SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Language of Letting Go - Dec.16 - Taking Care of Ourselves Emotionally (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/164497-language-letting-go-dec-16-taking-care-ourselves-emotionally.html)

Ann 12-16-2008 02:13 AM

Language of Letting Go - Dec.16 - Taking Care of Ourselves Emotionally

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Taking Care of Ourselves Emotionally

What does it mean to take care of myself emotionally? I recognize when I'm feeling angry, and I accept that feeling without shame or blame.

I recognize when I'm feeling hurt, and I accept those feelings without attempting to punish the source of my pain. I recognize and feel fear when that emotion presents itself.

I allow myself to feel happiness, joy, and love when those emotions are available. Taking care of myself means I've made a decision that it's okay to feel.

Taking care of my emotions means I allow myself to stay with the feeling until it's time to release it and go on to the next one.

I recognize that sometimes my feelings can help point me toward reality, but sometimes my feelings are deceptive. They are important, but I do not have to let them control me. I can feel, and think too.

I talk to people about my feelings when that's appropriate and safe.

I reach out for help or guidance if I get stuck in a particular emotion.

I'm open to the lessons my emotions may be trying to teach me. After I feel, accept, and release the feeling, I ask myself what it is I want or need to do to take care of myself.

Taking care of myself emotionally means I value, treasure, explore, and cherish the emotional part of myself.

Today, I will take care of myself emotionally. I will be open to, and accepting of, the emotional part of myself and other people. I will strive for balance by combining emotions with reason, but I will not allow intellect to push the emotional part of myself away.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.

Ann 12-16-2008 02:18 AM

Taking care of my emotions means I allow myself to stay with the feeling until it's time to release it and go on to the next one.
I was raised in a "stiff upper lip Anglo" home, where emotions were always guarded and rarely shared.

Learning to feel my emotions, to acknowledge them and even share them with others was a new experience for me, and one that felt good. I no longer had to "stuff" what I could deal with today.

I sometimes struggle with sad emotions, not often but sometimes they just sneak up on me and it's okay. My friend Hangin' In always tells me that it's okay to visit those thoughts, just don't hang out there too long and don't go down those one-way streets of despair. As usual, Hangin' is absolutely right.

Today I am grateful to feel my emotions, to be able to share them...the good and the bad. It is part of who I am and I no longer have to wear a mask or pretend to be anything other than me.

Hugs