Language of Letting Go - Dec. 14 - Clear Thinking

Old 12-14-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - Dec. 14 - Clear Thinking

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Clear Thinking

Strive for clear thinking. Many of us have had our thinking clouded by denial. Some of us have even lost faith in ourselves because we've spent a degree of time in denial. But losing faith in our thinking isn't going to help us. What we need to lose faith in is denial.

We didn't resort to denial - either of someone else's problem or our own - because we were deficient. Denial, the shock absorber for the soul, protects us until we are equipped to cope with reality.

Clear thinking and recovery don't mean we will never resort to denial. Denial is the first step toward acceptance, and for most of our life, we will be striving to accept something.

Clear thinking means we don't allow ourselves to become immersed in negativity or unrealistic expectations. We stay connected to other recovering people. We go to our meetings, where peace of mind and realistic support are available. We work the Steps, pray, and meditate.

We keep our thinking on track by asking our Higher Power to help us think clearly - not by expecting Him, or someone else, to do our thinking for us.

Today, I will strive for balanced, clear thought in all areas of my life.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

...We stay connected to other recovering people. We go to our meetings, where peace of mind and realistic support are available. We work the Steps, pray, and meditate.
No matter how I tried, I couldn't begin to think clearly until I went to meetings and began my recovery work. I can't stress enough how important meetings and learning to work the steps have been to my recovery. They saved my life, literally.

Today I shudder when I think of how I used to be, yet I accept with gratitude that how I was brought me to how I am today.

As long as I stay connected to my recovery friends, to my Higher Power who I call God, and to all the positive things in my life today...all is well.

Hugs
Old 12-14-2008, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you as always for sharing that. It an amazing journey as I come out of the darkness. Darkness that for a good long time I didn't even know I was in. Little by little, with much help and support from people here and others, I am moving into the light. I am often shocked that I have taken another step towards health and sanity. BUT... the more steps I take, the more I make myself vulnerable and reach out... the healthier I get... even if it is scarey as I go through the movement.

Lord, I didn't ask for this, but somehow, someway, it is making me a better person. Thanks again, Ann.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann, I am really thankful that I found the SR, because there are no Coda meetings here, there was an alanon meeting a few years ago with just three members including me, but at the time the other members didn't have a child with addiction problems so they couldn't totally understand what I was going through, at least thats how I felt at the time...So I have been dealing with my Son's drinking problem on my own and also dealing with my daughter on going problems...But I have been doing my reading every morning which includes The Language of letting go for almost ten years. And of course I have my higher power which is God for me. Every morning I surrender my live and will over to God...so it is so helpful to see other mom's here going through the same as me and seeing how they deal with it.