for you both after all you have been through to be able to laugh and play in this way...and kudos to her recovery.. and yours
does my heart good to see, thankyou
Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm proud of her too and forgive me for squirming in my seat before I knew she said "no".

When the time is right, she'll know, hands down.

Hugs
Old 01-02-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh, Chino....what a wonderful, strong, courageous thing your daughter did. She really stayed true to herself!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank God that sometimes they choose the sane, recovering thing to do. If she had decided to marry this dud, it wouldn't be the first time a woman in recovery married the wrong guy for the wrong reasons at the wrong time. But that fact that she was able to learn something from the experience and choose the more mature option really speaks well for her ability to have a 'normal' life.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Chino)))

Good for her!!!

When I first started reading this, I thought "where the heck did HE come from?" as we haven't heard about any special man in her life. Obviously it's because he's not "the one"

Though my mom never lived to see me struggle with my addiction (thank God), you and your daughter remind me of me and my mom. We could butt heads in a heartbeat, but she was my best friend and I'm sure your daughter feels the same way about you. I love the way your relationship with her is evolving.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-02-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OK speaking as a male...spare a thought for the poor guy! I hope he wasn't too crushed. At least he didn't propose on the jumbotron at the football game!
I've never proposed to someone...but wow, I hope I do better than he did haha.