i need help

Old 12-23-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sober

Question i need help

I'm new here and I have been trying to work the twelve steps Al-Anon and I don't relate to it very well. NA I seem to understand better although I deal with both on a daily basis. I have everything I need for AA , I need books and workbooks for naranon if there are any that can help me get control of my life.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. You will find much support here.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Faith... so glad you found SR. My experience would say... just read, post, talk to others and let it happen. Just coming here, appreciating that you have situation in your life that you want to be different... for you, buying the books..... is HUGE!!!! You are well on your way to recovery and working the steps when you have taken a step to start the journey. It won't all make sense at first, but little by little lightbulbs will go off when you least expect it and you will start to feel like you are moving out of the dark and into the light. Peace and hugs to you.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Welcome Faith...

At first I wanted to go to Naranon instead of alanon because I thought that the people in Naranon would relate to me better because I'm married to an addict.. I now find myself gravitating to Alanon because there are more meetings in my area and there are a whole lot of people in my group that have loved ones who are addicts..

As far as naranon literature goes, there is not a whole lot cause I have searched.. Alanon has a ton of great literature... and honestly the concept is the same... the meetings just have a different name. I think on Naranon's site, they also sell Alanon literature so the two are interchangable

I have also been to many open NA and AA meetings and again, I can't really tell much of a difference between the two.. the whole purpose is to get and stay sober... It's not the name of the group that gets you sober but the program itself..

I hope this helps...

In the meantime... Read here and post here... SR has honestly been my biggest tool in my own recovery.. it's like this one big alanon/naranon meeting 24/7... You can't get much better then that.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Welcome Hope...
I'm soooo glad you found us. 2 years ago when I discovered my daughter was an addict, I was in an area that had few meetings. This forum saved my life.
There are angels on this site...and they never sleep....so welcome to SR

Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Welcome to our SR Family,

Please keep reaching out, reading, posting and allowing the healing of recovery to work thru this site to you. It has been a blessing to me and has helped my recovery tremendously.

I love the book "How Al-Anon works for Family & Friends of Alcoholics". This book has helped me deal with alcoholics & addicts in my family. It helps me take care of ME, regardless of their actions.

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita