life not making it easy on recovering sister

Old 12-17-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

life not making it easy on recovering sister

My sister is in very early days of her latest attempt at rehab from oxys..maybe 5 weeks or so in an outpatient program where luckily she gets counselling as well as methadone.
Its baby steps out of the pit she's dug herself of using, owing so much money to so many shady people, lost friends and all the guilt from her behaviour during all that time. I go with her to each session with the doctor (mostly just sit in the waiting room) so despite all the other chaos in the her life I know she's faithfully making her appointments.
As hard as getting clean in her situation would be for anyone, life sure has thrown her some extra burdens on top of it.
*She is 3 months pregnant with a bf who has had the patience of a saint but is really struggling with untangling years of lies, thefts and the stuff we all know about. The family doesn't know whether to be happy she's expecting or dreading what could happen.
*Our dad is in the later stages of prostate cancer, and despite all the crap she's pulled over the years, even on him, she's still daddy's girl and she doesn't have the emotional tools at all yet to cope with his being ill.
*and tonight our grandmother died. again tough for all of us at Xmas time but one more mental blow I'm not sure she can deal with.
I just hope she can stick with her rehab through this and come out the other side.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about all you and your family dealing with right now. I hope your sister has a good solid recovery and that things work out for the best. Sounds like she's very lucky to have your support right now.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your grandmother's death and your dad's sickness. I'm sure this is really hard on you, too. I'm glad she is in rehab, and I hope that she sticks with it. You obviously care a lot for her.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your dad's illness and your grandmother's death. You are a greath brother.

In all honesty, as a recovering addict, your sister is in the best place to be while these things are going on...she is surrounded by support and receiving counseling. While it IS hard to deal with all this, on top of being confronted with all her consequences at the same time, she is lucky to have all this support.

Please remember to take care of yourself, too. You, too, are going through a lot, and could use a little support of your own...:ghug3

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-18-2008, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sending prayers for your family during this difficult time. My daughter started her drug use after her beloved grandmother died. The last time my daughter saw her grandmother was at Christmas time and she died shortly after that. My daughter still carries guilt about not saying a proper goodbye, but I have told her time and time again that she had no control over what happened to her grandmother. Hope your sister finds the tools to cope. Hugs, Marle
Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brother, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. That's a lot for all of you to deal with, and one day at a time really applies here.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yep, life has a way of getting in our way! Prayers for her continued recovery and coping during this hard time. She is lucky to have your support!
susan
Old 12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all.
Yep, one day at a time is definitely the plan for all of us!
At least the whole extended family will be getting together for the funeral just before Xmas, so will do her good to see everyone. She missed or wasn't included in a lot of family things over the years when the chaos in her life was at its worst.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

OB....your sister is soooo lucky to have you on her side. I hope you have someone to listen to you....You need support at this time tooo. My thoughts and prayers are with your family