Some good news about Homeless AS in NYC..

Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some good news about Homeless AS in NYC..

Through a drop-in center he now has a "home" for 90 days. It's way uptown, but instead of a giant shelter, it's a house with 4 -5 bedrooms, 3 - 4 men to a room. It's age limited for 18 - 24 yr. olds.

He's gets breakfast and dinner, a weekly subway card, sheets, towels, soap...etc. He has to be out by 9 am and not allowed back in until 7 pm. They will allow him to continue on methadone unlike 90% of existing shelters.

He sounds much more positive. Continues to be looking for work (not a great time in todays economy) and is doing some serious thinking about his next step.

I'll take it---worry factor has gone out of the Red Zone down to High Normal...Wahoo!! But One Day At a Time.

Thanks for all the support...much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Hurtingdad,

Sounds pretty good! I am so glad you found this place, hopefully they could refer him to some type of program to get a job. I am also glad your feeling a tiny bit better!!

Can you PM the name of the place if you dont mind... I work at a Fostercare agency and we have this young guy about 22 years old, who aged out of care and isnt doing much for himself and I believe is homeless.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is awesome news! I hope he finds some employment. That should build his confidence even more.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful news. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a step in the right direction. If he finds a job and after the 90 days are up maybe he should check out these places called "Oxford Houses". They have a very good website and there are bunches of them in my area.

My son will get out of a 90 day program on Wednesday and we are going to an interview tomorrow night at an Oxford House. I don't have any personal knowledge of them but their philosophy sounds perfect for someone in early recovery.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How wonderful Dad! He is taking these necessary steps towards recovery!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is SO great! I know how much stress must be lifted from you! My brother was homeless for some time and it hurts! I hope things go his way Dad!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He's gets breakfast and dinner, a weekly subway card, sheets, towels, soap...etc. He has to be out by 9 am and not allowed back in until 7 pm. They will allow him to continue on methadone unlike 90% of existing shelters.

I'll take it---worry factor has gone out of the Red Zone down to High Normal...Wahoo!!
Now as we all bow our head and say............Thankyou Lord
Old 11-10-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Snickers., before my son relapsed two months ago, he had been living clean & sober & working at an Oxford House in NJ for 9+ months. It's a good situation of course not a perfect one. A lot of it depends on the house manager and the other clients living there. If you want to find trouble and screw up, you can -- people get kicked out all the time. If you want to work your program and do well, you can do that to. AA or NA meetings are mandatory and they do P Test. Best wishes to your son.

Unfortunately they don't allow members who are on methadone, which my son is on at this time. The politics involved with Methadone and suboxon are very strange -- but that's another story.

Prayers to all you.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for your son. I know that you can't help the worrying but next time maybe you can remind yourself that he found a way this time and that he will again. That way you can put that worry into perspective. We really need to take care of ourselves. All that stress does not help our aging bodies Hugs, Marle
Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((Hurtingdad)))

Hey, I'm with you...sounds like a step in the right direction, and I'll take that kind of news any day!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-10-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hurting Dad, this is wonderful news! Congrats :ghug3
Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hurting dad,
That is great news. Now hopefully you can take a deep Sigh and get some rest.

Prayers for you and your son..........
Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fabulous news and he did this on his own. He has an address, a place to shower, some food and with some luck, he might manage to snag a job, even if just for the holidays.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'm so very happy for him...
And for you.

Remember to take care of yourself.
And know that we are all thankful that your boy has found a place to lay his head and find his way, if he will.
My thoughts and prayers remain. :praying

Shalom!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
BBD

Sounds like a good plan for now Hurting Dad.....I'm glad he's out of the cold at night. You are such an awesome dad for stepping aside and letting your son find his way. I know the worry continues but this sounds likea step in the right direction...hugs, Bonnie
Old 11-11-2008, 03:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

Every day we wake up and we walk with what we have. Today your walk will be a little lighter, so will mine thanks to your uplifting post!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How nice to sign on this morning and see a positive thing! I'm so glad your son will be able to stay warm at night, shower, and be assured some food. I'll also pray he can find a job..anything that would make something good happen for him. I went to an NA meeting last night, and a woman said that her belief that kept her going when her daughter was in active addiction, was that every addict needs to know that someone loves them, that if and when they choose a sober life, that someone was in there corner rooting for them. She said this caused her to see her daughter on the streets every week, and tell her each week, that she loved her very much, and was there for her when she chose she had enough. Her daughter has now been sober for 4 years. I'm glad your son has you.

Eileen
Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
rozied

Dear Hurtindad, What wonderful news. I was so glad to hear your son has found a place to live. I know you must be relieved. Prayers that he continues to find his way.
Diane
Old 11-11-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hurtingdad,
I was glad to read this one. At least he has a warm bed to sleep in and stay out of the cold at night. Makes you rest a little easier too.