OT-codie relapse with my cats

Old 11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT-codie relapse with my cats

My cats are treat-addicts. I've had to buy them different kinds, as I have bought out the store's supply of 3 different kinds. We have 3 cats...Mots (which stands for mouth-of-the-south, because he's LOUD), Elvis (my avatar), and Patches-the-pig. The last kind I got, Mots didn't like them. So I went to another store and got the kind they all 3 LOVED the week before and Patches didn't like them.

I told her, yesterday, that if she thought I was going to buy another kind for just her, she was crazy! I bought them today. I got home, gave her her own treats, and couldn't find the other kind for Elvis and Mots. I'm looking through the cabinets, have 2 cats YELLING at me, I'm yelling back, and had to call my stepmom to find out where she put them. Patches, in the meantime, has been enabled, and is purring like crazy.

We now have a deli assortment of cat treats, and I'm still a codie. Dad just laughs and says "you and your cats".

I consider it bribery...Patches is now laying on my feet and keeping them warm

BTW, Ann, they haven't moved the cat treats to another aisle, yet, but if they do, I'm going to raise he!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yer funny!!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

LOL..
Amy, have you given them Feline Greenies yet?
this stuff is cat crack in a bag! Hugs, Grateful
Old 11-25-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

so, I tried to reply, and Elvis erased it!

NO Anvil, we don't need to tell the cats I was barking at the cows for Bucky

((Grateful)) we already have ONE recovering crack addict in the house, can't imagine having FOUR!! Although, Anvil has fish crack they feed the fish...some kind of fish food the fish can't get enough of

I can NOT go into the kitchen without being meowed to death for treats. I tried to introduce them to the 12 steps, told them they were powerless over treats...they don't want to hear it.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amy, I do the same thing with my dogs. Instead of buying bulk bisquits, mine get a variety of treats. They probably don't care but I feel bad about them getting the same thing everytime. They also know that I am a softie and when I am home they ask to go outside multiple times because they know they always get a treat when they come inside. If my husband is home alone they don't even bother. We sure do love our fur babies, don't we. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-25-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Amy, you don't spoil your cats-they just have you well trained!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amy, my kitty Angel and dog Sammy love their treats too, whenever I come back from walking Sammy and give him his treat, Angel comes running for her treat. By the way your picture looks exactly like Princess, the kitty I use to have, but passed away five years ago. I think about her everytime I see your postings....
Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My Toby gets anything he wants, life is just easier that way

For instance, he has to have a different flavour of cat food at each meal and I have to alternate brands weekly. Only soft food (he's old and has lost some teeth) but crunchy snacks on top is okay, they get soft sitting there and he loves them. Oh...Swiss Chalet chicken on Mondays is a routine.

I don't know how you handle 3 cats, I can hardly keep up with the one I have.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I treat my cat like a baby and my son says I have a problem and need help. I told him I don't have a problem, it's his problem and 12 step programs are a big help
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who babies my furbabies Not only do we have the 3 cats, but also a chihuahua, who is equally spoiled. As much joy as they bring to our lives, I don't see a problem with it!

Hugs and prayers (and purrs)!

Amy
Old 11-25-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I told her, yesterday, that if she thought I was going to buy another kind for just her, she was crazy!
And what did she say back? Have you firmly and clearly established your boundaries?

I don't think you're enabling......I'd do a lot to get a warm, purring kitty on my feet too! (My Darby prefers my inner thigh so by morning I have cramps because I haven't moved my legs all night)
Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have to admit my cats and dogs have me well trained too. Fortunately the other humans around me just laugh about it.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Old 11-26-2008, 02:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

With 4 huge dogs and two outside cats, treats were sometimes a major problem. They have their own routines and gang up on me. Treat time!!!!! I buy store bought treats but have found out it is less expensive and probably more healthy to make homemade treats for the dogs. A major treat for the outside cats, fresh catch tiny fish. Heck, last year when I came home from fishing I think every cat in the neighborhood showed up.

