husband is an addict

Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

husband is an addict

Hi, I'm new here. My husband has ben addicted to opiates for a number of years. We have 2 young children. He is fed up and so 3 weeks ago went on subutex then suboxone. Also taking antidepressants. Got so much better. He is a great person, but dealing with a lot of demons from his past. Now that his fog has lifted he has an urge to use a different drug-crack. It will tear our family apart. He doesn't know where to turn and neither do I. I want to help, but do not know how. He doesn't want to go to NA. No money for a therapist. Taking it day by day. Know God is with us. God Bless All.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No money for a therapist - wanting to go to NA or not, NA would help him deal with his "demons", which is what is driving him to the opiates (or crack), and it's free. The help is there, NA or something else, and if he really wants it there will be no excuses.

I'm not being harsh, it's just the disease has a way of tricking their minds. They do want what they say, at that moment, but the disease is strong, and he needs help to battle his disease. You do too, you need help for you to know what you can expect, what you will accept and what your boundaries are. It takes work. A lot of work and it's not just a matter of wanting or loving. You will see here - if loving and believing in them could get them clean and better, we wouldn't be here.

Welcome, read around, read the stickies at the top of this forum.

Hugs to you!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep your eyes wide open and watch actions. I didn't understand what you meant about the crack thing??

The pills are nasty- destructive, and extremely addictive, keep reading here- you will get the info you need.

I have learned that if I could love him out of it, I wouldn't be here. I am here because I love him and that love gets me nowhere as far as stopping /helping/ him and the course he decides to take with his addiction.

I used to feel bad, (still do most days) that I cant change it...... that if he loved me and our life, (and we went through alot to be in this relationship) - that it would stop.

I was wrong. I know now, that even if he wasn't useing drugs when we met, (just alcohol) - and he blamed the amount of drinking he was doing on a previous marriage, his unhappiness in it.............that bottom line, he had all the "isims" that addicts have.

It was a matter of time.

Nothing has changed for him, he is still burying his old demons from childhood, his self loathing, his abusive father, all that bottled up pain, low self esteem etc. He covers the wounds with drugs and alcohol.

He left his wife, he a yr later met me, and boy- everything was going to be perfect. But I am not the answer, and I'm sure his wife had the same battles I'm now having with him.
Anyone who engages in a relationship with him, will have the same battles........

He needs to understand, that his unhappiness on a very deep level needs to be delt with. Instead of always looking for the "thing" that makes him feel better......

This will go on and on........... and it does with all addicts. It makes me sad, because I thought we were "different". I thought our love was "stronger"....I am telling you these things because you won't be able to do a DARN THING to help him/make him / get better.

If you only knew what a long road you will be on attempting to cage the animal within him. Sweetie, let the animal out. What will be will be.

Please ask someone on this board to post the "gerbil story". I think Ann posted it.

Talk as much as you need,
Hugs,
Cessy
Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

((((kduker))))

No money for therapy? But he has money to buy crack? but he had money to buy pills? and he had money to buy the suboxone. which isn't cheap?

Sweetie, it sounds like your AH doesn't want to get clean... if he did he would find every resource out there to help him. There are therapist that will work with you if you don't have insurance... and of course there is NA which has been a valuable tool for many on their road to recovery.

I don't know what to tell you to do about him because there is no fixing him... but I can tell you what to do about yourself... Get yourself into alanon or naranon right away... do everything in your power to protect yourself and your two kids.. put the three of you first..

My AH is addicted to opiates and is right now on Suboxone... I can't imagine the horror it must be for you to discover that he wants to use crack.. I don't know to much about crack and I thank God that so far I have never had to deal with it with my AH... there are some recovering crack addicts who post here who are awesome and they may be better equiped at giving you some more insight..
Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have no control over his actions.

What are you doing for yourself and the kids?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
You have no control over his actions.

What are you doing for yourself and the kids?
I agree. Addiction will suck you and those children into a black hole that you couldn't imagine in your worst nightmares.

