Husband is now clean...but can't sleep?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband is now clean...but can't sleep?

My husband has been 100% clean of alchohol and cocaine since August 28th.

he is having the worst time trying to sleep. he says he just tosses and turns all night.

Could this be the effect of the cocaine still lurking in his brain? I know the cocaine will still be effecting him for quite awhile before all traces are 'gone'.

Any personal experience on this?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Insomnia sucks. I don't know what's causing his. It could be previous drugs. It oculd be the enconomy. It could be anything. It's really impossible to say. Has he checked with a doctor? Tried cutting out caffeine? Melatonin supplements?

Good luck to him!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The cocaine isn't still in his system. I had a horrible time sleeping the first year I was clean. Some of the things suggested were exercise, if even a brisk walk during the day, relaxation tapes, perhaps a good book on yoga techniques.

Granted I was tired a lot, but it did eventually pass.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My RAH has been in clean for over a year and he is still having insomnia problems. We're thinking of trying him on a sleep aid and will talk to a doctor about it first (who knows his past drug use.) Not sure there's much they can do, though.

There was a time when I couldn't get to sleep w/o the help of a sleep aid (tylenol pm/benadryl.) I took one because of a headache and insomnia and then it just kind of steam-rolled from there. I had to wean myself off slowly in order to sleep again. It's like I had re-train my body to learn how to fall asleep w/o it.

I do great now, but it took months for me and I am not a recovering drug addict. I imagine it's the same with alcohol, though. I will say, my personal experience with alcohol is that you get to sleep pretty fast, but then you're up and wide awake after a few hours anyway. So, who knows.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Another possible solution: have him read some Henry James right before bed. That would knock anyone out. (lmao)
Old 11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah - I doubt its the actual "substance" in his body that is affecting him. Instead - I would guess it's the lingering thoughts/feelings of the habit & it being gone that cause the sleeplessness. I liken it to the death of a loved one or a breakup or divorce from someone you loved. I've had relationships where, when they were over - I was not only fine - but feeling better than when I was in the relationship. Other times, I couldn't eat, sleep or anything. I was missing them - and grieving the thought of never being with them again. This has been as little as a day - and as long as a year & a half.

For someone who is a recovering addict - I would imagine that the loss of all of the thoughts & activity that surrounded doing their drug has to drive them nuts at times - whether conscious or subconsciously.

I personally would pick up a new hobby/acitivy/exercise that physically drains me about 30 minutes before bedtime. The thought put into the new activity coupled with the physical aspect might help both the mind & body.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you sure he is 100% clean?

when my ah stopped using cocaine for 3 months, one of the few ways i could tell that he had stopped was that he was able to go to sleep at night. Now, one of the only ways i can tell that he is still using is because he cant fall alseep some nights. And if i speculate, usually there is some other sign to back up my instincts and prove me right.

It could be that he is clean and that all of the "guilt" is causing him to toss and turn, and I hope that is the case. I am just sharing from my own experience that sleepness nights are a #1 symtpom of cocaine use. There are other things that can cause it though, and if you are sure he is clean, than it must be something else, right?? BUt i agree with the posts above...the cocaine is not still in his system causing the sleeplessness unless he has used recently.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

NO, I'm not 100% sure. I will NEVER be able to trust 100% that he's clean.

He gave me all credit cards and debit....he only has one debit card now which I control how much is in there. I never let him have more than $40 available at a time.,,,but most of the time only $20.

My gut feeling says 'something' is going on but no idea what! ARGH

Originally Posted by drainedwife View Post
Are you sure he is 100% clean?

when my ah stopped using cocaine for 3 months, one of the few ways i could tell that he had stopped was that he was able to go to sleep at night. Now, one of the only ways i can tell that he is still using is because he cant fall alseep some nights. And if i speculate, usually there is some other sign to back up my instincts and prove me right.

It could be that he is clean and that all of the "guilt" is causing him to toss and turn, and I hope that is the case. I am just sharing from my own experience that sleepness nights are a #1 symtpom of cocaine use. There are other things that can cause it though, and if you are sure he is clean, than it must be something else, right?? BUt i agree with the posts above...the cocaine is not still in his system causing the sleeplessness unless he has used recently.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For sure I agree with all of this. thanks for your input

THANK YOU ALL for your input!

I'm sure he does miss his daily drug use. He enjoyed it. I have no idea what he is truly going through. What kind of demons he's fighting with now.

He always answers his phone...always!!!! I've been phoning his cell for the past hour and he's not answering.. its scaring the crap outta me and my mind is going in all directions. Not answering his work phone either!

If he was never into drugs i wouldn't be as worried as I am right now

:praying

Originally Posted by sknyfats View Post
Yeah - I doubt its the actual "substance" in his body that is affecting him. Instead - I would guess it's the lingering thoughts/feelings of the habit & it being gone that cause the sleeplessness. I liken it to the death of a loved one or a breakup or divorce from someone you loved. I've had relationships where, when they were over - I was not only fine - but feeling better than when I was in the relationship. Other times, I couldn't eat, sleep or anything. I was missing them - and grieving the thought of never being with them again. This has been as little as a day - and as long as a year & a half.

For someone who is a recovering addict - I would imagine that the loss of all of the thoughts & activity that surrounded doing their drug has to drive them nuts at times - whether conscious or subconsciously.

I personally would pick up a new hobby/acitivy/exercise that physically drains me about 30 minutes before bedtime. The thought put into the new activity coupled with the physical aspect might help both the mind & body.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All those times I didn't trust my gut with my EXAH, I should have.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

UPDATE!

Thank god he finally phoned! PHEW... at this point I'm just relieved he's alive
Old 11-10-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lots of talk about this on the SA board. Melatonin was highly suggested. MY AH is having the exact same problem after being clean for about 2 months.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My daughters' DOC was cocaine and she had a horrible time falling to sleep while first being clean. Look into melatonin and other herbal remedies. I know my daughter wasn't allowed to take many meds (even over the counter stuff).
Good luck, I think it is just part of the clean process.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A multi-vitamin taken 1 hr before bed will help.

Also extra vitamin B (sublingual drops). These go under the tongue.

The same vitamins and minerals his body was born with have to be put back into his body on a daily basis. These were all lost due to drug use. Along with his program, I promise he will feel physically and mentally better after doing this. His sleep will become regulated as well.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have had insomnia for years and I have never taken anything stronger than an asprin. The thing about insomnia is that sooner or later, the body does indeed crash and gets the sleep it needs.

Caffiene, nicotine, TV, lack of physical exercise and a willy-nilly schedule contribute to insomnia. I am willing to bet that at least two of these are factors in his insomnia. What do you think?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
I have had insomnia for years and I have never taken anything stronger than an asprin. The thing about insomnia is that sooner or later, the body does indeed crash and gets the sleep it needs.

Caffiene, nicotine, TV, lack of physical exercise and a willy-nilly schedule contribute to insomnia. I am willing to bet that at least two of these are factors in his insomnia. What do you think?
OH ya! most of those contribute every night. he's a smoker, drinks coffee daily, watches tv all night and does not exercise.

I'm sure that won't be changing. The last few days eats been eating 2 bananas before bed and he says he thinks it might be helping him..who knows?

He has multi-vitamins...now he just needs to take them! Its actually a good idea for him I should have already thought about!