Thanksgiving-ugh-those noses will be smelling the cooking.

Ann-you are too funny.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

you are so funny Impurrfect. I'm a cat person - had my wolfie for 17 years when one day he went off to the woods and never came home. I couldnt even get another cat so my family got me a dog. Dog???? but that little puppy crawled up in my arms 4 years ago and now is my constant companion. We got a kitty a few months ago and the two are best buddies and drive me crazy because now they both follow me everywhere - its like a parade just going to mailbox. I know i look like a crazy lady

my AS is so jeolous of the dog - says i love the dog more than him. Ummmm..... the dog is always nice to me, never calls me names, welcomes me at the door as if her life is complete now that i'm home, curls up with me when i'm sad, protects me from all those invisible strangers she sees, and never asks me for anthing more than food and love .... uh yeah i admit it i do prefer the dog's company over him most days.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cat Codependency - thanks for breaking the silence and ending the shame! Here's my story:

Pinky was losing all his fur. We spend almost $300 on allergy tests and found out he is allergic to two common cat food ingredients (rice and fish). Got a list of acceptable cat foods from the testing company. The cheap stuff was OK, but only in a few limited types, all of which were the either "shredded" , "chunks", or "sliced".

That was OK until Tally, our old girl, lost all her teeth and now can only eat "patte" type food.

So I had to find patte'd cat food without any rice or fish in the ingredients. You can NOT believe how much money I've been spending on fancy feast. But only 2 flavors fit the criteria and they are getting tired of those flavors.

So I decided to do my own patte-ing with the 'cheap' stuff again. I mashed up the chunks, etc and put it down for them in their bowls. Doncha know, they sniffed and walked away, now totally spoiled by Fancy Feast.

So I went on line and found this cat food made of "Pure Beaver". patte'd of course. (no, I'm not kidding).

$2 a can.

I also have tried spam but its too salty for their highnesses.

BTW, we also have a 3rd cat who poops on my pillow, amoung other places, just to make a passive-agressive statement, on a regular (no pun intended) basis . She is half Saimese (need I say more?).
Old 11-26-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

believe it or not, when I was young, I was allergic to cats..couldn't be around them without sneezing my head off, and getting all stuffed up. Guess God decided to get rid of that allergy...Thank you God!

Time to go give my furbabies their special treats and get to work...SOOOOO glad to know I'm in good company with my cat (and dog) codieness. My niece is going to make the dog some scrambled eggs when she wakes up

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

no cats, no dogs, not today. i have had my share of them & loved & babied all of them. today i have birds. sally,my male parakette (4yrs. old in jan.)that i thought was a girl until i got my love bird.(she was 3 in sept.) peaches is her name. they are babied also. it is amazing what we do for our babys.
mine get new treats & new toys on a regular basic. who wouldn't do for them when they give you kisses & lay in your hand & sleep while you rub there necks. they are the sweetest & bring me such joy.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Amy,
Now you have to remember

Dogs have owners
Cats have staff

And my crew, the dog will eat dog bones, they have to be given in the morning after breakfast, especially if her buddy from next store comes to visit. If I'm late she has a fit and dances around the kitchen and barks.

But the kitties, all three of them now, don't do cat treats, but they do all arrive quickly when they hear the cutting board. That means the real stuff!!! MEAT may appear any minute and of course the dog joins in. Do you realize how long it takes to make a sandwich when you've got to hand out many little pieces of meat? Not on the floor mind you but right into their mouths. No contamination for them oh no no......
Codie???? ya think?????
Old 11-26-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think we could start our own furbabies (and feathers) anonymous group! A friend of ours has 2 st. bernards. He buys the BIG bags of chicken, cooks it up and gives them the meat, because it's cheaper (and better for them) than dog food. He also had his favorite cat, who his wife didn't like, so when she left the house, he snuck the cat in, and let the cat drink from a fountain he had in the living room. The cat also had gourmet food

Right now, stepmom and Mots are arguing over who "owns" the couch..wonder who will win?