My oldest daughter lived the first 8 years of her life with at least one, and then two active addicts in the home.

I was blessed and hit a bottom, found recovery, and have been clean/sober for many years now. I left the AH for my own sanity/safety/recovery.

Now that daughter is 30 years old and an active addict herself. She has lost custody of her children, has a felony record, is on probation again, and she'll tell you to your face she doesn't have a problem.

What legacy do you want to pass on to your children?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just want to say welcome kduker. Not an easy position to be in as a wife of an NA, and children are effected in so many ways as well. Keep reading and posting you will learn so much here. I would recommend alanon or naranon meetings to help you as well.

Thankfully your AH is on suboxone. Is he open to going to NA meetings?

One thing that concerns me though is the next quote....

Now that his fog has lifted he has an urge to use a different drug-crack. It will tear our family apart.
I'm surprised by this. And it makes me wonder if he's used crack before.

Again welcome kduker, your not alone on this painful road.
:ghug

NH7
Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I dont know but "he has an urge to use a different drug-crack" sounds so off-handed like - I think i'll wash the car today, I think I'll do some crack. I dont know why someone would just randomly get the urge to use crack unless they were using. I think first you might want to realistically look at the situation - is he using crack or just thinking about it. If he is using then stop denying or sugar-coating the actions. If he doesnt want to get help then there is nothing you can do. There are many resources for help with drug problems so that's just not an excuse you should accept. Before you get drawn into the neverending drama of living with an addict get yourself some help so when the shat hits the fan you have some tools to help you get outta the way.

We all love the addict in our life. I would venture to say that from what I hear - they all have loveable qualities (or at least have). Many of us deal with wonderful people who happen to have a drug problem so you're not alone. Drugs dont just seekout lowlife degenerates who no one loves - they are an equal opportunity destroyer.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Kduker)))

Welcome to SR!

I am a recovering crack addict. Prior to my crack addiction, I strongly abused opiates.

I agree with what others have said..you need to take care of you and the kids. He is not going to get into recovery, most likely, until he faces some bad consequences and loses his enablers.

If he is using crack, please make sure he has limited or no access to money; be aware that can sell practically anything in your house for crack; that he can "rent" out your car for crack; that he can, and probably will, have drug paraphenalia in your house, with your children.

Some people who use crack can get paranoid and violent.

I am not trying to scare you, but crack is evil and I hate it and what it does to people.

It sounds, to me, like he doesn't want recovery. It is up to you, to decide what YOU want from life for you and your kids. Without recovery, we addicts can drag the people who love us down, and keep them down for a long, long time. Just when you think it can't get worse, it will.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-12-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

my son is a crack addict. i feel the pain & know the pain you are going thru. it will not get any better. he does not want to get clean if he will not go to a meeting. they are free & they work if you work it. i am so sorry for you. read the thread at the top of athe forum"what addicts do". he will do any thing for the drug. get yourself to a meeting. you can not help him. i watch my daughter in law go thru hell for 10 long yrs. today my son is serving a 9yr. sentence in prison because he was not ready to get clean. i promise you, it will only get worse. welcome to S.R. & please keep coming back. prayers for you & for him.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winnie12 View Post
I dont know but "he has an urge to use a different drug-crack" sounds so off-handed like - I think i'll wash the car today, I think I'll do some crack. I dont know why someone would just randomly get the urge to use crack unless they were using.
Winnie, you are right. Urge is ackward language in this context. How does one urge for something they have not tried?

