OT-debt consolidation services

Old 11-23-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question OT-debt consolidation services

I told my daughter that I would post this and see if anyone has used a debt consolidation service and which one was good. She has managed to pay off all of her smaller debts. Next month she will pay off a larger one. She still is also paying every month on a $3100 hospital debt. Because she is doing the right thing and paying off the full amount of each debt the other people that she owes now have her new address and are sending the threatening letters. This being two credit cards and her cell phone bill. It totals about another $3,000. She wants to get in contact with a debt consolidator and put those three bills into consolidation. That way when she pays off the one bill next month she will then just take that money and pay a consolidation company. So if anyone has had good luck with a particular company would you please share. It is so difficult to know which one of the many thousands would help her without ripping her off. Thanks, Marle
Old 11-23-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't used one, but I do know that some are good and some are scams.

One suggestion, call the county welfare services in your area and see if they have a recommendation.

My sister paid a lot of money to one debt consolidator and then found out from another that she really needed to file bankruptcy - money down the drain.

Another option is that some women's shelters and churches offer financial counseling - those folks would also know the best people for this work. There are some non-profit organizations that not only help with debt consolidation, but also financial counseling, etc. for free.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

years ago, I went to consumer credit counseling, which is FREE. I was young, dumb, and had run up 13 credit cards to the max. They were able to get all interest and late fees stopped, except one, which was the credit card I owed the most on. I was finally advised to file bankruptcy, because I was having to pay more on this one credit card, than to all the other 12, so I did.

That was 24 years ago, and, as far as I know, they are still around, so I would check with them first. They will make her list all her expenses, down to her TANNING LOTIONand will be pretty strict about they consider "reasonable" so she may not like it, but it may be what she needs? They also ask about medications, healthcare...everything you can possibly think about in a budget, including "emergency money".

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm from Canada so I don't know how different it is in the US ... BUT ... my suggestion would be to see a Bankruptcy trustee ... they will advise her on her best options. The initial consult should be free.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I second the Consumer Credit counseling service, they are very good about negotiating with your creditors and helping you pay off your debt.. they have a website.. http://www.cccsatl.org/
Old 11-23-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a really good experience with this company. They only ask that you give what you can as a donation for their services..I gave $5.oo a month...I was 20,000 in debt 6 years ago and with this service I am now down to about $2,000 and quickly closing in on the balance.
Care One Credit

Debt Consolidation and Credit Counseling
Old 11-23-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I will give the info to my daughter and let her figure it out Hugs, Marle
Old 11-23-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i used auriton solutions Auriton Debt Consolidation Credit Counseling
Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Marle,

This is great that you are talking about how to pay bills instead of her using.

These are things that are manageable. I just want to bring attention to this as somewhat as a good problem.