Language of Letting Go -Jan. 1 - The New Year

Old 01-01-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go -Jan. 1 - The New Year

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

The New Year

Make New Year's goals. Dig within, and discover what you would like to have happen in your life this year. This helps you do your part. It is an affirmation that you're interested in fully living life in the year to come.

Goals give us direction. They put a powerful force into play on a universal, conscious, and subconscious level.

Goals give our life direction.

What would you like to have happen in your life this year? What would you like to do, to accomplish? What good would you like to attract into your life? What particular areas of growth would you like to have happen to you? What blocks, or character defects, would you like to have removed?

What would you like to attain? Little things and big things? Where would you like to go? What would you like to have happen in friendship and love? What would you like to have happen in your family life?

Remember, we aren't controlling others with our goals - we are trying to give direction to our life.

What problems would you like to see solved? What decisions would you like to make? What would you like to happen in your career?

What would you like to see happen inside and around you?

Write it down. Take a piece of paper, a few hours of your time, and write it all down - as an affirmation of you, your life, and your ability to choose. Then let it go.

Certainly, things happen that are out of our control. Sometimes, these events are pleasant surprises; sometimes, they are of another nature. But they are all part of the chapter that will be this year in our life and will lead us forward in the story.

The New Year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.

Today, I will remember that there is a powerful force motivated by writing down goals. I will do that now, for the year to come, and regularly as needed. I will do it not to control but to do my part in living my life.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The New Year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.
I love each New Year, much as I used to like the start of school in Sept. with new notebooks yet unwritten and knowing that through the year I will gain knowledge.

I am going to take time today to write some goals for this year and then put them where I can see them and be reminded if I get off track. Yes, I have the standard New Year resolution to lose a few pounds...but my goals will be just for me, something good.

Here's one...I will enroll in a photography course and learn more so I can take my hobby to a higher level and take more day trips to shoot (with my camera, lol) the beauty of nature.

See? That was easy and sets me on a path that makes me happy.

Happy New Year, dear friends, may your path be happy this year also.

Hugd
Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love to begin a New Year too. I will have to think about what to write down on my list today...but I already have wrote down that I want to follow my heart, and be true to myself..Thanks Ann
Old 01-01-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i have alot to do this year..
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love that idea!! ....like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written, and it is my book to write!

One goal we should all have is to be good to ourselves, love ourselves. Since joining SR in March and alanon a bit after, I have had one main goal -- to take better care of myself...to treat myself as good as I treat others, give myself the same considerations and forgiveness I so willingly give to others.

Seems to be working, so I think I'll stick with it! Next on my list: kayaking. I used to kayak but haven't been for a very long time. I'm going tomorrow! Also, when I can afford it, I want to buy a bike and explore this area even more. Outdoors, sunshine, fresh air......ahhh, can't wait!!

Thanks Ann!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh add kayaking to my list too. Ever since I kayaked up at Mooselip's cottage, I have had a yen to get my own and do this often.

When I think back to all the things I did without, including time, because I was hip deep in my codependency, it makes me feel just find to do a few nice things for myself just because I deserve it.

Hugs
Old 01-02-2024, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Loving myself

This year I would like to put my mental health, peacefulness and relationship with God as a top priority. Once per week, instead of focusing only in the endless to do list, take one day to relax, enjoy myself and do something I like to do for fun. A bubble bath, read a book, go to the beach , meditate and do some writing.

this year I would love to write a book and get published too!
Old 01-03-2024, 11:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree Sunnylove. We tend to not make time for ourselves and we really should. We need that time out.
Most definitely, I will be back to my skeet shooting every fortnight, a meet up with a group of friends for lunch once a month, continue with my yoga and crochet.
Taking care of ourselves is so important, so lets not put it on the back burner.
Best of luck with your writing 😊
Much Love
Bute x
Old 01-04-2024, 12:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I am pleased to see this thread came up tonight. We are coming up on the second anniversary of our dear Ann's passing (1/14/22). She was such a HUGE part of SR for so many years, and she was deeply loved by so many of us. Thank you Ann, for your loving guidance and friendship to so many of us over the years. You will always be with us in our hearts. You are truly loved and missed.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunnylove View Post
This year I would like to put my mental health, peacefulness and relationship with God as a top priority. Once per week, instead of focusing only in the endless to do list, take one day to relax, enjoy myself and do something I like to do for fun. A bubble bath, read a book, go to the beach , meditate and do some writing.

this year I would love to write a book and get published too!
Hi Sunny, lovely to see your post on here. You inadvertently posted on a thread of a member who has since passed. I want to think her spirit prompted you to post. There is a lovely synchronicity that your first post renews an old thread.

May peace, health and a deepening relationship with God be yours this 2024
Old 01-07-2024, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I am pleased to see this thread came up tonight. We are coming up on the second anniversary of our dear Ann's passing (1/14/22). She was such a HUGE part of SR for so many years, and she was deeply loved by so many of us. Thank you Ann, for your loving guidance and friendship to so many of us over the years. You will always be with us in our hearts. You are truly loved and missed.
Imagine my surprise and delight to see this thread come up. Yes, many thanks, Sunny for bringing the memory of our beloved Ann to us. She was just the most amazing gift.

Happy New Year, dear friends, may your path be happy this year also. ~Ann

Old 01-18-2024, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I needed to see this tonight. Thanks suki, for sharing and thanks to our Ann...how I miss her.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, thanks Suki. She is very dearly missed & thought of so often. No one quite like our Ann.