Is this the fry pan into the fire?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am also new to navigating this forum/post thing, and my God, I am so thankful tonight.
As my husband is in the garage, smoking crack, I am at the computer reading all these replies. WOW! I just had an Ah Hah moment. I am the queen of helping people. And to know that my so called "help" will actually not help, but most likely hurt.....namely me and my kids, I have come to a conclusion. My battle is my own. And his, is his own.
I know I will not leave him, nor make him leave us. But maybe, my idea of helping should not be screaming and yelling about drugs and money. It should be about NA. I see the want in him to stop. I see the want in him to face the demons of his past. He listens to me for the most part. Do you think, if he starts going to meetings, that he could stop??? And yes, he beat crack about 11 yrs ago, I know he can do it again.
Overly optimstic wife? I don't know. Nothing wrong with optimism, I hope.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Although you are right, about the battles being yours and his, don't forget you have children who are the innocents in this. If anyone in law enforcement gets wind that he is smoking crack in the vicinity of your children, you and he will go to jail (child endangerment) and the children will be removed and placed "in the system".

Sure, we can recover from crack. I'm living proof. But I certainly didn't do it because I was allowed to live in a nice comfy house with a loving family, allowed to go to the garage and "do my thing" then come back in when I was done. Heck, if I'd had it that easy, I doubt I'd have even thought about getting clean.

Sorry to be harsh, but your "optimism" is, in my opinion, just going to keep him using. I got into recovery because I got tired of the consequences that came with my using. From the looks of it, he doesn't HAVE any consequences.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Why would he quit? He has his wife and kids in the house while he's in the garage smoking crack. I pray your children never see him do it or come across it and something terrible happens.

And Impurr is right. You would lose your children if this got out and you knew he was using drugs and did not remove the children from the premises or kick him out. They would be lost in the system and you would likely be in jail right beside him. Crack is nothing to take lightly.

It's not your battle, no. Yelling/screaming about drugs will only make things worse (and chances are, will damage the children emotionally and mentally if they're around that constantly.)

You're sending a message to your children that it's ok to do drugs. You need to make your decisions and stick to them, but be willing to face the consequences of your actions, be it legal or marital.

Good luck. I hope it works out.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your struggle or battle or goal is take care of you. Find a meeting for you. If he chooses to he will help himself. Take care of those kids and you. Remember, you didn't cause, can't control it and can't cure it.

I read your words about "he's in the garage.... and you are in the house looking for help" and I had an instant flashback and stab in my heart. It's not ok. It took me a long time to be strong and stand up for me and the kids. Don't let it take you so long. All the best and keep coming back here. That is a great first step! HUGS
Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kduker View Post
But maybe, my idea of helping should not be screaming and yelling about drugs and money. It should be about NA. I see the want in him to stop. I see the want in him to face the demons of his past. He listens to me for the most part. Do you think, if he starts going to meetings, that he could stop??? And yes, he beat crack about 11 yrs ago, I know he can do it again.
Overly optimstic wife? I don't know. Nothing wrong with optimism, I hope.
Screaming and yelling about any of this is not going to make any difference.

Screaming and yelling at him to go to NA is not going to make a difference.

Silence and ignoring that he's firing up in the garage, brings it into your face and makes it OK.

No matter what you do, or not, you cannot fix this.

I suspect you are hearing him say he wants to stop. The reality is that it's all about his actions, what he is doing , not his words.

I take a hard line about demons of the past.

Millions were horrifically murdered in concentration camps, during WW2. And millions survived. I cannot imagine the demons that haunted most of the survivors who were very young, back then. And yet, they did not, generally speaking, turn to drugs and alcohol to numb their pain and forget. Why is that?

My point is that those who abuse substances and alcohol and in turn, those that care about them, are prone to blame it on the demons of their past. The reality is they all thought they could control it and not become addicted.

Those that care about them have a tendency to do the " it's not so bad" denial thing. They rationalize addiction. They make excuses for it. They believe the words and go blind to the actions, what's really going on.

They drive themselves nuts, believing they can fix or compel their love one cured. You did not cause it. You cannot cure it. And you cannot control it.

What can you do for yourself and your children to keep the focus on your own well being and not on his problem?

There are Alanon and Naranon groups in your area. Some might even have child care. Pick up a copy of Codependent No More by Melody Beattie, at your library or used on Amazon.com, for $4.00. It could save your sanity.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
Millions were horrifically murdered in concentration camps, during WW2. And millions survived. I cannot imagine the demons that haunted most of the survivors who were very young, back then. And yet, they did not, generally speaking, turn to drugs and alcohol to numb their pain and forget. Why is that?
WOW! that may be one of the most powerful statements I've read in a long time. It really makes you think.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I honestly have to say I am almost speechless.
I dont quite get what you mean by you are thankful tonight. Your husband is in the garage smoking crack?
And I dont think someone who looks like they want to stop would be firing up in their garage. Especially when there are kids around.
Someone that wants to stop would have their ass in a treatment center. Or some type of program, Actively seeking some kind of help. Not smoking rocks.
You might as well stamp sucker on your forehead.
I really hope you find some bounderies before its too late.
For your kids sake.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the input. What I am thankful for is this website. It has been a week since my husband used. It has also been a week since his antidepressants ran out. Is there a connection? I printed a list of NA meetings in our area. I know he wants to be sober, but he just doesn't know how. It seemed like the antidepressants made him feel so good, that he just wanted to use. I know it sounds weird, but when he feels healthy and happy, he also feels like using. I am thankful too, for this past week of having my husband back. I realize that I cannot love him out of his addiction, but I do love him. Thank you again, all, for the encouragement. I will keep you posted
Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Any excuse is a good excuse for an addict to smoke crack. I feel good lets celebrate with crack. I feel sad lets celebrate with crack. I'm really frustrated lets celebrate with crack. I just got paid lets celebrate with crack.

Have you thought about boundaries? If there are no consequences for using crack, then there is no reason to quit using crack.

That's nice that you spent time researching NA for him. But what about for you? What about alanon or reading codependent no more or loving them sober (both books).

Crack addiction doesn't just go away... and just because an addict wants to be sober doesn't mean he can be sober. Recovery from Crack addiction is not a passive process. To even have a chance at recovery, an addict has to engage in ongoing hard work. Be assured that if he puts no effort into recovery, the minute he experiences a trigger he will be off to buy more crack and he will be smoking it in your garage.

There is another great book out there called the crack busters work book. Here is a description of what your husband is doing right now:

Crack addiction is different from our usual understanding of addiction. Most of us, when we think about what it means to be addicted, form our opinions by looking at the addictive effects of drugs like alcohol, heroin or valium.

We feel that these users are definitely hooked, physically dependent. If they don't obtain their drug each and every day, they become physically sick.

Not so with Crack. Many Crack users can go for long periods, a week, a month, without using Crack and suffer no major physical withdrawal symptoms. At least not the type of heavy physical withdrawal symptoms we associate with heroin or alcohol addiction.

The common pattern among Crack abusers is to binge and abstain. It is possible to have a Crack binge, suffer the negative effects and abstain from using the drug for a period of time. Crack users often abstain from using Crack. Factors such as lack of money, inability to obtain the drug, or even a sincere intention to quit, make it possible for many Crack addicts to go for extended periods without using Crack.

The problem of course is that inevitably, the user will binge again. Binge and abstain, the cycle can go on for years. In fact, for many Crack users, this pattern of behavior constitutes their addiction. Except in severe cases, the Crack user does not see the heavy physical dependence on daily use or the heavy physical withdrawal symptoms associated with the stereotyped concepts of alcohol or heroin addiction.

For this reason, Crack addicts often think, "I'm not hooked like a heroin addict or an alcoholic who needs his drug every day or else. I didn't have enough money for Crack for the past two weeks and didn't use and no problem."

Because Crack users can get away with not using for short periods of time, they are known to fool themselves. They often feel that they can control their habit and continue to manage their lives, they feel that they are not addicted.

They feel that they can stop any time they really want to. What they often fail to realize however, is that even though the physical dependency may be minor when compared to other addictive drugs, they are the victims of a severe psychological addiction.

Crack is just as addictive as heroin if not more so, only the addiction exerts its domination over the user's life more through psychological control than physical dependency. Indeed, the psychological domination.
Let us know how things go for you.