Practicing Detachment

Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Practicing Detachment

I have entered a new phase of detachment, I think.
When I first began to try and understand what it meant to me, I felt as if abandonment and detachment were too similar for it to feel comfortable. I've come a long way, but I still struggle with day to day thoughts on the subject.

This past week I was blessed in having the opportunity to make an escape to a beautiful place with sunrises, a bay view and good company. As always, I had those fleeting "what if?" thoughts concerning not just my AS, but my other loved ones as well. On one particular good day I told myself (out loud) "Remember this moment, remember this day"

I'm home now, and have decided to keep that thought with me.

I have many, many blessing in my life. Moving forward, I hope to keep that thought in the forefront of every one of my days...I am blessed, and can live a blessed life if I let myself.

I don't pretend there will be no bad days, but I will not live in fear of them, or waste away the good waiting for them.

And, I am more than happy to share my good with my loved ones, should they care to join me...as I hope they will. This is the most important part of this learning experience for me...the realization that its up to them not me. And that the "happier" I am, the better role model I am.

I am blessed to have all of you walking with me.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Most of our personal happiness simply boils down to our perspective and attitude.
That saying " Keep it Simple " is a good one.

How wonderful that you got away to a beautiful place.
I love your idea "we can live a blessed life if we let ourselves."
Old 11-29-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome home, Cece - I missed ya

It's funny how simple it seems that the key to all of this is inside of each of us...I'm responsible for me and my happiness, my daughter for hers..you for yours, etc. Seems so simple, but it certainly isn't easy. But little by little, as I find that my positive outlook tends to result in positive outcomes, and as I learn to find things to be grateful for even when life is doing its thing, the simple idea does get easier and easier.

I like your philosophy and would like to join you
Old 11-30-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

and we are blessed with your share
thank you, CeCe....
Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what it is to me is choosing life. my life or my a.s.'s life. i want to be happy, i want to feel joy. the only way i can have these is let my a.s. go. i do this everyday. i pray, turn him over to God but keep him in my heart. my prayers are with u cece & with your son too.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cece, you are such a breath of fresh air and a huge inspiration to me.

My son has been missing for over 4 years and I had to make the choice whether to live well in MY recovery or live in hell in his. Choosing to live well, seeing the beauty in each sunrise and embracing whatever life hands me as some form of gift, even if strangely wrapped, has give me a new way of living and I love my life today.

I was inspired along the way by so many here who have walked with me. So many have faced tragic losses with such courage and grace that I am humbled to be able to call them "friend". Thank you, Cece, for walking with me and sharing my sunrises and sunsets and all the beautiful days in between.

I don't pretend there will be no bad days, but I will not live in fear of them, or waste away the good waiting for them.
Amen, sister!!! And Amen again!

Hugs
Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that beautiful message, cece, and welcome back. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-30-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Welcome back Cece...

I needed that message today.

Hugs and hugs, and hugs....
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Cece, thanks for your great post. Detachment is an amazing thing; some days easier for me to understand than others. It's so important to practice all the time I've learned.

Some days I'm better at it than others and I couldn't tell you why. It's a practice for sure. I find it so helpful to read your post and consider the significance and meaning of detachment. I've been struggling with not getting pulled into some old things.

What a hopeful post. Thanks for reminding me of the process and inspiring me to continue.
Nea
Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for your lovely post, Cece. I love your attitude-like a breath of fresh air!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I want to say thankyou also Cece, your post is very helpful to me at this time...
Old 12-01-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post, cece! The sentence about the happier you are, the better role model you will be really struck a chord with me. I do consider myself a happy person. I've even been told by my addict that I'm so happy and full of life and I really hope that it does have a good influence on the people in my life.

Unless I'm really cranky, I always consider the glass half full!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

cece,
thank you for sharing your recovery with us. I have such a long way to go but you and all the others here at SR give me the strength and inspiration I need to move forward and live in today. thanking God for the blessings in my life.
((((hugs)))))))